+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Buying Tomorrow - 3Gs Untethered - Please Help

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I am going to hit up a few stores if needed and would love some advice. Do you think ATT will still be selling the older bootrom models? How exactly
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Buying Tomorrow - 3Gs Untethered - Please Help
    I am going to hit up a few stores if needed and would love some advice. Do you think ATT will still be selling the older bootrom models? How exactly do I identify this, I assume the serial is on the box. I keep hearing 940 or higher will be tethered. Please give me a little more detail if you got it. Thanks,
    SuM

plain jane vanilla (post count restored to FULL AWESOMENESS) cpjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,461 Times in 1,264 Posts

I SERIOUSLY DOUBT any are left and no, you cannot tell by looking at the box....and I also seriously doubt they will let you "look around".

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

u have a 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999 9999999999999% u will get the one with the new bootrom if u buy at att store or apple.
    the only way to get old is to buy from ebay or craigslist

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

Thanks

IMHO, one of the best ways to go is this:

if you have friend with the iPhone who don't care about jailbreaking, check their phone to see if it is a good phone for jailbreaking,
    offer to buy them a new phone in exchange for their old phone. That way you don't run the chance of getting ripped off. Plus most people will jump at the chance for a new phone. It's a win win

if you go to the store and buy a 3gs hoping it will be jailbreakable you are going to be disappointed

Thanks

+1 for the above suggestion
    If I've helped you remember to say

Thanks

All the iphones in the Walymart here are ALL 3gs 3.1.2 5.11

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    The above says I will not find the serial on the box, is that in fact correct? Am I asking to much to have ATT boot the device to see if it is running 3.1.2

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SuMeRiaN View Post
    The above says I will not find the serial on the box, is that in fact correct? Am I asking to much to have ATT boot the device to see if it is running 3.1.2
    I don't think they would let you do that, They might be aware of what your trying to look for lucky me when I got my new 3gs it was 3.1.2 now its 3.1.3 =/ cause of problems.. Soon there will be a new jb so you can always just wait it out like the rest of us
    "I want to change the world but they won't give me the source code"

"With Great Power , Comes Great responsibility" That is something we all need to remember

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Prox View Post
    I don't think they would let you do that, They might be aware of what your trying to look for lucky me when I got my new 3gs it was 3.1.2 now its 3.1.3 =/ cause of problems.. Soon there will be a new jb so you can always just wait it out like the rest of us
    Confused about your reply, if you got a 3.1.2 couldnt you just save your ECID to Jay Freeman's server and go back anytime?

Thanks

No, apple already stopped signing 3.1.2, you had to save them while apple was still signing.

Thanks

+1 for the Walmart suggestion. Up until recently, my local Walmart had week 32 phones but I live in the boonies.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Just visit my local ATT store and talked to my guy, he called around and everything they are seeing is 3.1.3. I am not starting a new contract with ATT, even though I am due for a subsidzied upgraded (every 12 mos) I still have 4 months on the existing 2yr contract. This pretty much rules out buying elsewhere. I just looked online to buy the phone outright and I can not believe what these things are going for...

Thanks

They are definitely expensive w/o a contract, but you actually save by buying outright and using a cheaper carrier like Tmobile...

But if you're under contract you might as well just wait for the new jailbreak

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Looks like Holtz and the Iphone dev team both have new hacks coming to defeat the bootroom and 3.1.3. Up till now I have been hoping they hold off showing the world until the 4G and 4.0 OS. FYI I cracked the screen on my 2G by dropping it.

Thanks

I would fix my 2g screen and hold out for the release of the new iPhone. Then either get the new one or see if the prices might drop on the 3gs
    ( hey, it could happen )

too much going on right now to buy anything, IMHO