+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Changing SMS tones?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Ok so, I have a 3g 16gb iPhone jailbroken. I have downloaded some new sms tones but they arnt there when i try to change it in settings. Am i
    Thanks

Default Changing SMS tones?
    Ok so, I have a 3g 16gb iPhone jailbroken. I have downloaded some new sms tones but they arnt there when i try to change it in settings. Am i missing something? The default sms tones are abysmal.

Any help would be great guys....
    Last edited by Sailor-girl; 04-25-2010 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone dale2's Avatar
    Thanks

are you jailbroken? you cant add sms tones to the iphone, but if you are jailbroken you can replace the existing ones with different sound files of the same format, just rename them to match the ones you are replacing.

theres 6 files
    sms-recieved1.caf
    sms-recieved2.caf
    sms-recieved3.caf
    sms-recieved4.caf
    sms-recieved5.caf
    sms-recieved6.caf

convert your sound file to .aif then rename it to match one of those 6 and manually change the extension to .caf. with your new file, place it in the /system/library/audio/UIsounds folder on your iphone.
    whichever one you replaced will still be called its own name in settings, but once you select you will hear the new one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale2 View Post
    are you jailbroken? you cant add sms tones to the iphone, but if you are jailbroken you can replace the existing ones with different sound files of the same format, just rename them to match the ones you are replacing.

theres 6 files
    sms-recieved1.caf
    sms-recieved2.caf
    sms-recieved3.caf
    sms-recieved4.caf
    sms-recieved5.caf
    sms-recieved6.caf

convert your sound file to .aif then rename it to match one of those 6 and manually change the extension to .caf. with your new file, place it in the /system/library/audio/UIsounds folder on your iphone.
    whichever one you replaced will still be called its own name in settings, but once you select you will hear the new one.
    OK, so as much as i appreciate your help, one read of the first line of my question would have told u i was jailbroken. secondly, that is too much of a clart on for me, looks like its the ting ting of my normal sms tone for good, lol