+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Ad Revenue For Mod Makers?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys, I'm not greedy or anything, but it suddenly struck me that someone is making a lot of money off me, I think. Cydia has ads built into it,
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,695 Times in 839 Posts

Default Cydia Ad Revenue For Mod Makers?
    Hey guys, I'm not greedy or anything, but it suddenly struck me that someone is making a lot of money off me, I think. Cydia has ads built into it, so that when someone views any mod, even if they don't download it, they get the pleasure of looking at an ad.

I checked on a few of my mods and quickly added up only the downloads (this isn't counting the page views!) and the total came to about 250,600. And don't forget that there are two sets of ads, one to look at the package, and another on the download screen, which would double that number in ads viewed. This is only counting about 2/3 of the mods I currently have on Cydia. I have received no donations for my work.

I'm not suggesting I get paid for them, seeing how I'm willingly sharing them with the community, but I'm curious as to who is making the money from my page views. Is it Saurik? Modmyi?

Anybody know anything about how ad revenue works and can enlighten me?

Thanks

I'd contact the repo owners that host your apps/mods directly.

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

And your upset why exactly????

Do you understand how much:

1. Time/Effort has been put into developing Cydia by Jay (Saurik) and how it has revolutionized whay you do on your iphone.

2. How EXPENSIVE it is to run the servers to keep cydia and all these repositories running for the tens of thousands of users who have access to them for free.

3. Not only has Jay developed Cydia FOR FREE, he has also developed Winterboard FOR FREE which is one of the most popular apps developed for the iphone, a few other apps we all use AND caches everyones SHSH files on his server for 3GS owners to be able to restore/downgrade FOR FREE.

Seriously, it is deserved....it takes approx 20-30 minutes just to package a request from you or anyone (theme, app, ringtone, etc) to be placed on a repo - all done manually.

But yes Saurik makes ad revenue on Cydia directly, the owners of the repos make ad revenue through the things they host (ads within the package view).
    Last edited by cpjr; 04-28-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks

If you want money, charge for your stuff. Let them have the ad money...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

The repo owners make the ad revenue. saurik takes 30% of the sales from the cydia store. With over a million in cydia app sales, saurik is doing ok.