+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS want to jailbreak OS4 not sure on same things HAVE READ THREADS

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi I have been going through the threads and have seen bits and pieces about my question being answered but would just like a definitive answer. I have iPhone 3GS
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3GS want to jailbreak OS4 not sure on same things HAVE READ THREADS
    Hi

I have been going through the threads and have seen bits and pieces about my question being answered but would just like a definitive answer.

I have iPhone 3GS which i had previosuly jailbreaked. I upgraded to OS4 via iTunes 3.2. When i did this I lost Cydia and apps etc. I am wanting to jailbreak my phone again to obvioulsy be able to use Cydia and other 3rd party apps again, is this possible?

From what i have read and understand (please tell me if i am wrong) this cannot be done unless you downgrade back to previous OS and iTunes. But i have checked the model of the phone and it is MCxxxx which i uderstand that i can not jailbreak even if i did downgrade?

At the moment all i can see is that i have to wait till spirit created a jailbreak for OS4 for windows, is this right? have i any other options?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

3.2 I'm assuming you mean 3.1.2. You should be able to jailbreak using which ever guide pertains to your OS

PC
    How to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS to 4.0 with Sn0wbreeze | Windows

Mac
    How to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS to 4.0 with PwnageTool | OS X
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

Green Apple
    Thanks

You can downgrade and jailbreak (as long as shshs signature on file)
    You can't jailbreak this phone on 4.0 (at least not yet)
    He has the mc model which means his phone would have a tethered jailbreak (if 3.1.2 blackra1n)
    Or spirit (3.1.3 but you need sim card to activate first) and it's untethered

Thanks

For the 50 millionth time... The MC model thing only applies to iPods, not iPhones. There are many many iPhones that are MC models that have the old baseband. If you want to check which baseband you have (which determines which jailbreaks you can use) do the following:

To check iPhone 3G/3GS bootrom version:

Put your iphone in DFU mode.
    (Connect your iPhone to iTunes, turn off, click power +home button for 10 seconds, leave POWER button after 10 seconds, holding HOME button)

iTunes will detect your iPhone in recovery mode.

Go To:

Start->Control Panel->Device Manager

In Universal Serial BUS Controller, you will find Apple Mobile Device USB Driver

Right Click and go to Properties, go to Details tab and select "Device Instance Path" from the drop down list box.

In that information, u will find [iBoot-359.x] at the end.

On a Mac:

Put the iPhone in DFU mode
    Then navigate to "About this Mac".
    From there go to "More Info...", and select USB on the list on the left.
    Under the USB menu you can select "Apple Mobile Device (DFU Mode)" and that will bring up information about the iPhone.

About half way down it will have the iBoot information:
    It will either be [iBoot-359.3]-old or [iBoot-359.3.2]-new.
    To get it out of DFU mode just hold both the home and power button until it powers back on

as far as OP goes, if you do not have your 3.1.2 SHSH files stored you cannot get to a 4.0 jailbreak, if you have 3.1.3 SHSH files stored you can downgrade per the instructions already given and use Spirit to jailbreak. If you are unsure what SHSH files you have saved you can use the umbrella utility to find out.
    TinyUmbrella: Save Your iOS 4 SHSH Regardless Of Whether Your iOS Device Is Jailbroken | FSMdotCOM

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ianbroste View Post
    3.2 I'm assuming you mean 3.1.2. You should be able to jailbreak using which ever guide pertains to your OS

PC
    How to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS to 4.0 with Sn0wbreeze | Windows

Mac
    How to Jailbreak iPhone 3GS to 4.0 with PwnageTool | OS X
    Is there a guide for the 3GS with New Boot ROM?