Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.
03-22-2010, 12:01 AM #1power button repair or bypass on 2g
Any one had any luck repairing (not replacing) the actual power button on a 2g? Has anyone dissected the actual switch buried in the ribbon and know how it functions?
Can it be bypassed by shorting the traces to the button?
I don't care if it doesn't work in general, I just need it to jailbreak...
03-22-2010, 12:04 AM #2
Try an electronics cleaner like DeoxIt D5. I've had great results with it.
03-23-2010, 09:14 AM #3
Cleaning the switch worked like a charm. And piece of cake once you get the phone open -only 4 screws to pull.
1) Pull antenna cover
2) Remove 3 screws holding back cover in place
3) Remove back cover (I had the hardest time with this)
4) Tease ribbon connecting the front and back off the phone board
5) remove #000 screws holding switch in place
6) Tease the ribbon adhesive off phone & button off the switch (picture 1)
7) Tease one end of clear plastic adhesive off the end of the ribbon, separating two halves of the switch (picture 2)
8) Clean both laves of the switch -I used a Q-tip dipped in alcohol.
9) Let it dry, put everything back together
03-23-2010, 11:15 AM #4
Just be careful using alcohol, it can be tough on some of the materials in the iPhone
03-23-2010, 06:33 PM #5
If you wanna thank me hit "Thanks" in the lower left of my post. If you would like to follow me on twitter click here
03-23-2010, 08:52 PM #6
a replacement would seem to be the easiest and cleanest ways to go about some thing like that. my honest opinion. or just a new phone. just me maybe im no guru in the take apart and fix. although i have done it a few timesHey! A Restore Never Hurts It's True!
03-23-2010, 11:59 PM #7
Why would you replace something if it just needs cleaned?