Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help with iPhone 3GS 3.1.2

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Help with iPhone 3GS 3.1.2
    Hey guys, been reading these forums forever but first time post.

Ok I wasnt going to get the iphone 4 because im happy with my 3GS now but since my friend offered to purchase mine for about the same price that its going to cost me to get iphone 4 from AT&T at an upgrade price i said hell yeah.

My friend who i am selling it to has AT&T and wants to buy my 3GS but he does not need or want the data package, were always at my university and theres free wi-fi, i also realize he has to call and let AT&T put a block on data on his account so he doesnt end up with $10k bill when his phone decides to use data.

Hes not iphone savvy and wants me to do everything before i sell it to him, its an iPhone 3GS 3.1.2 and its jailbroken. My question is that he wants to me to have the iPhone ready to basically take out my sim card and put his sim card and the iPhone work without the data package. I am not sure how to do this. Ive jailbroken plenty of times but because i have AT&T and the data plan i never messed around with unlocking and am not even sure what it is other than using Tmobile and other services.

So can anyone help me to get my iPhone ready to where i take out my sim card and he puts his in and the iPhone works without data plan just simply wi-fi.

Thanks in advance guys.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You don't have to do anything besides put his sim in but if he is gonna be using AT&T they will see he has an iPhone and put him on a data plan. Can't not have a data plan with an iPhone on AT&T.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i read about plenty of people that use it without a data plan with only wi-fi but again i have never did it so i am not sure, does anyone else agree with ian? or is it possible.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

A lot of people used to do it and get away with it just by taking the sim out of the iphone. Placing it in a different phone (razr or something). Calling AT&T and saying you sold the iPhone and need to remove the data plan. Then putting the sim back in the iPhone. AT&T either wised up or started cracking down cause a lot of people started saying they were all of a sudden getting charged for a data plan.

Thanks

It's hit or miss these days. You might get away with it, you might not.