+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G - Greyed Out WiFi/Bluetooth, No Modem Firmware #

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I'm trying to help my friend with his iPhone 3G that is currently Out of Warranty. It was running 3.0 or 3.0.1 Unlocked via UltraSn0w It came up with a
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3G - Greyed Out WiFi/Bluetooth, No Modem Firmware #
    I'm trying to help my friend with his iPhone 3G that is currently Out of Warranty.

It was running 3.0 or 3.0.1 Unlocked via UltraSn0w

It came up with a restore needed warning (no clue if the wifi or anything was greyed out), so he restored to 3.1.2.

So, he restored it to 3.1.2, and during the restore, it came back with an error message (It was 1603, or something like that). When 3.1.2 starting running, it has a greyed out wifi/bluetooth and no modem firmware shows up in setting/about.

I've tried restoring it to 3.1.2 a couple times, with the same results. It always has a pop up that says "Restore Needed"

From what I've read, it looks like the baseband is corrupted, but I don't know exactly how to restore the baseband outside of restoring the firmware.

Any help would be greatly appericated! I have a Macbook Pro with Win7 and Snow Leopard, so it doesn't really matter what OS any tools require.

Edit: Tried restoring, got a 1013 error

Edit Again: Anyone know the commands for iRecovery for Mac/WiFi Address?

I tried radio readnvram, and it doesn't do anything. I tried on my 3GS and it did the same thing.

Another Edit: How would one check the bootloader version without installing anything on the iPhone? I can't load anything via Cydia since no WiFi. Its an old iPhone, and it may have 5.8 bootloader so I can try to downgrade the BB. I can't tell by the S/N since it is a refurb.
    Last edited by shadow25; 04-12-2010 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

there is a few fixes on cydia for bluetooth and wifi problems
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up Solution to greyed out wifi
    With jailbroken and unlocked iphones this normally occurs during an upgrade of firmware through itunes. Itunes version 9 and above while upgrading firmware also corrupt your baseband if the phone is jailbroken thereby rendering wifi unusable.
    I had this issue on my iphone 2G and after deep search and information gathering and attempting successfully, I am putting them together in a single tutorial.

There is no choice but to downgrade to firmware 1.1.4 to fix baseband.

Following is the solution.

1. Windows system (no problem with XP but if you have vista or 7 then run iliberty and redsn0w in compatability mode)

2. Only use iTunes 7.6. Download it from Old Version of iTunes 7.6.0 Download - OldApps.com

3. iPhone firmware 1.1.4 Download it from IPhone Firmware Download Links - ModMyi - Wiki

4. iLibertySetup.v1.3.0.113. Download it from iLibertySetup_1.3.0.113.exe

5. KiPhone (ZiPhone patched by kIREmK(04.05.02_G)
    Download from Download ZiPhone patched by kIREmK(04.05.02_G).zip, upload your files and earn money.

Now save all these files in a single folder on the desktop and name the folder as wififix.

Step 1
    1.1 If you have anything above or below intunes version 7.6, first uninstall it.
    Itunes uninstall procedure.
    First uninstall applemobile driver.
    Next uninstall itunes
    Next uninstall apple software update
    Next uninstall bonjour
    Next uninstall quicktime
    Now go to My documents/My music folder and delete itunes folder.
    Next delete Apple Computer folder. In Win7 you will find it under your main OS drive(usually C), Users/the default user/appdata/roaming.
    In XP it is under Documents and Settings/Application Data

1.2 Install iTunes 7.6 and reboot.

KILL THE PROCESS ITUNESHELPER.EXE BY OPENING TASK MANAGER (CTRL+ALT+DEL)

If needed back-up the contents of your phone.
    IT IS BETTER IF YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET BUT IGNORE ALL ITUNES UPDATE MESSAGES. INFACT WITHIN ITUNES UNDER PREFERENCES DISABLE ALL ITUNES AUTO UPDATE FEATURES.

