+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 4.0 beta for non-devs - my advice: don't bother

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
If you aren't a developer, my advice is not to bother with getting someone's dev slot and installing the 4.0 beta on your phone. Feel free to disagree and debate,
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default 4.0 beta for non-devs - my advice: don't bother
    If you aren't a developer, my advice is not to bother with getting someone's dev slot and installing the 4.0 beta on your phone. Feel free to disagree and debate, but here are my reasons:

MAYBE if you're on a 3G you can get enough jailbreak apps working to make it worth it, but I'm on a non-4.0-jailbreakable 3GS and I can tell you - going from a jailbroken 3.1.3 to a non-jailbroken 4.0 beta drew one big "Meh."

Of course it's cool to see the new interface, but after a few minutes of that, you remember how constricted it feels to be tied to Apple. You'll long for iFile. You'll pine for sbsettings like an unrequited love. You'll call your friends in the middle of the night, just to ask if Cydia has any new Winterboard themes.

It technically has multitasking, but most apps aren't ready for this, so it isn't really multitasking right now. You're better off with Circuitous or multiflow.

It has folders, but it didn't really do anything for me that categories and categoriessb together didn't. Being able to create folders by simply dragging icons together is pretty tight, but it doesn't come close to being reason enough to take the plunge.

The orientation lock (used to disable the accelerometer from switching the phone's orientation) was mostly a dud because, at least right now, it's only working to lock it in portrait mode.

This seems to be a polarizing issue, but I happen to like the standard raindrops wallpaper for 4.0. But you can make any jailbroken iPhone look just like it with one of the many 4.0 winterboard themes available.

If you don't have iRecovery, I definitely wouldn't recommend installing the beta because downgrading back to 3.1.x can give errors that may put you in a recovery loop. On my pc, I normally use redsn0w to solve this, but it wasn't having it here. Quickpwn stopped working for me long ago. Old reliable iRecovery came through as always, so be sure to get it and familiarize yourself with it if you insist on installing the beta.

Bottom line: if you have some time to burn and want to go through the hassle of restoring everything, just to check 4.0 out, knock yourself out (and risk knocking your iPhone out as well). But I think there's a good chance you'll be downgrading it a few minutes later.
    Last edited by wvcachi; 05-10-2010 at 02:11 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was going to ask about this.

Thanks for the info

iPhone? More like MyPhone MacDevil7334's Avatar
    Thanks

I feel the need to jump in and state that I went from 3.1.2 JB to 4.0b2 a few weeks ago and I haven't gone back. The new beta is pretty sweet, though I do miss some JB features. Do keep in mind that if you go to 4.0b3 and get stuck, you will only be without a JB for a month or so. Personally, I have really enjoyed having 4.0 on my phone, and haven't missed JB all that much, mostly because my phone always feels slower when it is jailbroken.

All I'm saying is don't assume you won't like 4.0 simply because one person said he didn't.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MacDevil7334 View Post
    I feel the need to jump in and state that I went from 3.1.2 JB to 4.0b2 a few weeks ago and I haven't gone back. The new beta is pretty sweet, though I do miss some JB features. Do keep in mind that if you go to 4.0b3 and get stuck, you will only be without a JB for a month or so. Personally, I have really enjoyed having 4.0 on my phone, and haven't missed JB all that much, mostly because my phone always feels slower when it is jailbroken.

All I'm saying is don't assume you won't like 4.0 simply because one person said he didn't.
    You're right that 4.0 does seem pretty fast. Not that my jailbreak ever seems slow, but, even with launch daemons and language packs deleted, 4.0 still seemed really perky and smooth in comparison.

And of course my opinion is mine and mine alone - just fun to get the motors turning on something like this . . .

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmm, I have noticed that my JB 3GS is somewhat slow (delayed home button response).

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

There has to be some way to prevent Winterboard from sucking so many memory. or there has to be a program that just replaces the UI-Images and done.. that does not run un the Background any more. This Winterboard is just a killing machine app.
    Besides it there are others but he`s the big killing memory.!