+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: General IOS4 Jailbreak discussions for 3g users

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I jailbroke my phone with the following blog article, Jailbreak and Unlock iOS 4 on iPhone 3G [Guide] | Apple | ithinkdifferent To be very honest I know why the
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default General IOS4 Jailbreak discussions for 3g users
    I jailbroke my phone with the following blog article,

Jailbreak and Unlock iOS 4 on iPhone 3G [Guide] | Apple | ithinkdifferent

To be very honest I know why the 3G was not meant to get the multitasking.

I had my iphone going using msn, twitter, facebook and all the other cool apps like chess.com, rss feeds e-mail ect... and had all the pouch notifications going as well. My music would skip and to me that is extremely annoying.

What's worng
    • Laggy
    • Music Skips
    • Battery drains way to fast (within an hour or two)

I know it's cool and everything but where do you draw the line between functionality and usability.

What's your thoughts are you using the newest jailbreak?
    Last edited by lol_release; 06-25-2010 at 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling lol what's new

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of ios4 on my 3g, at least in terms of multitasking when jailbroken. One of the features that I really liked about having the 3.1.3 JB was that with Backgrounder you had to manually tell the iPhone to multi-task. Now, when I am multitasking, I have to open up the prompt just to tell the phone not to multi-task... That, in my opinion is horrible functionality.

I'm supposed to get the iPhone 4 pretty soon, but I'm starting to have second thoughts because the functionality doesn't make sense.

Also, not having Google Latitude and other available options is getting frustrating. If I wasn't stuck to AT&T, I'd get a Droid (and that's a shot to the heart, just to myself, to say that).

Thanks

Can we have some more opinions please.

I'm considering going back to the ios4 but perhaps it's this jailbreak I did. Is there another version?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Have you considered not enabling native multitasking next time you jailbreak?

I've been holding off on my old 3G because I'm seeing widely varying reports from others. Some say it's great and others have experiences similar to yours.

I haven't figured out if it's people's perception, misbehaving jailbreak apps, or what the hell causes people to have different results. But either way it's enough for me to just wait.. it seems one thing is for sure: Apple's implementations of what we jailbreakers have been doing for years just isn't as good: folders (CategoriesSB), multitasking (Backgrounder), wallpapers (BossPaper).. etc

Have you checked out LockInfo? It's nice to have your twitter, rss feeds, weather etc all right there and you can even pull it down from within other apps or the springboard. Just sayin'..

Thanks

good points ct0wn

for the record I jailbreak again this morning without multitasking and my iphone is very fast again.

Multitasking is just not meant for 3G users and that's final.

My iPhone is a Part of Me s1l3nt's Avatar
    Thanks

also enabling wallpaper can slow down the device a bit so i disabled both wallpapers and multitasking

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lol_release View Post
    good points ct0wn

for the record I jailbreak again this morning without multitasking and my iphone is very fast again.

Multitasking is just not meant for 3G users and that's final.
    Quote Originally Posted by s1l3nt View Post
    also enabling wallpaper can slow down the device a bit so i disabled both wallpapers and multitasking
    Have you guys tried turning off the native multi and wallpaper and then using backgrounder or bosspaper? I was thinking about JB'n my 3G before to long and thought if I had that stuff turned on, but used the JB backgrounder and winterboard that it might help things out?

Didnt know which route you guys went

Thanks
    Photo's don't save.

My iPhone is a Part of Me s1l3nt's Avatar
    Thanks

i do have those things off i was just saying that it slow the 3g down

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    right now im running just straight 4.0 on my phone no jailbreak and everything works fine but no wi-fi. I Jailbroke i had it jailbroken since 4.0 came out and everything worked fine.. had multitasking but no wallpaper and it ran perfectly fine didnt notice a lag or battery draining any faster.. but i had no wifi so i restored last night to see if maybe it was the jailbreak.. Nope with a fresh install of 4.0 on my phone my wifi wont connect to the network. but it does pick up networks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mi1knc0okies View Post
    right now im running just straight 4.0 on my phone no jailbreak and everything works fine but no wi-fi. I Jailbroke i had it jailbroken since 4.0 came out and everything worked fine.. had multitasking but no wallpaper and it ran perfectly fine didnt notice a lag or battery draining any faster.. but i had no wifi so i restored last night to see if maybe it was the jailbreak.. Nope with a fresh install of 4.0 on my phone my wifi wont connect to the network. but it does pick up networks.
    Thats weird... have you tried to put your information back into the network.. like reentering your user/pass (if your on a secure network) maybe they just lost your info.. Seems weird that it would pick up networks but you can't connect

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    yea i did all that.. i was in homedepot tried to jump on their free network which even said free network that didn't work.. everywhere i go to eat work home.. it doesn't work i didn't restore from a back up and its a completely fresh install the only thing on it is my contacts and the apps I bought through itunes.

iPhone? More like MyPhone Nightkeeper62's Avatar
    Thanks

This weekend I am going to re-do my phone and try iOS4 with out multitasking and wallpapers to see if I can get mine better. My battery just sucks down with very little use.

Thanks

mine ran pretty good for the couple of days i used it before going to the iPhone4 - anywho, i disabled wallpaper and enabled multitasking on the 3g, battery life was basically the same - i only noticed my winterboard and shrink not working, other then that everything was as normal as before on 3.1.2

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My opinion's quite different.
    Have iOS4 on my 3g with everything enabled, and as long as you keep on top of what's running in the background it generally seems fine.

Am using iMemeory enhancer and have disabled quite a few daemons so maybe that helps a little.

Also I always keep a check on my available memory to keep it from getting to low and slowing the phone down.

Thanks

For me just running iOS4 on my 3G, jailbroke and unlocked, no wallpaper or multitasking just plain sucks. The new folder feature is slow, most things seem slow for that matter. Selecting words when I spell something the way I want to takes like 3 or 4 taps. MMS is still a hassle but works for t-mobile US atleast. I guess the general performance is just laggy IMO. I'm back on 3.1.2 now.

Thanks

kmmxracer how did you roll back to 3.1.2 I think I might also want to do that?

Thanks so much!

Thanks

Just an update for anyone experiencing lag issues see this article,

iOS4 laggy on 3G iPhone

This fixed the lag for me and now I'm running multitasking just fine.