Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Questions About Giving Wife My 3GS and Getting iphone 4

Default Questions About Giving Wife My 3GS and Getting iphone 4
    I was hoping some of you more experienced users could answer my questions

I have an iphone 3GS 32gb that is jail broken. The OS is currently 3.0.1 (74A400). My firmware says 04.26.08. I've never upgraded the OS because I was happy my iphone was jailbroken and scared I'd screw if up if I had to jailbreak it again.

My wife would like to inherit my 3GS which means I'll be getting an iphone 4. Here are some things I've been pondering since this is my first iphone and thus I've never had to transfer info from one phone to a new one:

(1) When I get the new iphone 4, is it as simply as just plugging it in to the computer and itunes will transfer all of the apps I've purchased, contacts, etc. to the new iphone 4?

(2) Probably more importantly, when my wife gets my phone and hooks it up to her laptop and runs itunes for the first time, what will happen to all the applications on my old 3GS she'll now be using. Will she be able to use it just like I did or will the apps I purchased not be available to her.

(3) Will it remain jailbroken or will itunes make her search for the latest OS and then I'll have to re-jailbreak it for her?

(4) As I said, I have 3.0.1 and everything works fine. I've read tons of posts about people with higher OS like 3.1.3 asking about jail breaking, etc. What I've been wondering is if I ever had to hit retore in itunes I guess it would just go back to 3.0.1 right? Then I'd just have to use one of the older jailbreak programs again to jail break? Dumb question, I know, but there is so much talk and guides for what to use if you have 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 that I've gotten confused. Could I actually move up to 3.1.2 and then jailbreak again instead of staying at 3.0.1?

Thanks for any help. I'll gladly provide any information you may need that I left out.

Personally, I'd sell the 3GS and get her an iPhone 4, too. You've gotta have someone for the video chat app! She'll like you for it!

(btw - this is what I'm actually doing - selling her 3G and my 3GS and getting us both iPhone 4's)

Thanks

1. Yes, just make sure you sync and backup your old phone before connecting your new phone. After you connect the new one just "restore from backup" and sync
    2. Does your wife have her own iTunes account or does she share yours? If you share, the apps will stay but by syncing to another machine it will want to wipe all music and video from the phone. My wife syncs to the same computer that I do, so we don't have that problem. iTunes will never automatically upgrade your phones firmware, so make sure that it iTunes asks to upgrade, you say no, (3) otherwise you will not loose your jailbreak.

(4) If you hit restore in iTunes it will restore to the latest firmware 4.0. You can't move to any other firmware except 4.0 unless you have your SHSH files stored on Cydia. If you don't know what that is, you probably don't have them (or search for more explanation) Another option of upgrading would be to use a custom firmware that is already jailbroken. You can use the guides at the top of the page to help you do that if you wish. But, if you are happy the way things are on your 3Gs, just leave it where it is.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Simtech For This Useful Post:

lawtyger (07-02-2010)

1. Yes, just make sure you sync and backup your old phone before connecting your new phone. After you connect the new one just "restore from backup" and sync.
    - - - O.K., so the restore from backup just restores, apps, contacts, etc. It doesn't restore anything like old OS (like in my case the 3.0.1 Os).

2. Does your wife have her own iTunes account or does she share yours? If you share, the apps will stay but by syncing to another machine it will want to wipe all music and video from the phone. My wife syncs to the same computer that I do, so we don't have that problem. iTunes will never automatically upgrade your phones firmware, so make sure that it iTunes asks to upgrade, you say no,
    - - - This was really helpful, thanks. In the past with our windows mobile devices I would sync to the laptop and she would sync to the desktop. I didn't realize you could sync two phones to the same computer. I'm just wondering with Outlook, I guess there is away to setup Outlook so that it keeps my contacts and calendar separate from hers?
    - - - Actually, to clarify, want I'm really directing this question to is apps. For example, I have a navigation program on my phone. So if we share, than the apps will be available for both phones if I understand you correctly.

(3) otherwise you will not loose your jailbreak.
    - - -Good.

(4) If you hit restore in iTunes it will restore to the latest firmware 4.0. You can't move to any other firmware except 4.0 unless you have your SHSH files stored on Cydia. If you don't know what that is, you probably don't have them (or search for more explanation) Another option of upgrading would be to use a custom firmware that is already jailbroken. You can use the guides at the top of the page to help you do that if you wish. But, if you are happy the way things are on your 3Gs, just leave it where it is.
    - - - Thanks. I do have SHSH files stored on Cydia. Cydia says "this device has SHSHs on file for iphone OS 3.1, 3.1.2, 3.1.3. But, I've never been exactly sure how to use these should the need arise. I was also confused how I had SHSH files for firmewares newer than on my phone. Obviously I need to read more about SHSH files but it seem like a good thing Cydia has them, right?
    Last edited by lawtyger; 07-02-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Iphone 4 all the way