+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Factory unlocked 3GS .VS. old Bootrom 3GS

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello guys, U have to know that I need an unlock where I live now... which one will you buy and why ? - An iPhone 3GS Factory Unlocked but
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question Factory unlocked 3GS .VS. old Bootrom 3GS
    Hello guys,

U have to know that I need an unlock where I live now...

which one will you buy and why ?

- An iPhone 3GS Factory Unlocked but with new bootrom.. (so it has to be plugged to a computer every time it's turned off)

OR

- An iPhone 3GS with the old bootrom (but NOT factory unlocked).

Basically the two are the same price.. I'm confused and I need some tips from you...

EDIT: Both are on 3.1.2

Thank you guys...
    Last edited by Bahrovski; 03-21-2010 at 12:37 PM.

Thanks

Depends what firmware they have on them.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
    Depends what firmware they have on them.
    I edited my post... Thanks

iPhone? More like MyPhone after_burners's Avatar
    Thanks

I'd have the old boot rom tethered is pain always trying to find somewhere to keep the phone charged

Thanks

That's tough. Old bootrom.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bahrovski View Post
    Hello guys,

U have to know that I need an unlock where I live now...

which one will you buy and why ?

- An iPhone 3GS Factory Unlocked but with new bootrom.. (so it has to be plugged to a computer every time it's turned off)

OR

- An iPhone 3GS with the old bootrom (but NOT factory unlocked).

Basically the two are the same price.. I'm confused and I need some tips from you...

EDIT: Both are on 3.1.2

Thank you guys...
    If you're having trouble deciding, read what you said...

You need an unlock? Go for Factory. You don't NEED a jailbreak. A unlocked non-jb iPhone is better than one that is locked and unjailbroken.

Tethered jailbreaks aren't bad at all. I have the old bootrom, but I haven't rebooted my iPhone in almost a month!

Green Apple
    Thanks

i disagree with shadow on quote "A unlocked non-jb iPhone is better than one that is locked and unjailbroken"
    what if you want cydia app features, you can still hack unlock the old bootrom phone as long as the baseband is 5.11.07 or lower, its not difficult.

think of it this way.....

choose the old bootrom if you do plan to jailbreak and if you can get it factory unlocked through your network after purchase.
    choose the new bootrom pre factory unlocked iphone if you can't get your iphone factory unlocked through your network after purchase and you dont plan to jailbreak

if you cant get your iphone factory unlocked through your network BUT you do want to jailbreak, it is then a choice on whether you want:
    an old bootrom with untethered reboot and a hack unlock, or
    a new bootrom with a tethered jailbreak and a factory unlock

*factory unlocks are always better than hack unlocks cause you dont have to worry about keeping the baseband on new FW jailbreaks, but an untethered reboot is always better than tethered if you are jailbreaking.)

(in australia you can get any phone factory unlocked through your network provider, but i dont know about other countries)
    Last edited by Remember God; 03-22-2010 at 03:52 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Old bootrom for sure.

Stick to custom firmwares and you'll have jailbreak and unlock secured forever. The only way you can lose it is if you mess it up yourself.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

Bahrovski (03-24-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Great posts guys... I really appreciate your help...

@"Remember God": That's my case:

Quote Originally Posted by Remember God View Post
    if you cant get your iphone factory unlocked through your network BUT you do want to jailbreak, it is then a choice on whether you want:
    an old bootrom with untethered reboot and a hack unlock, or
    a new bootrom with a tethered jailbreak and a factory unlock
    I am biased towards the old bootrom 3GS:
    -first of all: I'll be jailbreaking anyways (cant live without cydia.. :P)
    -Second: I am an iPhone owner since the first one rolled out and never made mistakes by updating to non hacked firmwares.. The reason why I'd go with the factory unlocked one is because I heard some horror stories of broken WiFi after using Blacksn0w..(can someone enlighten me on this issue..) and I also heard about GPS problems...
    -finally and most importantly I prefer having an untethered jailbreak..

