Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Is it legal to sell an unlocked iPhone?

Default Is it legal to sell an unlocked iPhone?
    Hi everyone, I'm relatively new to the whole jailbreak/unlock part of the iPhone, and I was hoping to get some insight from others who are more fluent in the topic.

I currently have an iPhone that is jailbroken and unlocked. I no longer have any use for it, and I would like to sell it on eBay. But after reading several articles on the legality of unlocked iPhones, I am worried about attempting to sell it. Does anyone have solid knowledge about this?

Thanks!

Jailbreaking and unlocking isn't illegal. Sure you can! And you can sell it for more to the people that have no clue about that stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by xYurjevich View Post
    Jailbreaking and unlocking isn't illegal. Sure you can! And you can sell it for more to the people that have no clue about that stuff!
    Sweet, but do you have any sources that confirm that its legal? I've read a lot about DCMA laws and the such.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Nope it's legal

Thanks

It's legal. Apple says it's not but it's just a simple claim backed up by nothing.

A very common misconception in the term "Illegal" and "Against the Law", is that people believe they mean the same thing.

Just because a company says its illegal, doesn't mean its against the law. Illegal is a term that means its against the regulations of the company who created the product in question. Against the law refers to something that breaks provincial/federal/state law. It is illegal to mod your iphone, but not against the law.

Examples:

A police officer will say "It is against the law for you to drive drunk". He would never (or shouldn't, because he may not know the difference either!) say "It is illegal for you to drive drunk".

You bought an iPhone, it's your device, do what you want with it. If you want to test its level of flame retardation, or see if you can hear the ringer under water, you can do that if you want.

Even if it is illegal, who gives a ****? No one is going to do anything. The police would never waste their time on something like that.
    h

Hey thanks everyone for the input! It really has been helpful! Now I'm not so worried, lol.