Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: After JB, AT&T sees iPhone as a RAZR, free data now... (really?)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Default After JB, AT&T sees iPhone as a RAZR, free data now... (really?)
    So, I finally JB my roomies iPhone 3G. She had 3.0.1, I added 3.1.3 and used Spirit.

A few weeks later, she had to make changes to her AT&T acct, and they showed her line as using a RAZR now (a spare phone she sometimes uses on that simcard). Shes not used the RAZR in many months and has been actively using her 3G access all along, still does now weeks after they removed the data plan from the line. AT&T doesn't recognize her iPhone as a smartphone anymore.

So in a nutshell, she now has a full data plan piggybacked on a basic calling plan unbeknownst to AT&T.

That seems odd to me. Could I do something similar to use my iPhone? Set it up, change phones, JB the iPhone and throw the sim back in and call AT&T for a plan change? She's had her acct for years, so it may be a unique situation to her plan timing and whatnot that allowed this oversight/loophole.

Anyways, just curious. I recall hearing you couldn't use an iPhone anymore without a data plan (as you once could), no exceptions.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Sounds like she's gotten lucky. My guess is that AT&T will eventually catch the mistake.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianbroste View Post
    Sounds like she's gotten lucky. My guess is that AT&T will eventually catch the mistake.
    That's what I'm thinking too.

Perhaps they won't notice and she'll catch a break.

She hardly uses the 3G aside from checking an email and maybe the weather anyways, so she's always wanted to get rid of data charges and just use the iPhone as a phone. AT&T has decided you can't have an iPhone and not be an internet junkie on it. Perhaps she gets the last laugh after all.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Wait until the bill arrives. From experience, that is when most people find out that they have been charged some kind of data plan. Data is never free, even for regular phones. Hopefully your friend got lucky, but that is highly unlikely.

she'll get billed for data used and probably scream pretty loud when she reads the bill