@shadow25: Of course by getting the factory unlocked one I'll be 100% sure that my iPhone will always be usable, plus it will spare me from the possibility of having Wifi and GPS issues after unlocking... But the fact that it's a tethered jailbreak makes me uncomfortable...

Do you guys think that there will be a solution for the tethered jailbreak once the new iPhone is released in June ??? And what do you think about the iDongle ?

Thank you all...

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Well, your phone would also always be usable with old bootrom. If all goes wrong, restore to CFW.

As for blacksn0w, I've seen some "rumors" that a new version will be available soon that fixes the wifi problem.

Never heard of the GPS issues.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

Bahrovski (03-24-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've seen fixes for both wifi and gps problems that people have posted on either this or other websites, just search around.
    If I was buying right now... I would go for the old bootrom for simple fact of dhamien's u can custom fw ever time easily if anything goes wrong, you with new bootrom u can only use blackra1n jailbreak.
    If your in no rush to get the iPhone then wait a few more months and see wha happens with the new FW and possible new jailbreaks, they may have fixes for the tether.
    I've had both the oldbootrom iPhone ( it was killed by a faulty external battery case, got the life energy sucked right out of it) and I just got replaced unfortunately b the new bootrom.
    So simple thin s if u get the new bootrom get a quality battery case for it so you never need to reboot, I have the imp550 which is really good 5500mah, a little on the chunky side but I'll never have the iPhone lose all power)
    the tether thing can be annoying but is barable, If there becomes no fix for the tether ever the idongle is a Godsend!!!!!!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Well, your phone would also always be usable with old bootrom. If all goes wrong, restore to CFW.
    I meant my iPhone will always be unlocked* if I go with the factory unlocked one...

@Remember God: I'm in a hurry to buy the 3GS coz I sold my 3G (it had broken WiFi -hardware issue- and I'm using a Nokia 6600 So I'm gonna get the iPhone as soon as I can.. Its just hard to press buttons after using iPhone's Touchscreen ... BTW I never thought about the battery case!! gr8 idea.. and sorry to hear about your old 3GS..

But the battery case will solve one of the tethered jailbreak problems... the one that worries me most is crashing... How often does a 3GS crash?? (My 3G crashes a lot when I run apps like Backgrounder, ProSwitcher, Winterboard...) Will this happen to a 3GS ??? Or will the 3GS's extra juice keeps me safe ??

I Really appreciate your tips guys.. I'm getting more biased towards the old bootrom every time I read you posts... Like "dhamien" said: "Stick to custom firmwares and you'll have jailbreak and unlock secured forever."

Green Apple
    Thanks

I've only had the new 3gs crash once, and I originally had an Internet tethering problem ( not reboot tether) but worked out it my situation wad actually the tethering toggle addon for sbsettings causing it, but other people issues with wifi and tethering etc seems to be directly from blacksnow, just no all of people problems com from that.
    The thing with old bootrom non factory unlock is that you possibly may have problems with the blacksnow hack, losing Bluetooth wifi gps hassles ... possibly... And u always have to be careful about new jailbreaks, keeping BB etc Where as the newbootrom factory unlock u don't need to ever worry about that. But for now u have the tether reboot but it Ma possibly change, possibly.
    Hahahahahahah sorry it's an interesting curnundrum ur in. If ur happy with the hack unlock go with the old and take ur chances on fixing possible gps wifi Net tether issues. If u really want factory unlock go for new bootrom and pray the tether thing will be fixed next JB or that the idongle goes world wide soon.
    Newbootrom ain't tha bad
    and hack unlock issues can be a hassle and extremely frustrating but should be fixable if u research good

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Remember God For This Useful Post:

Bahrovski (03-24-2010)

Thanks

+1 for the iDongle, i dont really need one but im totally buying one,,, might hop over to France and pick one up lmao! Channel Tunnel FTW!!!!
    If I've helped you remember to say