+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best Time To Sell 3GS

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Alrighty, so I'm gonna cancel my T-Mobile contract and jump ship because I'm tired of their spotty service (in freaking southern california) and want the new iPhone. Here's my dilemma:
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default Best Time To Sell 3GS
    Alrighty, so I'm gonna cancel my T-Mobile contract and jump ship because I'm tired of their spotty service (in freaking southern california) and want the new iPhone. Here's my dilemma:
    I have a 16 gig (black) 3GS, but it is locked to T-Mobile Hungary, so it can't be used in the US until it is unlocked. I have a sim card for it, so it's activated and jailbroken. I know the unlock is coming out this month, so it would make it usable for the average user who buys it. I intend to sell on ebay, and they seem to go for about $350 or so locked to AT&T, and $450 unlocked. I expect that price might go down after the iPhone 4 comes out, but that is also when I expect the unlock to come out. So this brings me to my question, would it be wiser to sell it now as it is without an unlock, or would it be better to wait for after the iPhone 4 comes (since I assume that's when the unlock will be out), and sell it unlocked then? (basically, would it be better to sell it locked before the iPhone 4, or unlocked after when there could be a potential price drop)
    thanks for any feedback.
    also: its basically in mint condition, a couple cosmetic scratches on the silver apple from typical use, and it was in a screen protector for most of its life, only one minor mark in the top right hand corner that is hardly noticeable.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Worth more unlocked and you broaden your customer base greatly! I would wait.

Thanks

I was more leaning towards that, just wanted to be sure. I figure the $100+ more its worth unlocekd won't be the amount the 3GS would go down (if at all) when the iPhone 4 comes out. People buy these for pretty expensive amounts on ebay.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

just sold my 3gs for the same price i bought it for a year ago... The best time to sell an iPhone is when not all of them can be unlocked (like now), most phones are locked, and the expensive ones are unlocked. in a few weeks, every iphone for sale will be unlocked. (for the most part) and it will saturate the market heavily again.

i'd sell it now just to make 400$ quick, but since that phone wont even work for AT&T users, you pretty much have to wait for the unlock

Quick question though because i'm curious, that phone is locked to T-Mobile from hungary, does that mean it works in the US with a US t-mobile sim?
    The only thing I ask in return for helping, is that you click the thanks button, Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Wait a few months after iPhone 4 is released

Thanks

It does NOT work with USA T-Mobile to answer your question. As far as waiting a few months goes... not gonna happen, I'm jumping ship from T-Mobile asap, sick of that company. Since I'm in SoCal, I figure AT&T won't be too bad... I just want reception in my house.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Best time is not now when the market is saturated with them, like right now.

Livin the iPhone Life javiert30's Avatar
    Thanks

Sold my 3G 8Gb unlocked for $200.00 on ebay in 5 minutes...

Im gonna miss you baby , but only till the 24th...

Regards Stealth, we are going to pass thru the same thing that we pass that day for the delivery of the iPad with UPS.
    Last edited by javiert30; 06-12-2010 at 02:14 AM.
    Drive Safe with Trapster
    Speedtrap App