View Poll Results: Do you think Apple will discontinue the 16GB for the new iPhone?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 30.00%
  • No

14 70.00%

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Do you think Apple will discontinue the 16GB?

Default Do you think Apple will discontinue the 16GB?
    If History is bound to repeat itself, You would know that after each new iPhone is released, the lowest storage model is discontinued

iPhone 2G [1st Gen]: 8GB and 4GB
    iPhone 3G: 8GB and 16GB [4GB Model discontinued]
    iPhone 3GS: 16GB and 32GB [8GB Model discontinued

So what do you think?

I think its a 50/50 chance but who knows. Seeing how both the iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS had a minimum of $199 for the lowest storage on its release. It might be awesome to see the 32GB Model [of the new iPhone] being $199 but one can dream
    Owner of: iPhone 4S, 4, 3GS, 3G, 2G
    Check out my theme: Metallic Shine HD (+SD) in Cydia
    Leave feedback and thanks

No
    Keithsta

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

No

I doubt so. If they keep increasing the minimum memory twice but keeping the price the same, Apple would start to lose profit. I think the 16GB will stay for the 4th gen. I'm sure there is quite a number of consumers who do not need 32GB. 8/16GB is pretty much the sweet spot for most smartphones now anyway, I doubt Apple will break it by raising it to 32GB, then 64GB the next year.

nope...only reason of the last too is that it was toooooooo small to hold anything
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Yes.

1. There's more and more demand for space.

2. I don't think Apple wants there to be too many sizes for each gen phone. I don't think they'll want you to have to choose between 3 different size phones. This is assuming the new largest size will be 64gb of course.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

Voted No here...

"Always remember your special and unique!"

If they can double the size of the disk (does anyone know what the A4 can access?) then the new device might have 32 and 64Gb - it is unlikely that they will do 3 models of the new iPhone. They will probably have a bottom end model as well, possibly the 16Gb 3Gs. Keeping the 8Gb 3G as well seems unlikely (almost as unlikely as having duplicates in CDMA)- I doubt if Apple would want more than 3 models at one time.

But I could be wrong.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

No
    Keithsta

iPhone? More like MyPhone AKA_Ben's Avatar
    Thanks

Maybe. It would seem that since new chips come out each year that essentially double in size that the iPhone could support 64GB (since it can only hold one chip thanks to the radios).

I wouldn't put it past them to do what they did with the iPod touch line last year and just drop the middle capacity. Maybe we'll see a 16GB and 64GB iPhone 4/HD/AV?
    *Insert wit here*

i say yes

Bump

i hope this thread discontinues.....but RonHC resurrected it.....
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    i hope this thread discontinues.....but RonHC resurrected it.....

there can't be a iPhone 64gb because the size of chip that apple uses for iphones + ipod touches (touchs?) only goes up to 32gb, the reason why there is a 64gb ipod touch is because there is room for 2 32gb chips in it because of the lack of phone, cell connector and camera
    Name? whereswaldo
    iDevice + Firmware? 32GB Black iPhone 4 iOS 5.0
    Computer + OS? Dell Inspiron 15R 2nd Gen i5, 2.3 Ghz, 750GB HDD, 8GB RAM Windows 7 HP
    Location? Toronto
    Found yet? No

The SGold chip only supported 16Gb (hence 16 was the max for the 3G but the iPod had 2 16Gb chips so 32Gb) but the SGold2 supports 32Gb (hence 32Gb for the 3GS and 64Gb for the iPT3G) but who knows what will be in the 4G? Or what size memory it will support?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.