Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: My ios4 hack speed & batt improvement

Exclamation My ios4 hack speed & batt improvement
    Nothing new here just the old hacks working fine on ios4
    1.install openssh
    2. login as root
    3. disable services as follows

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.syslogd.plist
    launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.wifiFirmwareLoader.plist(this is new, the soon to be use OTA for iphone)

and follow with

* com.apple.ReportCrash.DirectoryService.plist
    * com.apple.ReportCrash.Jetsam.plist
    * com.apple.ReportCrash.SafetyNet.plist
    * com.apple.ReportCrash.SimulateCrash.plist
    * com.apple.ReportCrash.plist
    * com.apple.CrashHousekeeping.plist
    * com.apple.DumpBasebandCrash.plist
    * com.apple.DumpPanic.plist

this completely disable this daemons!!!!

Now lets, deactivate locationd from startup but let it startpup on request

cd /System/Library/LaunchDaemons

plutil -convert xml1 com.apple.locationd.plist
    vim com.apple.locationd.plist
    ------------------

search for RunAtLoad

change true ----> false

----------------
    plutil -convert binary1 com.apple.locationd.plist
    reboot

after this changes In my experience, multitasking is finally usable, no more lagging and finally I have my 3.x battery time.

Do this under your own risk.
    In Costa Rica Beaches w/ my unix box.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to drunix For This Useful Post:

ct0wn (2010-06-26)

great post… definately faster. will test battery out tomorrow.

el
    Last edited by elusiver; 2010-06-25 at 02:58 PM.

I wish I understood even a small amount of that first post, cuz I would love for my 3G to run faster with better battery performance. This is just way out of my league.

Quote Originally Posted by metalhead971 View Post
    I wish I understood even a small amount of that first post, cuz I would love for my 3G to run faster with better battery performance. This is just way out of my league.
    do u know how to ssh into u'r phone using terminal(mac) or putty(windows)?? if so it's as easy as copy and paste. just make sure you've got ericas utilities and vim installed both are available off cydia as u'll need them for the plutil and vim parts of the instructions. other then that it's fairly straight forward.

el

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elusiver View Post
    do u know how to ssh into u'r phone using terminal(mac) or putty(windows)?? if so it's as easy as copy and paste. just make sure you've got ericas utilities and vim installed both are available off cydia as u'll need them for the plutil and vim parts of the instructions. other then that it's fairly straight forward.

el
    Cannot find any thing in Cydia pertaining to vim

i think it's called vi improved. if u've never used vi before there's a cheat sheet Vi Cheat Sheet

el

Can anyone explain what all of these daemons do before I disable them?

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.syslogd.plist (write tons of un needed for you system info, to the system log, u will never need this)

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.wifiFirmwareLoader.plist(this is new, the soon to be use OTA for iphone) (the future OTA for iphone)

and follow with

(Crash reports that apple picks up from your iphone ... without ur permission!! )

Its safe, 48 hours for me and everything is fine

Quote Originally Posted by drunix View Post
    launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.syslogd.plist (write tons of un needed for you system info, to the system log, u will never need this)

launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.wifiFirmwareLoader.plist(this is new, the soon to be use OTA for iphone) (the future OTA for iphone)

and follow with

(Crash reports that apple picks up from your iphone ... without ur permission!! )

Its safe, 48 hours for me and everything is fine

Awesome. This coupled with the Language pack hack will make the phone fly!

yes , also remove input languages and fasten your seatbelts!

Quote Originally Posted by metalhead971 View Post
    Dude I can help you over ichat, just let me know
    Last edited by drunix; 2010-06-26 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I am working on a script right now , If someone has any idea just shot

I'm Having problem downloading Openssh in cydia, can I use iphonebrowser and delete those files?

There is a file in cydia that does this, its called disable daemons.

I forgot what repo its under, I think xsellize.

drunix did you finish that script? Or can anyone confirm that the "disable daemon" file in cydia is identical?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

Just FYI, I have DisableDaemons and the Lang Pack hack on my wifes 3G.
    She consistently runs between 40-50MB; 71MB being the highest I have seen.

I just found out about something called Supercharged 1.3.1 and her speed has increased to 81MB being the highest and 78-79MB while multitasking the App Store and FireDrop.

I had 6 apps multitasking (App Store, Cydia, Weather Channel, FireDrop, All Recipes, & Instalous) and had 55MB steady!!!

Just wanted to let you all know about another speed tool.

*The only downside is that you have to manually Free Up Memory in SBSettings to get those speed rates; at least that's my experience from playing with it for the last hour!

Quote Originally Posted by akward silence View Post
    There is a file in cydia that does this, its called disable daemons.

I forgot what repo its under, I think xsellize.
    Yeah thats correct, thing is i wouldnt use this because i dont know if it is fully compatible with ios4, it was made for the 3.x.x daemons, maybe some of them daemons are used in ios4 now for other important things, not sure but i just wouldnt use it until someone confirms its fine with ios4

Thanks
    Thanked 5,057 Times in 2,011 Posts

I reupgraded my 3GS to see if DisableDaemons worked and everything was fine. I also ran the Lang pack hack and that was good too.

I haven't tried Supercharged on ios4 yet since I redowngraded back to 3.1.2 and cuz I just found out about Supercharged last night.

**UPDATE**
    My wife used her 3G as normal all day today. I checked her RAM at 7pm and it was down to 42MB. This morning, it quoted 84MB so that's a huge decrease!

Looks like Supercharged is not as great as I hoped it would be....
    Last edited by thazsar; 2010-07-27 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I would be slightly wary of Superchraged - from everything I've read it's just an app that enables the iPhone's virtual memory. The problem with this is it creates a swap file on your NAND memory and will decrease the life of the device. It's not clear how quickly this will happen but it will definitely happen. Everything in life is a balance so if you are ok with the decrease in device life for the improved performance then by all means. don't let me disuade you. Just wanted to let you know the potential risk you might face (assuming that Supercharged does what I suspect. Frankly I'd be shocked if it doesn't - from everything I've read it behaves identical to those programs). Also, I believe I've read that it's a paid app? If so, there's another reason you might not want to use it as there are a number of apps that do this for free. Just some food for thought

Quote Originally Posted by thazsar View Post
    I reupgraded my 3GS to see if DisableDaemons worked and everything was fine. I also ran the Lang pack hack and that was good too.

I haven't tried Supercharged on ios4 yet since I redowngraded back to 3.1.2 and cuz I just found out about Supercharged last night.

**UPDATE**
    My wife used her 3G as normal all day today. I checked her RAM at 7pm and it was down to 42MB. This morning, it quoted 84MB so that's a huge decrease!

Looks like Supercharged is not as great as I hoped it would be....

Were you able to find the lang pack hack in cydia? Or did you manually do it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast