Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Want to purchase iPhone 4 without contract

Default Want to purchase iPhone 4 without contract
    I'm interested in getting an iPhone 4. I currently have a 3G[S] 16GB, and have someone actually interested in buying it for $500, possibly more. I have read from numerous sources that the iPhone 4 will be $599 for the 16GB version, which I want.

I don't want to extend my contract, or upgrade.

Can I just purchase the iPhone 4 without the contract using the money I sold my 3G[S] with? If so, from where? Apple.com or the Apple Store or something? Also, will this come with the 1 year warranty in case of any problems (Products like these are usually glitchy the first few months.)

Lastly, if I got the iPhone 4 without upgrading and just buying it alone, is there any complications I have to worry about? I already have the $30 data plan, but will AT&T say anything? One example of a complication I might have is that I am using SIM and have to get microSIM..

Do I go to the AT&T store and ask for microSIM or do I use the DIY-tutorial thing?

Thanks very much

Livin the iPhone Life wannabprogramma's Avatar
    Thanks

ok so I'm just gunna give some basic info and see if it answers most of your questions.
    When you buy an iPhone you must also buy a AT&T plan with it, or use an upgrade. The iPhone 4 16GB will go for 200 dollars, but this requires the plan. You CANNOT buy a phone without the plan from AT&T or Apple. If you currently have an iPhone plan, I'd just go ahead and extend the contract, but I figure you have your reasons for not wanting to so here's my best idea: Do (either StealthBravo or Melech I can't remember who did the guide) the DIY on making your regular sim into a micro-sim. Then you would have to get a new iPhone 4 from another source (eBay, or craigslist or something- this means you will probably have to wait a little while to get one) and to get a new, unused iPhone 4 it would probably be about 600 dollars so then put your micro-sim into your phone and your good to go, EXCEPT: (and we won't know this until the iPhone 4 has been released) if iPhone 3gs' plan doesn't work with iPhone 4 then you will have to wait for a fix via a jailbreak that will let you use it with your 3g plan..Hope that helps
    The Next Generation of Phreaks.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

You can buy an unsubsidized phone from apple or AT&T. $599 for a 16gig or $699 for a 32gig. Something I thought about tho was if you buy unsubsidized 32gig phone you pay $699 for the phone and can cancel whenever you want. If you buy subsidized you pay $299 for the phone, and maybe $18, but then if you cancel early have to pay 325-Xmonths in cancellation fees. Even if I cancel the next month it would be 299+325+18=$642 for the same phone, so why buy unsubsidized? Does this sound correct/incorrect to anyone?
    Last edited by ianbroste; 06-09-2010 at 05:55 PM.

Thanks

^^hmm he must know more than me then...I went into the Apple Store in New Orleans when I was first looking and asked one of the genius guys if I could buy an iPhone without an AT&T plan and he said I couldn't that I would have to sign into a contract....scratch what I said if he's right

Quote Originally Posted by ianbroste View Post
    You can buy an unsubsidized phone from apple or AT&T. $599 for a 16gig or $699 for a 32gig. Something I thought about tho was if you buy unsubsidized 32gig phone you pay $699 for the phone and can cancel whenever you want. If you buy subsidized you pay $299 for the phone, and maybe $18, but then if you cancel early have to pay 325-Xmonths in cancellation fees. Even if I cancel the next month it would be 299+325+18=$642 for the same phone, so why buy unsubsidized? Does this sound correct/incorrect to anyone?

Sounds correct to me.

Would people who sign a two year contract and ditch it right away still be allowed to buy the new iphone next year (2011)?
    Last edited by allanes5; 06-09-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: Typed year incorrect 2001 instead of 2011

U can't just buy a iPhone 4 without service with AT&T. U must have service with AT&T in order to purchase a iPhone 4 it's been said on forums with people who have talked to apple and AT&T. All iPhones require data and voice plan period!!

Thanks

^^ thats what i said and what happened to me but maybe ianbroste has new info?

Quote Originally Posted by DJM AutoWerkz View Post
    U can't just buy a iPhone 4 without service with AT&T. U must have service with AT&T in order to purchase a iPhone 4 it's been said on forums with people who have talked to apple and AT&T. All iPhones require data and voice plan period!!
    You don't need a contract to buy an iPhone anymore... going to cost you a small fortune, but you DO NOT NEED A CONTRACT WITH AT&T.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,643 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wannabprogramma View Post
    ^^ thats what i said and what happened to me but maybe ianbroste has new info?
    How do you do the " PSP Life " on it so it appears everytime you do a posting.

AT&T doesn't just sell a plan to anyone that walks in, they need to do a Credit Checking on your Social Security Number.

If you want to buy from AT&T or apple them u need data and voice plan so yea they run your credit etc
    see if u qualify fir those services. I'm sure u can buy in eBay or craigslist for
    mire money and buy without contract.

Quote Originally Posted by DJM AutoWerkz View Post
    All iPhones require data and voice plan period!!
    True but you have two options and one does NOT require a two year contract:

1) Buy at subsidized price of $199 (16 gb), which requires a two year contract. However, I believe you can cancel the contract after the firts month and pay $325 penalty fee. Which means it would end up costing you $524 plus activation fee and the first month of service.

2) Buy at UNsubsidized price of $599 (16 gb) which does not require a two year commitment. However, it does require voice and data plan which I believe you can cancel after the first month. You would end up paying $599 plus activation fee and first month of service.

Yes u need a contract but a month to month contract not a 1 or 2 year contract sorry about that.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So why not sell the iPhone and pay off the penalty with that,then go right back to AT&T and get i4 subsidized.... Voilą new phone for 100 more that's killer when u think about all the new feature

That article was posted March 23 and was talikng about 3 GS iphones..... Not iphone 4!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yeow202 View Post
    How do you do the " PSP Life " on it so it appears everytime you do a posting.
    So it shows up in your User CP? If that's what you mean there's 2 ways: You can comment on the thread or you can click on "Thread Tools" in the blue bar close to the top and scroll down to "subscribe to this thread" and click that

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wannabprogramma View Post
    So it shows up in your User CP? If that's what you mean there's 2 ways: You can comment on the thread or you can click on "Thread Tools" in the blue bar close to the top and scroll down to "subscribe to this thread" and click that
    I think he maybe means how do you get the "psp life" picture you have in your signature.

So basically can we get it at an Apple Store or not?

Or should I just wait for some to show up on Craigslist?

Thing is, I want to get it through Apple Store so I can get the warranty guaranteed and stuff.

I believe the article above is referring to Apple selling the 3G[S] without a contract several months after its release. However, I want it ASAP, not in 6 months. I already know Apple eventually eases up on its contract-only plan to make some money..

Any info would be great

I think you can get it at the Apple store but will have to pay FULL price AND subscribe to the voice and data plan for at least one month. You can cancel after the first month with no penalty fees.

You can also pay the subsidized price, sign a two year contract, cancel after the first month and pay about $325 in early termination fee!!

You must be credit approved by Apple or AT&T however.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast