Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iOS 4 on 3G slow? Turn off Spotlight

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default iOS 4 on 3G slow? Turn off Spotlight
    Title says it all - iPhone 3G apparently has trouble keeping up with indexing, ever since 3.x. Two days ago, I turned off Spotlight search (Settings-General-Home Button-Spotlight search-switch off all you don't use) because I rarely, if ever, used it.

Up to this day, my poor old 3G with iOS is way snappier than it was before, and I wouldn't hesitate to say it's as snappy as with 3.1.3. Stutter while open/close transitions is gone and apps load way faster. I've compared it to some youtube videos ([ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dySFHyKR_58]YouTube - iOS 4 Performance on iPhone 3G (Camera and Settings)[/ame]) and mine on iOS 4 performs almost as fast as theirs on 3.1.3.

This is not even a "Restore as new phone" install - it's restored from backup that has 7,5 GB out of 8 GB filled.

Please try this if you find your 3G struggling with iOS 4 and report back.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to stooovie For This Useful Post:

0blivious (08-04-2010), iainmann (07-25-2010), iNT3Rv3NTiONZz (07-26-2010), jellofosho (07-13-2010), Krak4211 (07-25-2010), lsufan51 (07-05-2010), Mddavid (07-25-2010), mr_motta1989 (07-30-2010), mustard05 (07-05-2010), snowdweller (07-06-2010), Tamkis (07-19-2010), tattoojack (07-25-2010), tecpunk64 (07-06-2010)

interesting. was wondering if you could kill Spotlight. I've never ever used it.

going to try it out
    iPhone 4G 32 GB (2 of them)
    OS 5.0.1
    JB Utility: redsn0w 0.9.10b1

Green Apple
    Thanks

I noticed a huge difference immediately. It runs a lot quicker and smoother. I never used spotlight anyway.

I just put Redsnow 0.95 on my 3G with ios4.0, and it has helped tremendously. I love this combination.

Thanks for the tip!

I just tried it on my 3gs and it worked for me aswell!

Cheers for the tip!

iPhone? More like MyPhone RobberBoy's Avatar
    Thanks

just one thing.. does any1 able to untick the calender in spotlight.. it seems that i able to untick all except calender.. everytime i click it just stays ticked.. > < i dnt like 4.0 anyway too heavy and slow.. altho i tried to remove everything and daemons and language and some original apps like stock, mail, voicememos, youtube, etc2.. -.-" 3.1.3 ftw!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I wouldn't go as far as removing launchdaemons and stuff... it makes no real difference anyway.

My calendar unticks without any issues...

iPhone? More like MyPhone RobberBoy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stooovie View Post
    I wouldn't go as far as removing launchdaemons and stuff... it makes no real difference anyway.

My calendar unticks without any issues...
    it does affect my iphone tho, removing the launch daemons and language.. ;P diff ppl diff perspective.. haha.. and diff iphone diff hardware as in quality altho both are 3G...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Okay, glad it works for you it doesnt for me, even on my Mac removing daemons and languages makes no difference at all.

Hi OP...thanks for posting a fix...ill try it after work.

Did you Jailbreak your phone? If so, does unchecking multitasking make a difference in speed on your 3G phone?

Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi! I've tried multitasking with 3G, but it's so painful I would advise against it. I don't really need it anyway (didnt we use to say iPhone doesn't need multitasking anyway?).

My phone is jailbroken but that's it. I only did ot to try wallpaper and MT but hav both disabled. Not even Cydia is installed. I am just too lazy to restore again. Phone runs fine now.

Spotlight still comes up when you switch to it. That's kinda weird/dumb.

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gage006 View Post
    Spotlight still comes up when you switch to it. That's kinda weird/dumb.
    Because you are still able to use it as a quicksearch for Web and Wikipedia. Personally I really like this, even for my iPhone 4. The only times I have ever used spotlight were after they released iOS 4 and it was always just to use the search the web feature.

Beautiful!...It's works just like it works on 3.1.2, thanks OP!

Thanks

Interesting.. seems to be a tad bit faster on my 3G (non-JB)

Good find!

EDIT:

Been playing with the phone for about 30 min or so.. Seems MUCH faster than before! Apps open quicker, and even the games I play seem to run smoother.. Not sure exactly why that is.. but IDC, it works!
    Last edited by Shanks12; 07-13-2010 at 03:29 PM.

i have removed some launch deamons and language packs now this and imemoryenhancer and my 3g run great

I hope this is the answer to my lagging phone, but I can't seem to find where to turn spotlight off. I see on/off toggle for "Single-Click to Search" (which doesn't seem to work) under Supreme Preferences 3.0 > Home but aside from that, I see nowhere in settings the ability to turn off Spotlight ... though I couldn't follow your path; in the General menu, there's no "home button"? Is there something I need to install first? Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    It's there only on 3G. With 3GS, you cannot set what home button does, and thus the setting is elsewhere. Sorry, I don't have access to a 3GS.

Quote Originally Posted by stooovie View Post
    It's there only on 3G. With 3GS, you cannot set what home button does, and thus the setting is elsewhere. Sorry, I don't have access to a 3GS.
    Hmmm.. but I am of the 3G variety!

From my understanding, you go to settings>general>home>search results, and unchecked the ones you don't use. At least with my iPT3 on 3.1.3 that's how you do it. Might it be missing in supreme settings? I've never used it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast