+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Passcode and data erase feature - details?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So i am unlucky enough to have lost my cell phone over the weekend. It was jailbroken, it had a code on the phone as well as the SIM and
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Passcode and data erase feature - details?
    So i am unlucky enough to have lost my cell phone over the weekend. It was jailbroken, it had a code on the phone as well as the SIM and I had data erase enabled on it. SIM is not really an issue as I have already ported my number to a new SIM card and got myself a new iphone although it is one that cannot be jailbroken.

So question here... data erase feature where they say 10 time you enter the wrong code then your phone is wiped.. then what? the phone becomes a nice brand new phone for someone to use?

If I had a passcode lock feature on it, should i just disable the data wipe so that even if someone had the phone no one can use it or is there a way around the code that I should know about that would make my code useless to begin with.

Thanks

even if you disable the data wipe if someone is smart they will wipe it and it starts its life as a fresh iPhone for anyone anyway,, the only way you can hope that phone is dead is to get the IMEI number barred then again you can hactivate,,, either way its getting wiped and used in no time
    If I've helped you remember to say

Thanks

DFU Restore and the phone is new. I recently went through the same thing, but didn't have "wipe" set. Luckily I recovered my phone. Sorry for your loss.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

oh so even if the phone is locked. it can be out into DFU/recovery mode .. icic.. I never really tried to do it so I was wondering. Thanks for the info tho. yeah they dont barr IMEI here the closest thing is a electronic police data base that anyone can access to check if a phone is stolen/lost via IMEI, that would only be useful if the person tried to sell a phone to someone who checks... i.e a store or a smart/honest person. But I am not particularly optimistic. Which is why I went out and got another the next day thing pissing me off now is I can jailbreak the version I have... which sucks.