Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Rock crashed lots of iphones

Default Rock crashed lots of iphones
    Anyone realize that just recently everyone that used blackra1n to jailbreak the iphone have just recently got screwed over from the devs from rock app? I was one of them, anyone have any solutions to fixing this? One option is updating to 3.1.3 and jailbreaking using spirit. Good job rock devs you really did it this time.

Do's this happen when you do the updates on rock? What happens if you don't update it. Also can you remove rock?

It's not specific to Blackra1n... I only used pwnage with my 3GS. Doing some routine update in Rock yesterday has put my phone into an unusable state.

It won't boot. When it is powered up, the apple logo appears, and it just resets itself after 5-10 seconds. Luckily, I can get it to go into restore mode, but I don't want to do a restore, because I have a ton of pics and video on there that I don't want to lose (since I last did a sync). So I am just in a state of waiting... I need to be able to grab my pics and video off the phone before I do a restore. One thing is for sure... once my phone is back up and running, it WILL NOT have Rock installed. Been using Cydia forever and never had any sort of issue like this. I'm willing to make the tradeoff of the slooooooooow load time in Cydia for the stability.

I have rock I jailbroke with blackra1n im a Unix system admin for Barnes & Noble .com so I have had a few run'ins with the apple logo but I have fixed it twice with diskaid....

I have rock but i avoided updating it... I can still use rock i just didnt update I use rock because cydia keeps deleting my GOC theme folders....

apt-get -f install reveals that it conflicts with a different package and i refuse to lose it so i just use rock.... But im sure this can be fixed I just dont know how since I havent had the problem myself and i cant nor do i want to test it out on my phone to find the fix sorry guys!!!

btw can someone answer my GCC post please!

Quote Originally Posted by victis View Post
    I have rock I jailbroke with blackra1n im a Unix system admin for Barnes & Noble .com so I have had a few run'ins with the apple logo but I have fixed it twice with diskaid....

Can diskaid access your iPhone when it's in recovery mode, or no?

This particular situation that has happened to people with Rock means we can't get into anything other than recovery mode... a normal boot results in a shutdown after about 10 seconds.

omfg im having the exact same problem. iphone 3G 3.1.2. updated about 6-7 apps last night through rock. cant rememeber if rebooted but must have as rock requires you to do this with some new apps. anyway, today my iphone was running quite slow so i decided to reboot it, as i usually do when it runs slow. so through sbsettings i pressed power and then selected reboot. i then left my phone thinking it would reboot. about half an hour later i look at my phone and its off. so i decided to power it on, saw the apple logo come up and thought everything was fine. looked again 2mins later and it was off again.. i then realised that it wouldnt boot up properly. i found this was the exact same problem that alot of people are experiencing, after searching through google. the iphone will power on with the silver apple logo appearing and will then just cut off after 5-10secs. what has pissed me off is that i my contacts will now have gone. is there anyone who knows of a fix for this issue, as i really dont want to restore it and loose my contatcs. i would rather give the phone away for free than loose all my contacts. and no before you ask i didnt perform a backup of the iphone because itunes is installed on my borthers laptop, and i didnt want him accessing my personal files. so please could someone provide some information on this issue, which is causing alot of iphone users problems. thanks in advance, looking forward to your helpful replies.

diskaid can only access the phone if the PC detects it plus i think you would have had to use diskaid before this happened so that you can access it afterwards.... The first time you use diskaid it installs something to your phone... then after that if the phone gets suck at the apple logo you can get into it.... If you have never used diskaid i dont think it works.... To do anything to the phone the pc must be able to detect it....

Ugh same issue here, running 3.1.2 JB Blackra1n. I cant get itunes to detect my phone. GRRRRRRR!

Wagwan I'm having the same problem. Today I updated 7 apps with Rock and now my iPhone just shows the apple boot screen then shuts off. I can't get it to stay on. I made an appointment with the apple store but I don't want them to be able to get it on and see that it's been jail broke. I can't get the iphone to stay on so I can restore. Anyone know how I can fix this?

