+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: couple of questions about jailbreaking

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
so my brother gave me his old iphone. i'm pretty sure its the 3g 16 gb. the version says its 3.1.3 (7E18). I would like to jailbreak my phone cuz
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default couple of questions about jailbreaking
    so my brother gave me his old iphone. i'm pretty sure its the 3g 16 gb. the version says its 3.1.3 (7E18). I would like to jailbreak my phone cuz it kicks ***. my buddy has a jailbroken itouch and its sweet.

my questions:

after you jailbreak an iphone, can you still use it to make calls and all that good stuff? basically does it still function like it did before?

Is there anything special i need to do to the firmware or version or whatever so i can jailbreak it?

any help is greatly appreciated!

thanks a lot guys!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi, farbster22

Jailbreaking an iPhone will give you the same functionality as before it was jailbroken, except you get more options to modify your phone to your liking.

Since you have a 3G, 16GB on 3.1.3, you can jailbreak it without updating your firmware. Currently, even if you choose to update your firmware to iOS4 (which includes multitasking), you still will be able to jailbreak, unlock, and make calls. All in all, you'll still be able to do everything you were able to do before the jailbreak.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 123babe For This Useful Post:

farbster22 (07-08-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

thanks dude. any advice on which program to use to jailbreak it?

Thanks

RedSn0w 0.95b5
    You are certain it's a 3G not 3GS?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

farbster22 (07-08-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

pretty sure. doesnt the 3GS have a compass? mine don't. model number is MB048LL if that helps. and i'm runnin windows if that matteres

Thanks

Just to be 100% certain - on the back of the phone by FCC ID it says A1241?
    It's locked to AT&T - is that who you are using it on?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

yeah it says model no a1241 and then the fcc id number. and yes its locked to at&t but i dont want to unlock it i just want it jailbroken.

also i was just wondering. should i update to the 4.0 firmware? i just googled the redsnow and i found it with updating and it seemed pretty simple. would that be the easiest route?
    Last edited by farbster22; 07-08-2010 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Updating to iOS 4 and jailbreaking with redsn0w is, in fact, very simple. Download the firmware iOS4 for your 3G, update through iTunes 9.2, run redsn0w, point to the downloaded firmware, check Cydia, follow instructions, and voila, you have a jailbroken iPhone.

From my experience, 3G with iOS4 is OKAY. It's not great. You WILL experience lagginess. Just remember to delete the inactive programs in multitasking to prevent any lag. (double click on the home button, a menu will pop up with the programs you're running, hold down a program, delete).

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 123babe View Post
    Updating to iOS 4 and jailbreaking with redsn0w is, in fact, very simple. Download the firmware iOS4 for your 3G, update through iTunes 9.2, run redsn0w, point to the downloaded firmware, check Cydia, follow instructions, and voila, you have a jailbroken iPhone.

From my experience, 3G with iOS4 is OKAY. It's not great. You WILL experience lagginess. Just remember to delete the inactive programs in multitasking to prevent any lag. (double click on the home button, a menu will pop up with the programs you're running, hold down a program, delete).
    just uncheck multitasking on the redsnow menu when installing, prevents most of the lag.. i tried it the first time with multitask and backgrounds enabled and it's just too slow to be useable

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so which route should i take? update to 4.0 or leave it at 3.1.3?

and i was just thinking.. whatever is best to do where can i find a good step by step guide that will work?
    Last edited by farbster22; 07-08-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Heres the guide. Definitely disable multitasking.

How to Jailbreak 4.0 iPhone 3G/iPod Touch 2g on OS X/Windows
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?