Step 2

2.1 Switch off iphone and connect it to your PC and launch iTunes.

2.3 Put the iphone in DFU mode.
    To put in DFU mode,
    Press sleep\wake and home button together. Count to 10 seconds and release sleep\wake button without releasing the home button. Keep the home button pressed till you computer detects the device and appears within itunes.
    A soon as itunes detects your iphone it will give a message "iTunes has detected an iPhone in recovery mode, You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes".

2.4 Now press 'shift' and click on restore button, itunes will ask you to select the firmware(ipsw) file. Point itunes to the wififix folder on your desktop and select the 1.1.4 firmware ipsw file (iPhone1,1_1.1.4_4A102_Restore.ipsw) you downloaded earliar.

Itunes will now restore your firmware. If you get any error message at the end, do not panic, follow the restore steps again and try. If you still get any error message, then you need to use Kiphone to fix the error.

Quit iTunes and start KiPhone downloaded above, select the options debug and ierase and click start.
    If it does not detect the iphone, disconnect the iphone and reconnect while pressing the home key

After kphone patches your iphone, repeat the steps from 2.1 to 2.4 and this time your iphone will be restores to firmware 1.1.4 without any problems.

Step 3

3.1 We will use iLiberty to Jailbreak, Unlock and Activate the iPhone,

Install and launch iLiberty.
    THE NEXT STEP IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR ILIBERTY TO WORK AND YOU SHOULD BE CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET FROM NOW ON.
    Go to Tools menu and under options tab,
    replace the url to
    http://iliberty.insideiphone.com/repo.plist
    and tick the check at startup option.
    Now close iliberty and start it again.
    iliberty will update itself. Select all the options under Standard tab and click on 'Got for it'.

iLiberty will ask you to do Disconnect and Reconnect the iPhone.
    If it does not detect, disconnect the iphone and reconnect while pressing the home key

iLiberty will do the Jailbreak, Unlock and Activation process and at the end of the process you will have a FakeBlanked 1.1.4 iPhone. This can sometimes be a long and drawn out process, please wait patiently and at no time, close iliberty or disconnect the phone.

If you check the settings, you will still find that the wifi is is either greyed out or not switchin on. Now we fix this problem as detailed below

Open iLiberty if it is not already open.

If your iphone wifi is greyed out with no bluetooth, Then

1. Go to 'Advanced' Tab in iliberty and then to 'Payload available on repo' tab and from there select download for Bootneuter, BSD Subsystem and download them. iliberty will download them from its server.

2. After download, select Payload Bootneuter, BSD Subsystem and click Go For It. iliberty will download them to your iphone as application.

3. After this update select Bootneuter icon in your iphone and retain what is already selected and also switch on Fakeblank and run Bootneuter. It will take sometime for Bootneuter to fakeblank. Please wait patiently, it will get over even if it takes about 5 minutes. After the process is over,

4. Come back to iLiberty and this time download DevTeam's FixWifi payload and download it.
    After it is downloaded, select payload Devteam’s Gray WIFI Fix and click on Go For it.

iliberty will now fix the wifi problem in your iphone and reboot it.
    Thats it your wifi and bluetooth should be fixed now

If your phones wifi is not switching on with no Bluetooth Signal, Then in iliberty,

1. Go to Advanced Tab and then Payload available on repo and download the payload for Fix for No wifi, No Signal, No Bluetooth.

2. After Download select the Payloads downloaded and click Go For It.

Thats it your wifi and bluetooth should be fixed now

NOW UPGRADE YOUR FULLY RESTORED, JAILBROKEN AND UNLOCKED IPHONE 1.1.4 TO WHATEVER FIRMWARE YOU WANT TO UPGARDE TO.

Remember whenever you are upgrading your firmware, use the right version of itumes. For upgrade to firmware 3.0 with redsn0w use itunes 8.2.
    Wheneever you need to change itunes version on your PC, perform a clean uninstall using the method mentioned earlier.

Cheers and good luck.

Thanks

just restore the phone to the stock firmware if the proplem presits than its hardware. but if it does work and dosent work when its jailbroken the jailbreak was bad and try re downloading that. and there is a fix in cydia i m not sure if its for 3.0 but i know this happend a lot. and ziphone is the devil the worst thing you could ever do to your phhone
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@screamforme02, zipphone has it set of problems but this is a patched version called kiphone and works very well in patching the restore problems of firmware 1.1.4.
    There is no viable solution for wifi greyout with jailbroken iPhones withot fakeblanking which is only possible by downgrading firmware to 1.1.4

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@G Kannan - does this work for 3gs also ? I have the same problem: no wifi, no baseband, no bluetooth and imei.

Also I have to say that i bought the phone blocked. It was blocked on emergency calls and i managed to make it boot and start normaly. But everytime when tried to upgrade the firmware from itunes i got a 23 error message. I read that 23 error message means that wifi (or radio) is burned/damaged.

Does your tutorial work for my case ?

Thank you in advance.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@Kodiena, yes it will. Give it a go, you have nothing to lose.
    If you want snapshots, I can email it to you.
    Good luck
    Kannan

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@G Kannan - thank you for your answer. I gave it a try. The problem is Itunes 7 doesnt see my 3gs and I am unable to go forward that step..

Another problem now, I used Spirit to see if something will change and now my phone keeps restarting over and over. So, another pain in the a**.

To manny problems, im loosing my mind!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Dera Kodiena,
    did you use the method I mentioned to install iTunes. iTunes 6 is a must.
    By the way did windows recognize the iPhone, if so then it is only a iTunes installation issue.
    If iTunes still refuses to read the phone, put it in DFU mode.
    Every step I have given above is critical.
    Follow it exactly and I am sure you will have a fully working phone.
    A reader confirmed it worked on 3g, so 3gs should not be an issue.
    You might lose some functionality of 3gs when you are in 1.1.4, but that should get rectified after you update the firmware to 3.1.2.
    I suggest you remain at 3.1.2 if u need to unlock else you can go ip to 3.1 3 if you only need to jailbreak.
    Since you mention iPhone is going on rebooting, try putting it in dfu mode after you reinstall iTunes 6 by the method I have mentioned.
    Good luck.

Dear Kodeina,
    Sorry for the error in my above comment. Read iTunes 6 as iTunes 7.6
    Last edited by G Kannan; 05-12-2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by G Kannan View Post
    @Kodiena, yes it will. Give it a go, you have nothing to lose.
    If you want snapshots, I can email it to you.
    Good luck
    Kannan
    Quit spreading inaccurate information.

The tools you are talking about are VERY outdated, and will NOT work with a 3G/3GS

Example..

You linked to this iPhone Firmware - (iPhone1,1_1.1.4_4A102_Restore.ipsw)

No 3G/3G[S] iPhone ever had 1.1.4 and it will NOT work. Also, 3G[S] iPhones need SSH Blobs in order to restore firmware, so your reader is full of ****

iPhone 1,1 = iPhone 2G
    iPhone 1,2 = iPhone 3G
    iPhone 2,1 = iPhone 3GS

You'll also notice your link to KiPhone shows BB 04.05.02, which is a 2G Baseband, NOT 3G/3GS

So, no, your method will NOT work on a 3G/3GS. Don't tell people what to try when anyone with a brain will figure out it will brick their phone

My friend went to the Apple Store, they took it apart and said something inside was damaged, and he paid $200 to replace it

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@G Kannan - being itunes 7.6 i think he doesnt the drivers for dfu mode, because when i put it on dfu mode the pc is trying to install the drivers but dont find them.

anyway, i found out that the phone i bought might be stolen and this is the reason that imei, baseband and sn is missing, because was blocked by the provider. and along with the imei and baseband, wifi and bluetooth died togheter.

is this possible ?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@shadow25,
    As I had already mentioned, I had only an iphone 2G to test and it worked for me and I also managed to fix a couple more 2G phones one of which was ugraded to 3.1.2.

I spent quite sometime now about the firmware lock for 3g and 3gs phones. U are correct in saying that 3G and 3gs phones are locked at higher basebands and cannot be downgraded to 1.1.4 or apparantly there is no such methods as of now.

I recd a message from an iphone 3g user saying it worked for him. I have asked him to post the details.

