+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sell iPhone now or later??

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have an JB and unlocked 3g (im on tmobile). Im thinking about selling my phone now before OS4 comes out, while i can still get like $300 for it.
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Sell iPhone now or later??
    I have an JB and unlocked 3g (im on tmobile).
    Im thinking about selling my phone now before OS4 comes out, while i can still get like $300 for it.
    What do u guys think?
    Is it worth going a month with a samsung highlight???
    And what should the price for the new iphone be without a contract? $400 maybe?

Haha but I dont know. Is it worth going a moth plus waiting for a jailbreak and unlock?

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

The value of it is not going to drop when 4.0 comes out.... just hang onto it and sell it in a month.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    The value of it is not going to drop when 4.0 comes out.... just hang onto it and sell it in a month.
    I though the value of my 8gb 3g was only so high because it could be used on other carriers and was JB. But when OS4 comes out, all the phones will be jailbreakable on OS4 and therefore make my jailbroken 3.1.2 phone less valuable.

Am i wrong?

Thanks

The value of an iPhone will stay the same if it's in good condition on ANY firmware. An unlockable iPhone on any firmware will pull a premium because people want to use it on other carriers. If firmware 4.0 becomes jailbroken.. then upgrade your iPhone to 4.0 and sell it jailbroken. I don't understand your chain of thought here.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I see where your coming from.
    But i guess my train of thought is that right now a person looking for an unlockable iphone would be willing to pay more for it just because they are hard to find. But when os4 comes out, every iphone will become unlockable and therefore my iphone will be worth less.

But on the other hand, im willing to just take your word for it.

Thanks

Yeeeah.. ok.. the other thing that's going to happen is the market will be flooded with iPhones after people upgrade to the new iPhone. You're right about that so I'd check the market where you are and if there are not many around put yours up for sale.

Thanks

For my almost 2 year old iphone to sell for a good value, i figure it needs to be 1. unlocked and 2. sold before iphone 4g comes out.

Since i upgraded to 3.1.3 (hence baseband 5.12.01), Im still trying to figure out how to satisfy the 1st criteria.
    If I helped you out in any way, hit the Thanks Button.

iPhone? More like TyPhone

iPhone? More like MyPhone MacDevil7334's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mizun0h View Post
    I see where your coming from.
    But i guess my train of thought is that right now a person looking for an unlockable iphone would be willing to pay more for it just because they are hard to find. But when os4 comes out, every iphone will become unlockable and therefore my iphone will be worth less.

But on the other hand, im willing to just take your word for it.
    Every iPhone is already jailbreakable on 3.1.3 with spirit. What makes the 3G so valuable is the ability to unlock easily (assuming you haven't upgraded the baseband to a version that cannot be unlocked). As far as 4.0 goes, it is pretty clear there will be a jailbreak. However, I have not heard anything conclusive on an unlock, so I wouldn't count on that. If your 3G can still be unlocked when 4.0 comes out, it will probably be just as valuable as it is now. But, if it cannot be unlocked, only jailbroken, it's value will likely plummet when a ton of faster 3GSs hit the used market after the new iPhone is released.

Quote Originally Posted by tyfly867 View Post
    For my almost 2 year old iphone to sell for a good value, i figure it needs to be 1. unlocked and 2. sold before iphone 4g comes out.

Since i upgraded to 3.1.3 (hence baseband 5.12.01), Im still trying to figure out how to satisfy the 1st criteria.
    Depending on how old your 3G is, you may be able to use fuzzyband to downgrade the baseband to an earlier version that can be unlocked with either blacksn0w or ultrasn0w.
    Last edited by MacDevil7334; 05-19-2010 at 11:16 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mitchell209's Avatar
    Thanks

I would definitely sell it before the 4G is released. It would be incredibly foolish not to.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Ah, the old discussion of when to sell..

Personally, I don't care as most of my old iPhones are given to family members, but if I was interested in making the most $$, I'd wait until 4.0 drops but before the new BB unlock. Pwnage Tool gets released before the unlocks come out.

An unlocked 4.0 OS (retaining old baseband) will fetch a HUGE premium.. There is only a couple days - week to do so, but it will be well worth the wait