+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New app store T&C's

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Wow, I have just posted on the most unfriendly un-helpful forum I have ever come across. The response was basically "f* crapple". Maybe you guys can help instead. In the
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default New app store T&C's
    Wow, I have just posted on the most unfriendly un-helpful forum I have ever come across. The response was basically "f* crapple".

Maybe you guys can help instead.

In the recent change to terms and conditions there are a couple of scary looking items.

Particularly: "Section 13(c) of the iTunes Store Terms of Service, relating to ownership of intellectual property rights in the iTunes Store and the prohibition against infringement of those rights, has been clarified. "

From what I remember (tell me if I'm wrong) apples "jailbreaking is illegal" claim is based on intellectual property and copyright.

And given that they have been banning prominent jailbreakers from the app store, could this mean they're gearing up to start Xbox Live style banning from the app store?

It looks to me like a jailbreakers life is about to get considerably harder.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Even if they did how would they do it? I could see a class action lawsuit if they did start banning. Just in case, make sure to disable the Apple killswitch so they can't remote wipe your phone.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Well Microsoft bans people with modded Xboxes from Xbox live, although the main reason for jailbreaking isn't always piracy, as it seems to be for Xbox (although I don't have one). And iPhone hackers have been banned.

This may be a stupid question, but what's the Apple killswitch?

Oh, and just thought I'd add, I have had a helpful reply from the other forum as well, basically along the lines of "we'll always find ways to get around it". I'm interested to know what this could mean for us too though. Can't hurt to stay ahead of the game, eh!
    Last edited by AlexQuatermain; 03-24-2010 at 05:19 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

Xbox has a lot more things to trigger a ban. Even changing the fans can issue a ban because they notice the voltage off. There are several posts with the itunes ban that are using cracked apps and others that don't use them at all. Never get a full answer on what is on their phones to trigger this or if anything they have done was odd lately.

The kill switch can be found in SBSettings. It basically allows Apple to tell your phone to wipe the apps on the phone or app in question. Hasn't been used to my knowledge yet but who knows.

Hasn't that been in the TC since the start. I was reading it like a month or so ago too.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I didn't read them when I got my iPhone, but most of the changes I have noticed seem to be to make room for new services. In this new T&C they have also added some clauses to make room for app gifting.

I don't know, it just seems like in the past they have stated their position on jailbreaking - "Its illegal". Apparently... And patched exploits used by jailbreakers. It seems like now, at least, they have the option to actively go after Jailbreakers. It seems like a bit of a change in direction to me, and something we need to be aware of..

Thanks

I seriously doubt they will ever target individual jaibreakers. Now, if you make a website called "ih8appleiluvpiracy.c0m", then you might be targeted, but I still doubt it. Personally, I have yet to see any /proof/ that anyone has been banned.

As for jailbreaking being illegal, just because apple says/wants it to be does not make it so. I can say/want nosepicking to be illegal, but that doesn't make it so either
    Last edited by Effenpig!; 03-24-2010 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me Frostbite's Avatar
    over the hill across the river and through the candy cane forest
    Thanks

There is no way, presently, for apple to know if your jailbroken.
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

Thanks

They are able to if they have your device in hand and run a certain program on their machines; even after a oem os install. It was mention a long while ago about jailbreaks leaving a small piece of data that a restore to normal firmware can't remove that Apple can see if they really wanted to enforce.

Some of the older members will tell you about the name changes this place went through because of apple's threat of lawsuits because the name was to close for thier liking.

Thanks

^while this is true, there is no way apple can tell based purley on apple ID, which is what thy would have to ban, so for now we are safe

Thanks

How about in iTunes when it says it is collecting data to send to apple? I always select no, but I always wondered if it really matters

Thanks

Theoretically it's possible to tell based on the nature of the crashes sent (you can read the crash log if you hit show details) however I doubt that this is associated with your apple I.D. and more Likely the iPod itself

Thanks

Oh well, I'll still press no. The less they know the better

Thanks

Bump

Thanks

Bump a 5 min old thread?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
    There is no way, presently, for apple to know if your jailbroken.
    Apple's iTunes has access to your iPhone's entire file system everytime you sync. Think about it. It has to in order to install firmware updates, apps, music, contacts, schedules, ringtones, etc.

It's actually very easy to determine whether your iPhone is jailbroken from your file system. There are files and directories that clearly identify your iPhone as jailbroken. If you don't believe me, Tweet Muscle or someone from the DEV-TEAM and ask.

So the bottom line is if Apple wants to determine that your iPhone is jailbroken, they can do it easily.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown

Thanks

^ this is true but AGAIN none of that is assocaited with your apple ID. So the worst they could do is brick your phone and I doubt they will do that

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hmm, so we're probably safe, for now.

Just wondering what those little traffic lights are by my post (in the general iphone chat page, not the actual thread) Is that just it's way of telling me I started the thread?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlexQuatermain View Post
    Hmm, so we're probably safe, for now.

Just wondering what those little traffic lights are by my post (in the general iphone chat page, not the actual thread) Is that just it's way of telling me I started the thread?
    No that just means you've made a comment there
    If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here

My iPhone is a Part of Me area51crypto's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    Xbox has a lot more things to trigger a ban. Even changing the fans can issue a ban because they notice the voltage off. There are several posts with the itunes ban that are using cracked apps and others that don't use them at all. Never get a full answer on what is on their phones to trigger this or if anything they have done was odd lately.

The kill switch can be found in SBSettings. It basically allows Apple to tell your phone to wipe the apps on the phone or app in question. Hasn't been used to my knowledge yet but who knows.

Hasn't that been in the TC since the start. I was reading it like a month or so ago too.
    Does the Apple Killswitch need to be on or off? I am thinking off but would like to know for sure!

Area51

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by area51crypto View Post
    Does the Apple Killswitch need to be on or off? I am thinking off but would like to know for sure!

Area51
    Turn killswitch Off.

For others, the killswitch can be deactivated on jailbroken iPhones using SBSettings. You can install SBSettings in Cydia. To disable the killswitch, Launch SBSettings and press the More button and "Extra & Options", then slide "Apple Killswitch" to OFF.
    "When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did...not kicking and screaming like the passengers in his car." -- Unknown