+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone n00b

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Before you go argh n00b! I've been out of touch with any recent phone for at least 6years (old phone still works fine) but i think its going to die
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Red face iPhone n00b
    Before you go argh n00b!

I've been out of touch with any recent phone for at least 6years (old phone still works fine) but i think its going to die soon so its a good reason to upgrade.

I live in New Zealand, and have a mate in the USA thats going to buy me a iPhone and send it over.

Issue 1: Not wanting this to be a waste of time to get the phone sent over and find that its got the lastest firmware 3.1.3 MC?!? and find that i cant unlock/jailbreak it? How do i get them to find out what it has without purchasing the phone?

Any links to any article that would take me from n00b to actually having some knowledge of what il need to do (if it isnt the latest updated version) once phone arrives to make it work on NZ local networks Telecom or Vodafone.

I noticed that there was several different tools do i need to use them all? Is one better than others?

Thanks in advance for anyhelp given

Livin the iPhone Life screamforme02's Avatar
    Thanks

you prob wont be able to unlock it, but if you buy one from europe you may not need to
    Hey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!

Thanks

Buy a factory unlocked iPhone. You'll be kicking yourself if you don't and just rely on unreliable unlocks that disappear with updates. Just look around here at all the people the screwed themselves up because the relied on an unlock and "acidently" updated.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

can you not re unlock a phone?

how do i tell the phone is unlocked before purchasing it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

The devs have to make new unlocks for the new basebands, which is not always quick to find. I am also =1 for finding an factory unlocked one as you will not have to worry about losing the unlock with each update.

Thanks

Factory unlocked iPhones are very often a lot of money (even read on the dev-team blog, "this is if you paid $$$$$ for your iPhone" haha), but if you can afford them, they're totally worth it. On eBay you'll often see them listed as "LEGALLY UNLOCKED" even though all unlocking is legal. They actually come from Italy because many of their customers prefer pay-as-you-go and highly flexible cell plans.

Quote Originally Posted by GuessX View Post
    can you not re unlock a phone?

how do i tell the phone is unlocked before purchasing it?
    It's all very up-in-the-air. Unlocks (other than factory unlocks) rely on bugs in the iPhone's software that are VERY often patched by Apple in new iPhone updates. Unfortunately, you can't tell if it is unlockable before you buy it if you plan on buying from the store. You can, however, check the serial numbers to find out (I forget what to look for, google it), but all 2Gs and 3Gs are currently jailbreakable and unlockable.

Oh yeah, and @Tiger92, I lol'd at your avatar. =D
    Last edited by n00neimp0rtant; 03-22-2010 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Apple I now starting to sell unlocked iPhones in the US. Check the news section for details.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger92 View Post
    Apple I now starting to sell unlocked iPhones in the US. Check the news section for details.
    [sigh]...no, they aren't. Someone messed up and got their sources wrong. Look at the documents that have the "internal details." They're only selling sans contract, not unlocked.