+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Despite restores, phone (3G) continues to enter recovery mode

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Well I thought maybe a successful restore would fix my phone's problem of an unresponsive blank screen if idle for as little as 5 min (but as long as a
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Despite restores, phone (3G) continues to enter recovery mode
    Well I thought maybe a successful restore would fix my phone's problem of an unresponsive blank screen if idle for as little as 5 min (but as long as a couple hours), but I was wrong. My phone, which is originally 3.0 firmware, took me at least 10 attempts over 2 days at restoring it before I could get through the entire process without an error in itunes (6 - majority, 36 - one or two times, 1600 - early in recovery process for specific firmwares) or have it freeze with redsn0w. Basically, I've noticed that having the phone play music can delay the inevitable coma but it always comes. Sometimes I could revive it with a hard reset but after a few of those it would take a connect to the computer and another hard reset. If that didn't work I did a restore, which I have done three - only being able to successfully restore to iOS 4. The restores do not seem to have fixed the problem and since yesterday (second successful restore onwards) the phone goes into this blank green screen with a hard reset sometimes. My hunch is that it's a hardware problem on the phone where the USB connects - my computer has made the device connected sound in multiples and the usb cable end kinda has a little bit of wiggle room on the right side. The battery is at the level as when it as was on, so I don't think its a battery problem.
    Help please! Thanks for reading!

iPhone? More like MyPhone sgt.pepper's Avatar
    Thanks

woah. you might wanna check it out with apple. that sounds crazy. never heard of anything like that before...

HIT THANKS IF I HELPED!

13 recovery mode restores
    7 dfu mode restores
    2 custom firmware restores

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh no .. I hope it doesn't come to that; What are the odds I can get service for this guy with it jailbroken and unlocked on T-mob? I guess the next time my phone goes into critical condition (i.e. needs a restore) I'll take it into the operating room

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am likely to take my phone into Apple tomorrow but I discovered a few new patterns including a potentially indicative one a few hours ago: After trying to do a hard reset to no avail while driving, I lay the phone on the passenger's seat as the car had its AC on full blast. 10 minutes later as I'm about to leave to pump gas, the silver apple logo comes up with black background. This got me to thinking about my phone heating up a noticeable amount a handful of times as well as my switching from silicon case to a 2-piece hard shell case (top & bottom .. versus front & back) about a month ago. Not to mention the summer weather! Since making this groundbreaking discovery, I've stripped the phone of its case and let it lounge on a leather couch in an AC'd house and have been experimenting with Supreme Preferences to see what keeps the phone healthy. I've noticed the phone running much smoother relative to its typical laggy jailbroken self (in at least since the preamble to this fiasco and possibly as smooth as in the entire year I've had it). On a seemingly minor note, the screen flickers on sometimes though I imagine this is fairly common with unlocked iPhones. Thus my new line of thought is fan/cooling/overheating issue?? Now if this requires hardware service, I'd think Apple repair $ wouldn't be worth it. Though I'm not sure this theory explains any the restore errors, redsn0w freezes, and lack of detection by ZiPhone and iBrickr.