Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: anyone else thinks cydia sucks?

Default anyone else thinks cydia sucks?
    sure, it's a fantastic piece of software, but there's a ton of flaws with it (and i don't mean just starting with 4.0)

if you close out of it and open it back up seconds later, you have to refresh your sources all over again. (anyone else miss nocyfresh?). you add a source, gotta refresh 'em all (quite the pain when you're adding several sources at a time)

the queue feature is garbage. you can queue one or two things until it crashes cydia, forcing you to open it back up, and either install everything one by one or test your luck against the queue gods again (thank jesus for Rock's backup feature)

not to mention all the various other bugs/crashes.

i don't know, just a rant i suppose. but cydia needs a massive update or someone needs to come up with a more usable software installer for us jailbreakers (guess i'll start learning how to code....not.)

/rant

Nope cydia = gods gift
    Rock = satans guft

Cydia 4 life!!!

Its obviously a good bit of software but its very slow and does seem to have some small bugs that are fairly annoying and crashes sometimes. I have only just started using it and i find it hard to find what i want. Personally think something like the app store set out would be brilliant.

yes but cydia is free along with what's usually in it. I'm sure if shaurik made us pay for cydia then it would look alot better.

you don't have to refresh every time you open cydia, It only does if it hasnt refreshed in the last 5mins, and NoCyRefresh was shut down because it actually edited cydia
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

Quote Originally Posted by willryan42 View Post
    sure, it's a fantastic piece of software, but there's a ton of flaws with it (and i don't mean just starting with 4.0)

if you close out of it and open it back up seconds later, you have to refresh your sources all over again. (anyone else miss nocyfresh?). you add a source, gotta refresh 'em all (quite the pain when you're adding several sources at a time)

the queue feature is garbage. you can queue one or two things until it crashes cydia, forcing you to open it back up, and either install everything one by one or test your luck against the queue gods again (thank jesus for Rock's backup feature)

not to mention all the various other bugs/crashes.

i don't know, just a rant i suppose. but cydia needs a massive update or someone needs to come up with a more usable software installer for us jailbreakers (guess i'll start learning how to code....not.)

/rant
    I think cydia is FAN-GD4m-Tastic!
    Developing software is a daunting task and not for the meek.
    If you think you can do better go for it. (Im guessing "NOT"
    I think your rant is un called for 2cents.

Thanks

Do better.....

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I think Cydia is awesome. And as someone already pointed out, Cydia doesn't refresh sources if you close it and then open it back up.

Also, I don't have bugs or crashed with it. Maybe you should stop adding sources that don't exist.
    We're all just toymakers in the game of life.

did someone just complain about a free software? why don't you cough up some cash or make yourself a Cydia and see how that goes.

Just out of interest why is there such a hate for Rock?

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    I think Cydia is awesome. And as someone already pointed out, Cydia doesn't refresh sources if you close it and then open it back up.

Also, I don't have bugs or crashed with it. Maybe you should stop adding sources that don't exist.
    pretty sure cydia won't let you add sources that don't exist....

jesus if i knew everyone would lash at my throat i wouldn't have said anything.

yes it's a great piece of software and i respect saurik for what he's done, but there's no denying that there are many bugs, crashes, and poorly designed features. many of these bugs have been around for quite some time, yet we've still never seen an upgrade to fix them.

never said i could do better either.

@nickp25

Rock has caused alot of pain to alot of users more then cydia's "bugs". There was a whole thread on how rock had a file that took all your available memory...so that's why alot of people don't like rock. Me myself, I love cydia even with it's lil "flaws" to your opinion

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

pretty sure cydia won't let you add sources that don't exist....
    It can.

yes it's a great piece of software and i respect saurik for what he's done, but there's no denying that there are many bugs, crashes, and poorly designed features. many of these bugs have been around for quite some time, yet we've still never seen an upgrade to fix them.

never said i could do better either.
    What bugs, crashes and poor designed features?
    Last edited by dhamien; 06-25-2010 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Everything has issues man, you just gotta figure out what things are worth putting up with.
    Have they released the jailbreak in the app store yet?

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Cydia does have its problem!

I don't think I have open it up a single time in the last month that some repo didn't fail!

Saurik is super smart in programming!

He doesn't have the time to take care of Cydia like it needs to be done!

But like everyone says its FREE!

I also like Rock and have only had one problem with it and I am sure everybody that had Rock had that problem! They admitted there mistake and apologize and I forgave them! Done deal!

While Rock is maintained much better than Cydia most dev's list there apps in Cydia is one main reason I use Cydia more, but the Main reason I have Rock is in case Cydia Crashes and it has before I can simply reinstall the app after the crash has been fixes! And its hard to beat the Backup Rock has!
    Last edited by area51crypto; 06-25-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: grammer

Quote Originally Posted by Nickp25 View Post
    Just out of interest why is there such a hate for Rock?
    Speaking strictly for myself:

1. Rock has caused many users many problems with their "Rock Extensions" package which is required for any of their apps (why?)

2. Rock is a commercial venture looking to make money. Cydia is community-based and non-profit: exactly what the jailbreak community was founded on.

Instead of contributing to the community like they claim they want to do, they find ways to make you pay for their buggy software that conflicts with MobileSubstrate just so their pockets get fatter. Why couldn't they have written their packages to work with Cydia? Again speaking for myself, I jumped in to the jailbreak community to escape from the commercial greed that Apple uses to restrict me from tweaking my phone.

BTW I have no problem paying for apps, jb or not. In fact the majority of my jb packages are paid: cyntact, gv mobile+, mcleaner, pkgbackup, pirni pro, quickreply, recent/calllog delete, screen dimmer, 3g unrestrict, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    It can.

What bugs, crashes and poor designed features?
    the ones i listed in my original post, among others.

and yes, they're able to be dealt with, but they've been existent for a while now and i think it's strange they haven't been addressed. and judging by posts i've seen on here and other sites, i'm not the only one experiencing them.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

the ones i listed in my original post, among others.

and yes, they're able to be dealt with, but they've been existent for a while now and i think it's strange they haven't been addressed. and judging by posts i've seen on here and other sites, i'm not the only one experiencing them.
    You just listed one bug; the queue feature. To be honest, I never use it so I don't know how or if it works.