View Poll Results: Will you use spirit again?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 78.57%
  • No

3 21.43%
+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Will anyone use Spirit Jailbreak again?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I am asking this because I'm stuck with old bootrom 3gs phone on 4.0 not able to jailbreak no more or at least the easy way even when I downgraded
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default Will anyone use Spirit Jailbreak again?
    I am asking this because I'm stuck with old bootrom 3gs phone on 4.0 not able to jailbreak no more or at least the easy way even when I downgraded to 3.1.2 and jailbroke with blackra1n, I still couldn't load a custom firmware. I think I'm gonna stay away from spirit unless it's the only jailbreak even with my iphone 4, but even then it seems like Spirit an infection of your phone than a simple jailbreak. I don't mean to bash Spirit, it's just there should have been some warning about using this and not being able to upgrade like the rest who used dev team exploits.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You're mistaken about Spirit. Spirit doesn't change anything about the phone that can not be undone. It doesn't make your phone unable to use custom firmwares.

You can go from a blackra1n jailbroken 3.1.2 to custom 4.0 just fine even though you've used Spirit at some point.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Then why do all these people say, if you have not jailbroken with Spirit before you can use this Jailbreak? I have tried everything on my 3gs old bootrom with no success to upgrade to 4.0 using custom firmware.

direct quote from dev team
    iPhone 3GS

Summary: Currently, PwnageTool only works on previously jailbroken 3GS devices with the old bootrom.

* If you have a Jailbroken iPhone 3GS with the OLD BOOTROM and you DID NOT use Spirit to jailbreak then you can create the ipsw with PwnageTool 4.0 and restore with your jailbroken recovery mode.
    * If you have an iPhone 3GS with the NEW BOOTROM this is NOT supported by PwnageTool 4.0 PwnageTool 4.01

Thanks

You can't upgrade to 4.0 and jailbreak a 3GS if you used spirit because currently the only way to do so is by using a custom firmware. Spirit doesn't leave the nesessary hole in the bootloader to accept a custom firmware. There's nothing wrong with spirit, it just doesn't go as deep into the os as other jailbreak methods. If you go to 3.1.2 and jailbreak with blackra1n you should have no problems loading a custom 4.0. Or if you are on 3.1.3 jailbroken with spirit you can use spirit2pwn which creates the hole nesessary to load custom firmwares. That's the method I used, I was on 3.1.3 with spirit now I'm on 4.0 with a custom firmware created by pawnage tool!!

Here's a link with instructions on the method I used
    http://www.google.com/m/url?client=s...YntMPWFJnM1MqQ
    Last edited by jkmonkey; 07-01-2010 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

didnt they say that you just needed to restore before you could jailbreak. and the only draw back to that is getting the new bootrom, but as far as i know they should have the new one unlocked anyway. well thats what i have taken away from all that i have read
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jkmonkey View Post
    You can't upgrade to 4.0 and jailbreak a 3GS if you used spirit because currently the only way to do so is by using a custom firmware. Spirit doesn't leave the nesessary hole in the bootloader to accept a custom firmware. There's nothing wrong with spirit, it just doesn't go as deep into the os as other jailbreak methods. If you go to 3.1.2 and jailbreak with blackra1n you should have no problems loading a custom 4.0. Or if you are on 3.1.3 jailbroken with spirit you can use spirit2pwn which creates the hole nesessary to load custom firmwares. That's the method I used, I was on 3.1.3 with spirit now I'm on 4.0 with a custom firmware created by pawnage tool!!

Here's a link with instructions on the method I used
    http://www.google.com/m/url?client=s...YntMPWFJnM1MqQ
    With Sn0wBreeze 1.6.2 you can upgrade from a Spirit Jailbroken device to 4.0
    give it a try and you'll be thanking
    Press Thanks! If Its Worth It!

Thanks

Spirit is great.