Let me reiterate that since i don't have 3g or 3gs to check, I can only ask the members to try and thank you for the clarifications. Regarding 2G users this is the only method for wifi loss. Outdated or otherwise, this is the only solution.

@kodeina,
    It has been reported that upgrading firmware on jailbroken and unlocked iphone 3G and 3GS with itunes 9 to firmware 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 also upgrades the baseband and permanently disables unlock.
    Though this can be rectified on 3g, with 3gs I guess it is not possible.
    Try restoring your firmware to 3 and try unlocking using redsn0w. You may not recover wifi but probably you may be able to use your phone.
    Last edited by G Kannan; 05-13-2010 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@G Kannan - im pretty sure i have a dead phone now. I bought it kinda cheap, 200 euros, when in my country a 32g 3gs is sold with 400 euros.

Before buying I saw it has no imei and sn but after googling a bit i saw im not the one having this problem and it can be fixed. Now I found that my phone might be stolen and blocked by a provider so it is useless.

I dont know what to do. I cant even start the phone at the moment. Now when im trying to start it the apple logo shows and when it should boot the os (after 20-30 seconds) it gets shutted down. But im starting to be offtopic.

I dont think any lower firmware then 3.0 will work for 3gs because everytime trying to put a lower version told me is incompatible with my device.

Thanks

@G Kannan

Next time, I'd post a warning that it will not work on a 3G/3GS. Like I said, most people can figure out it won't work for a 2G, but there are some people who'd try it. Kinda like everyone who upgraded to 3.1.3

@kodeina

I don't know the way IMEI's are blocked (US doesn't block IMEIs of stolen phones), but I highly doubt it would make the IMEI disappear along with the BB and S/N. My train of thought (choo choo) is that when a phone is IMEI blocked, the tower will refuse connection, not beam down some signal to corrupt the baseband/radio

Is your phone still on 3.1.2? If so, and you have nothing to lose, try upgrading to 3.1.3, since it should flash the baseband. If it does it successfully, then you have a locked working iPhone that you can test with a offical carrier sim

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@shadow25 - thank you for your reply. Since all users with the same problem as me (no imei/no baseband/no wifi, etc) are having problems restoring the phone because of an 23 error, I managed to pass the 23 error after 2 days of research and upgraded to 3.1.3. the phone now is blocked on emergency calls and still has no imei and iccid.

I dont know what else I should try. I called my apple store from my country and (with no worries) they told me to wait until the unlock appears on june. they said is not a hardware problem. I dont know what to think anymore..

Thanks

Well if it's on emergency screen u should be able to jailbreak. And u never know it could just be a fake iPhone Kirf style lol but good luck

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

ive jailbraked it and downgraded it to 3.1.2 thanks to shsh files. the phone had a corrupt baseband and because of the newer bootloader (6.4) i was unable to erase it. Because, to flash the baseband and to work proprely (in case is corupted) you need to erase it first.

I sold the phone because i was not in the mood to wait till the unlock comes.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Distraught and Disconected- iPhone 3g, No WiFi greyed out
    Hi can you help me, I believe you had a pretty good response to solving the questioners problem. I am having the same problem but with my iPhone 3g.

My mom gave me her 3g when she upgraded to a 4g. When I received her phone I was unfamiliar with iPhone. I did not even check to see if the WiFi worked. Like a clueless person I upgrade her 3.0 to a 4.2.1 then jail broke it.

I then realized that the WiFi was greyed out and said NO WIFI. I did some research and tried to downgrade which made my phone stay in restore mode for 3 days till i finally found someone with the best resolution. I kept getting 1015 and 1694 errors.

Any who, I was eventually able to to downgrade but only to a 4.1. I still hand NO WIFI but I said **** it and unlock it manually just to not feel the burden of screwing with the phone any further.

Right now I am afraid to do anything else because it works fine just NO WIFI. I thought I would just settle and get a prepaid data plan which you can in the country I currently live in.

Could you please give me some advice ohh apple guru?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kodeina View Post
    ive jailbraked it and downgraded it to 3.1.2 thanks to shsh files. the phone had a corrupt baseband and because of the newer bootloader (6.4) i was unable to erase it. Because, to flash the baseband and to work proprely (in case is corupted) you need to erase it first.

