+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 3G battery not charging, showing full when it isn't!

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I'm about to throw my iPhone out the window and buy an android phone, I'm so sick of this godforsaken phone and its problems. The most recent problem is that
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3G battery not charging, showing full when it isn't!
    I'm about to throw my iPhone out the window and buy an android phone, I'm so sick of this godforsaken phone and its problems. The most recent problem is that it's just not charging anymore, I plug in the phone and the battery icon at the top right will show that it's fully charged when it is not. It doesn't charge at all! Good thing I have a closet of iPhone batteries, so everytime one battery runs out, I switch to another battery. I've restored it, unjailbroken and jailbroken, doesn't help, restarted it over 9000 times, no luck. I'm running on my second logic board, as the first one had this problem, as with many others as well... As of right now, I'm using my old Sony Ericsson W580i and I would have to say, I have not been this happy with a cell phone in a long, long time.

Here's a pic of the problem, just took it.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

let your iphones battery drain completely flat dead so it comes up with the red battery with a lightning bolt on it when you try to turn it on but doesnt let you unless you plug it into the charger
    let it charge completely without use until it gets to %100 (which would take roughly 2 and a half hours) but once it gets to %100 keep it on charge for another 20mins or so

after that unplug it and see if it works

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

That's what happened the first time I had this problem, my phone ran out of juice 100%, I plugged it in overnight, it wouldn't turn on with the red battery and the lighting bolt like normal, usually it does this for 10 minutes and then it'll boot up. I woke up the next morning, and it was still on that screen with the red battery...
    The phone isn't even charging the battery, in that screenshot, I plugged in my phone when it was at 76%, and the phone just thinks it's fully charged every single time I plug it in regardless of the actual charge.
    No point bringing it to apple, they'd kick me out for molesting their product, 10% of the phone is actually original, every other part broke and had to replace it with stuff from ifixit.

Edit:
    Alright so I'm out of juice, I can't even restore my phone again or anything because it's not getting past that screen with the red battery and the lighting bolt, it's simply not charging anymore. I'm gonna sell this piece of crap on ebay and buy a nexus one, you have failed me once again apple.
    Last edited by velocity211; 03-27-2010 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

why not get a replacement from apple and kick up a stink???
    If I've helped you remember to say

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Because my warranty has been out for some time now and they would charge me the price of a 3GS for a replacement, no point. I went to the apple store yesterday and tried all of the display chargers and some of them actually charged the phone, but it was intermittent. I got a hold of a 2G iPhone yesterday and will be using that for now, hopefully the next iPhone will be something worthwhile or else t-mobile nexus one here I come!

Thanks

touché failing that give it a repair job on the dock connector

can buy the part off t'bay and a guide on youtube (or here most likely)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm actually on my second dock connector, the first one, the speaker broke and didn't play any sound. So when I got the replacement, it came with a new dock connector as well. I suppose I could try another one, but I don't really wanna spend that much money on this phone anymore.

Thanks

agreed, see about a cheap one and give it a hash,,, if it doesnt work,,,, theres always the next iPhone