Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4 Microphone Bug?

Green Apple
    Dearborn Heights, Michigan, United States
    Thanks
    Default iPhone 4 Microphone Bug?
    Oki so I recorded few videos, and I have noticed something strange when I played them back. Microphone seems to catch audio on very low volume level. I hear static/noise even when I talk straight into the mic.

Here is a video, I was talking straight into the microphone, yet you can't hear a damn thing I'm saying unless you turn the volume all the way up, and even then you can hardly hear me at all. Now when I use Voice Memos app microphone works like it should. WTF is going on here

oh and no I wasn't holding my hands over the mic....

I think I will be taking this phone back to apple....

Here is a short video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG1vAl_faQY]YouTube - iPhone 4 Mic Bug?[/ame]

UPDATE:

So I had no issues with the yellow screen, antenna reception... but this mic while recording video is driving me nuts. I have made an appointment @ Apple on the 25th. So they can look into it, I have already tried to restore the firmware & that didn't help at all. I haven't heard about this issue anywhere else, so I might be the only one with the problem? don't know. But I suggest you all try your video camera to see if you having a similar issue.

UPDATE 2:

In these two clips I am sitting about 5 feet away from the TV set. Clip 1 is recorded with iPhone 4 16GB. Clip two is recorded with Sony Cybershot camera. In both clips I'm increasing the volume in stages starting at 20 then slowly going up to 80.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vzFrR-wSrI]YouTube - iPhone 4 Microphone Defect part 1 of 2[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss_QkzfDK48]YouTube - iPhone 4 Microphone Defect part 2 of 2[/ame]
    Last edited by TranceField; 06-25-2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Well at least your works some what lol when I put my iphone 4 32 gb on speaker or record a video nothing happens when i make a phone call from speaker no one is able to hear me. If i make a video recording it don't capture any sound

Same problem here. There are a few threads on the official apple site too. I'm going to walk in to apple store after work hopefully they can give me a new phone. Some people think it's a software bug because they download a video recorder of the AppStore and you can hear the video. Restore does nothing.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I went to the Apple store today, got an iPhone replacement. Microphone on this new device seems to be working like it should. I'm really dissapointed with Apple.... I had all the iPhones.... I had never had any problems. Looks like Apple quality control is getting worse: yellow screens, antenna problems, and now Microphone failure (which could be software related)? WTF Apple??

Did u have to have an appointment? Can you just walk in?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I have made an appointment last night before going to sleep through the Apple Store App.....

I don't think you can just come in.
    Last edited by TranceField; 06-25-2010 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Walked in to apple store got put on standby they said it might be 2hrs was out of there in 30 min with a new phone

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jags828 View Post
    Walked in to apple store got put on standby they said it might be 2hrs was out of there in 30 min with a new phone
    That's awesome man...

I am on my replacement iPhone 4 already here in Canada (1st one the screen FAILED) and I too now have the microphone issue with the replacement iPhone.

During quiet environment recording all you hear is a lot of ambient air sound and my voice BARELY comes through as if I am talking from 20 feet away. Voice memo's work fine which confirms that the problem is the mic on top of the phone.

This is kind of a last straw for me I think. Screen failure, followed by mic failure, and to add, I have the antenna issue where my iPhone drops calls consistently in my house and goes to NO SIGNAL where as my 3G for 2 years never flinched.

I think this visit is going to be a full return/refund/reversal of my FIDO plan and I am going to switch to the Samsung Galaxy S.

I'm not an apple hater by any means, I've been an iPhone user for years but for me I think this is just about the limit. Quite dissapointing I must say on apple's part. Ultimately, whether it's rushed production, diminished quality control, project manager's fault, I could give a *****. Bottom line is the product is failing in way too many ways to be deemed acceptable by the standards that apple has ALREADY set in the past with previous version.

I greatly and deeply appreciate all the work the DEV TEAM, Saurik, et. al have done to bring us the jailbreaks and the unlocks and the great software tweaks year after year but I'm Sorry apple, cause this is good bye.