+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: how does it work, when selling a jailbroken or unlocked iphone?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
i want to list my phone on ebay jailbroken and/or unlocked but had a couple questions. how do people go about doing this, what if the buyer does something like
    Thanks

Default how does it work, when selling a jailbroken or unlocked iphone?
    i want to list my phone on ebay jailbroken and/or unlocked but had a couple questions. how do people go about doing this, what if the buyer does something like download a noncompatible app through cydia and is forced to restore? or say they update on accident and its no longer jailbroken wouldnt these buyers complain??

is there certain things to include in the listing (so that way people arent complaining or want a refund)? i want to sell my phone unlocked but im afraid the buyer might download something on cydia which he shouldnt then come complain to me if the unlock no longer works..

anybody?
    Last edited by bobright; 06-23-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Just state in the ad that "the phone will only remain jailbroken and unlocked one 3.xx firmware. If you update it you will have to re-jailbreak it and unlock it again" I dono definitely want to give them a heads up and be clear about it.

Banned
    Thanks

Yeah I sell these often. Be very clear about the version and tell them to be careful not to accidentally update or "you WILL LOSE your JAILBREAK!"

People need it spelled out.

I take returns and put the time at 3 days and say it's a case by case basis, generally only for doa. That way they can't screw it up and demand a refund. I usually and very helpful with emails but only to an extent. I only offer free support for a couple of emails and I almost always point them to forums and tell them to read up. Lastly, if they come back to me for than 30 days later and need it re-jailbroken because they messed it up, I either refer them to a local jailbreaker on their local craigslist or offer to redo it for a fee (if it's even possible)

I hate having to be like this, but I have a business to run and am not their personal tech support. Your situation may vary. However you can be sure that 95% of transactions will NEVER encounter any of this and not email you again. So just jump in, and good luck!