Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Circle instead of 3G symbol - what is this?

Default Circle instead of 3G symbol - what is this?
    I was recently in the UK and used a Vodafone SIM. At times when I was in an area of low reception the 3G symbol would disappear and be replaced with a circle. Any idea what this is? I suspect it's to do with a considerably slower connection as using the internet became slow or impossible.

I never see this symbol in my home country, Sweden, though the operator (3) is 3G-only.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -img_0523.png  

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

In the USA it represents a GPRS signal which is older technology. This is why your connections are slower. It is usually only found in remote areas.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChaos View Post
    In the USA it represents a GPRS signal which is older technology. This is why your connections are slower. It is usually only found in remote areas.
    Thanks, figured it would be that. Haven't been on GPRS since I gave up my non-3G Blackberry Pearl a year ago... and that was some painfully slow surfing. The upside is of course that I can still use some data services, whereas my current operator often has no service in remote areas. Feels good to know, been wondering about that for a month (look at the date in the screenshot). Cheers