+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Need help with repaird iPhone (Did it myself)

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I opened up an iPhone 3G 8GB to replace the battery. I replaced the 8GB battery with a battery that I had from a 16GB iPhone. The iPhone is put
    Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Default Need help with repaird iPhone (Did it myself)
    I opened up an iPhone 3G 8GB to replace the battery. I replaced the 8GB battery with a battery that I had from a 16GB iPhone. The iPhone is put back together but when I plug it in it stays on apple logo and then shows the battery icon with the thunderbolt. The battery doesn't seem to be charging but the phone does stay on that battery indicator screen when connected by USB. If I unplug it the whole iPhone just dies.

I tried to put the device in DFU mode and plug into iTunes. It will not restore. When it's about to restore the iPhone's screen stays all white and I get an error in iTunes saying it can't restore.

What is wrong?
    Android user suffering from iPhone withdraw.

Thanks

leave it on the charger for a minute see what happens...if not then try reconnecting
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

I left it on the charger for an hour. It's just showing me the battery indicator but it's depleted with a thunderbolt.

Any ideas. It looks like when it's in the Apple logo phase. The phone cuts off and then powers back on and shows apple logo. It's a continuous cycle. I think something may be wrong with the power connection. I didn't remove it when opening the iPhone and swapping batteries. I left the bottom connector in place.

This device previously fell in water but was working fine when I had it aside from the fact that the battery didn't last more than 30 minutes.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by gQstatus05; 03-25-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Water damage can cause problems even /months/ after it happens. It starts the oxidation/corrosion process and problems can pop up weeks or months later. Did you check all the connections closely for corrosion?

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

The initial problem was that the iPhone 3G 8GB wasn't holding a charge. It would be at 100 percent and die in like less than an hour. I figured it was the battery that wasn't holding a charge. I had a spare iPhone 3G 16GB battery laying around and decided try to fix it.

I took it apart and none of the connections were corroded. I checked them all to verify. When I put the iPhone together I plugged it into the USB and right away the Apple Logo came up. The iPhone would then cut off and then turn back on and go to the Apple Logo. I put it in DFU mode and iTunes was able to see it. I was going to restore it to 3.1.3 but I get an error saying that it can't be restore.