For everyone out there who lost data in the whole Rock debacle:

I'm not sure if Rock is doing anything to help those of us who have data stuck on our new bricks, but it sure as hell looks like they aren't so it might be worth giving after-restore data recovery a shot...

The thread at HOW TO: iPhone Data Recovery has more information (look for army113's guide on the 7th page), and looks promising... I haven't tried it yet myself and it looks like a bit of a hassle to set up, but at least it's better than writing all that data off for good.

People have reported success with data recovery up to weeks after the restore, so even if it's already been some time since you did your restore it might still be worth a try.

Best of luck to everyone who got boned in this giant mess - hope you manage to recover at least some of your data!

My problem with this is that they knew days ago that this was a problem and they did NOTHING to stop it.. Why didn't they just remove the problem program update and saved us all a big hassle?
    This happened to my phone several days ago and I ended up restoring and losing all my photo's in my camera. Now I can't find the button on itunes to sync the photo's..Major bummer

Omg this is the exact same problem i had and i have been posting all day to try and find a fix but no one knows, does anyone know if there is anyway to remove data off the phone in DFU or Recovery mode? i just want the pictures/contacts i dont mind restoring after that

Quote Originally Posted by Vampy26 View Post
    Omg this is the exact same problem i had and i have been posting all day to try and find a fix but no one knows, does anyone know if there is anyway to remove data off the phone in DFU or Recovery mode? i just want the pictures/contacts i dont mind restoring after that
    I've been searching all over for a fix too, but it looks like there isn't one... There might be some hope of recovering pictures/contacts after restoring though, so if you don't mind taking the plunge and restoring first, you can check out the guide linked to in my previous post

Had similar problem. Phone slowed down so did a respeing in SBSettings. Half hour later was stuck on Apple logo. After watching closely noticed that the "loading" circle would appear over the logo after around 5 minutes and spin for a few seconds before freezing and eventually resetting. Heard about a trick on another forum to switch USB cable from computer to wall charger to turn the phone on. Tried it for a while and eventually it did get recognized and synced to iTunes so I could get my photos off. Shortly after the copy finished it reset and lapsed back into the stuck on apple logo deal. Tried to restore to Pwnage 3.1.3 JB but kept getting an error. Next tried to restore to 3.1.2 so I could use blackra1n expecting it to fail because of apple not wanting to sign it. It worked fine and now I have a fresh 3.1.2 JB with all my photos that I thought I'd lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Vecos View Post
    I've been searching all over for a fix too, but it looks like there isn't one... There might be some hope of recovering pictures/contacts after restoring though, so if you don't mind taking the plunge and restoring first, you can check out the guide linked to in my previous post
    Problem is ive never synced to this comp that means a restore would totally delete every record

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

This is why I don't use Rock. I have been burned too many times. I do have to applaud them for actually supporting their product through quick fixes. However, these issues do not arise when using Cydia which makes it a no-brainer for me.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Fire_Ninja View Post
    Had similar problem. Phone slowed down so did a respeing in SBSettings. Half hour later was stuck on Apple logo. After watching closely noticed that the "loading" circle would appear over the logo after around 5 minutes and spin for a few seconds before freezing and eventually resetting. Heard about a trick on another forum to switch USB cable from computer to wall charger to turn the phone on. Tried it for a while and eventually it did get recognized and synced to iTunes so I could get my photos off. Shortly after the copy finished it reset and lapsed back into the stuck on apple logo deal. Tried to restore to Pwnage 3.1.3 JB but kept getting an error. Next tried to restore to 3.1.2 so I could use blackra1n expecting it to fail because of apple not wanting to sign it. It worked fine and now I have a fresh 3.1.2 JB with all my photos that I thought I'd lost.

Can you explain what you mean by plugging into the wall charger instead of USB? When do you do this / how long did you do it for, etc?