Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia "Essential Update" includes iPhone FW update??

Default Cydia "Essential Update" includes iPhone FW update??
    When I go into Cydia, I get the message saying that 4 "Essential" updates are required and the result of not performing them could end in errors. I've been choosing "Ignore (Temporary)" for awhile because of one reason I haven't been able to find an answer to.

When I click on the update button, it takes me to the screen where it shows what updates will be installed. There are 2 in the "Install" section and 2 in the "Update" section.

The one I'm concerned about is in the "Install" section and reads "iPhone Firmware (/sbin)"...what is this?

I'm running 3.0.1 on a 2G and don't wish to update it right now to any other firmware...would running this essential update crash my iPhone? What does the installation of this do, exactly? I've found it as a standalone download in the search field and shows to be published by Apple but gives no description as to what it is.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm getting a "Network Timed Out" error when attempting to access Cydia...is this happening to anyone else or is it one of the "errors" it was referring to by not updating?

DONT UPDATE! i dont know which one, but a lot of people (including myself) updated all and were forced to restore. after these "updates" it restarts the phone, goes to the apple boot logo for a few seconds then turns back off. so far the only way to fix it is to go into dfu mode, restore, rejailbreak, reinstall all of your apps (not bad if you have ur backup in itunes and rock/cydia).

Me too. I'm done JB'ing.

yeah it's unfortunate that we all are having this problem. but there's just some things that i cant go w/out on my phone! hopefully this problem gets fixed and we can find out why it's doing this. but hey, i guess if it aint broke dont fix it! ignore the updates in cydia/rock (for now)

Considering I use this phone for real work related stuff, and now it's DEAD until I return home after work to do yet another restore, I've been looking for reasons to stop JB'ing because of these types of issues and simply poor programming by some jb app programmers.

I too have a few jb apps that I simply do not want to live without:
    ATimeTool
    CallMe
    SBSETTINGS (and ALL that it does)
    Infinidock
    Status Notifier

If I could find app store replacements I'd move to them immediately.

JB'ing on the whole is GREAT and I support, but I simply can't accept this down time any more as well as the Apple<>JB cat-n-mouse game.

i hear ya man. sbsettings, irealsms and a few theme tweaks, ifile, safari download manager. but yeah, if you're using it for work you cant afford the downtime...but on the other hand, NOW YOU KNOW NOT TO INSTALL UPDATES OR DO ANY TYPE OF SYSTEM MODDING UNTIL YOU'RE AT HOME! lol just some advice bro. happy modding!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve82 View Post
    PS: I'm getting a "Network Timed Out" error when attempting to access Cydia...is this happening to anyone else or is it one of the "errors" it was referring to by not updating?
    This part is not just you. It's happening to everyone right now. Cydia is being over run by everyone who was just able to jailbreak with Spirit.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

my cydia doesnt even open,
    hope this is fixed

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

I upgraded an nothing happened to my phone?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

get out!
    haha jk
    lucky

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

Thanks for all the replies...I won't be updating Cydia anytime soon then. Especially not since I still don't know why there's an "iPhone Firmware" included in the packages to be installed. Would be nice if Cydia included a description as to what this was, exactly!

I DID update Winterboard, though, and noticed some immediate speed increases...the new WB update rocks but obviously may not be for everyone!

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

I upgraded all and no problems, I have 3gs old bootrom PWNAGE Tool 3.1.5 at 3.1.3 firmware for a while!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I updated and I haven't had any problems.

So I HAD to do a restore. Afterwards my app icons are spread across 7 pages with most not actually showing any icons. They do appear in iTunes app-rearranger tab as if they're actually there, but I can't see them.

Any ideas?

I've updated Cydia just fine today and there wasn't an issue.

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

Those with issues do you have both Rock and Cydia?

It seems Rock extensions mess with Cydia files.

From Twitter today via chpwn (developer of proswitcher,infinidock , and infiniboard)
    " Next update of my apps will uninstall the stupid "Appsidy Plugin". God, @rockyourphoneco, you guys are desperate to piss people off >_>...

(Note that the Appsidy plugin /modifies Cydia/ and will cause major issues when Cydia is updated, if not before.)"

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by davesnothere11 View Post
    Those with issues do you have both Rock and Cydia?

It seems Rock extensions mess with Cydia files.

From Twitter today via chpwn (developer of proswitcher,infinidock , and infiniboard)
    " Next update of my apps will uninstall the stupid "Appsidy Plugin". God, @rockyourphoneco, you guys are desperate to piss people off >_>...

(Note that the Appsidy plugin /modifies Cydia/ and will cause major issues when Cydia is updated, if not before.)"
    I have both Rock and Cydia and Rock extentions and like I said I had no problems!

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Has anybody noticed ???? The 'white' text app names (all of them) under every App are little dim and hard to read? The text for the permanent docked apps (Phone Mail Safari and iPod) are normal (and noticeably brighter) and easier to read .

This either has to do with BossPaper or the 8 essential upgrades earlier today.

Ideas? Anyone else?

iPhone? More like MyPhone davesnothere11's Avatar
    Thanks

^ Mes
    Mines same as before the upgrades but I don't use BossPaper.

iPhone? More like MyPhone MikeT674's Avatar
    Thanks

i did the updates with no problem (3G 3.1.2 Blackra1n)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast