Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3GS (old bootrom); Wi-fi stopped working about 2-3 months after jailbreaking

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Exclamation iPhone 3GS (old bootrom); Wi-fi stopped working about 2-3 months after jailbreaking
    This week I noticed that my phone was no longer connecting to any Wi-fi networks. I have not changed anything recently and this is the first time I have had this happen with my 3GS. I jailbroke it with blackra1n running 3.1.2, unlocked using blacksn0w (to enable tethering) and use Cydia to manage my non-App Store apps. I had not updated anything right beforehand with Cydia. After about a day of this occurring I went into Cydia and performed all of the updates shown under Changes. I have had 3G Unrestrictor installed for about a month now and have not noticed any issues with it.

I am able to enable and disable Wi-fi in settings and SBSettings, but it is not able to see/discover any Wi-fi networks around me.

Any suggestions other than restoring and re-jailbreaking?

Thanks,
    scc4fun

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Well, first back up your stuff.

Then uninstall blacksn0w and then install blacksn0w RC2 instead. RC2 fixes the bug in the original blacksn0w that causes wifi and boot loop problems.

The reason I said to back up your stuff is because blacksn0w can cause boot problems you can't recover from.

Here's a link on blacksn0w RC2 and how to get it: Pushfix 2.0 • View topic - Blacksn0w RC2 Final

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

scc4fun (05-21-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks, I'll try that over the weekend.

OK, just how do I uninstall blacksn0w? I don't see it as a package in cydia and blackra1n seems to show that I could reinstall blacksn0w or uninstall blackra1n.
    Last edited by scc4fun; 05-21-2010 at 11:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Try adding the repo http://blackra1n.com in Cydia. I think you can get the option of uninstalling then.

If not, just install RC2 on top of it. I believe I read that just installing it on top corrects the errors of the original blacksn0w but I can't find a link to it right now.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well, my phone became too unstable and went into an infinite boot loop--making the phone a great handwarmer. Had to restore, re-jailbreak, and re-unlock, this time using the blacksn0w RC2 Final. Seems to work great. Only slightly annoying having to wait a few seconds for the phone to become usable after I get into the SpringBoard.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by scc4fun View Post
    Well, my phone became too unstable and went into an infinite boot loop--making the phone a great handwarmer. Had to restore, re-jailbreak, and re-unlock, this time using the blacksn0w RC2 Final. Seems to work great. Only slightly annoying having to wait a few seconds for the phone to become usable after I get into the SpringBoard.
    Yeah, the load time is the drawback of RC2. Although it's definitely preferred over the risk of boot looping.