I sold the phone because i was not in the mood to wait till the unlock comes.

Hi, I am new to this forum so apologise if my format is a bit out........I have a 3GS that has been jailbroken to 4.1.0, my problem is that the WiFi, Bluetooth, IMEI, ICCID and Modem Firmware are all blank (Bluetooth is all zeros), I have had to fit a new battery, LCD, Digitiser and Glass, oh! and repair the power button.....so I have been having a rough time of it all through...one thing after another, this is my sons phone and he is in the middle of a costly contract with no insurance and no iPhone at the moment....I seemed to get so close to getting it working and now i have hit a brick wall....I keep reading it may be hardware damage on the motherboard but no-one identifies which part of the board....but a few seem to think it may be a software issue, I have also read about the SHSH files, don't fully understand them except that they are signature files dedicated to your phone, where are they located and what is in them, I don't believe mine was ever backed up and so is not present....is there any way around this?? and lastly if I upgrade to iPad baseband will it replace the missing baseband.... I have been reluctant to do this as I understand once this step is taken you cannot restore to an earlier version, the last resort is to flash the chip that holds the Modem firmware with the appropriate firmware......is this possible and how would I go about it?
    Sorry for the epic, but I really am stuck now

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default RE: Iphone 3G-Grayed out WiFi/Bluetooth, No Modem Firmware...
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveChick View Post
    Hi, I am new to this forum so apologise if my format is a bit out........I have a 3GS that has been jailbroken to 4.1.0, my problem is that the WiFi, Bluetooth, IMEI, ICCID and Modem Firmware are all blank (Bluetooth is all zeros), I have had to fit a new battery, LCD, Digitiser and Glass, oh! and repair the power button.....so I have been having a rough time of it all through...one thing after another, this is my sons phone and he is in the middle of a costly contract with no insurance and no iPhone at the moment....I seemed to get so close to getting it working and now i have hit a brick wall....I keep reading it may be hardware damage on the motherboard but no-one identifies which part of the board....but a few seem to think it may be a software issue, I have also read about the SHSH files, don't fully understand them except that they are signature files dedicated to your phone, where are they located and what is in them, I don't believe mine was ever backed up and so is not present....is there any way around this?? and lastly if I upgrade to iPad baseband will it replace the missing baseband.... I have been reluctant to do this as I understand once this step is taken you cannot restore to an earlier version, the last resort is to flash the chip that holds the Modem firmware with the appropriate firmware......is this possible and how would I go about it?
    Sorry for the epic, but I really am stuck now
    The reason for all of the unique device identifiers being corrupted is the baseband chip on the logicboard has failed, more than likely it was during the jailbreak when attempting to flash in the Ipad baseband (6.15.00) I'm pretty sure of that because i've bricked 2 of my own this month and it wasnt until after going ahead with the baseband flash. I was able to downgrade the firmware from 4.3.5 down to 4.1 and jailbreak with Redsn0w (only installing Cydia) and i had absolutely no issues with either phone, in my area the Unlocked 3GS
    is stiil holding a decent resale value and i had a buyer lined up for my spare phone under the condition it was Unlocked so he could use it with T-Mobile. Because i was on 5.16.02 i had no choice but go up to unlock. I again used Redsn0w (the exact same versions that i downloaded well over a year ago and have used on a minimum of 20 devices without a single issue until this month) it seemed to identify the IPSW, patch the kernels, prepare and upload the ramdisk, EVERYTHING, as smooth as always. It finished up, re-booted, and i plugged it into Itunes 10 to activate, popped my AUTHENTIC AT&T sim card in and couldnt get it to stop searching for a signal. Went into settings and started seeing the grayed out and blank lines and i just knew that it was more serious than a bad restore that could be corrected with Itunes and Tinyumbrella. So for anyone who wants to take a few minute to read a little more on the issue as well as see that someone is offering a legit fix to the problem go ahead and check this article out.
    No IMEI, No Bluetooth and No WiFI Error iPhone 3G/3GS is due to Bad BB Chip | BeijingiPhoneRepair.com