+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: dumb luck

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
ok, so i bought a used iphone 2g back in november for $50. i managed to jailbreak and unlock it using blackra1n and was enjoying free calls using the vonage
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default dumb luck
    ok, so i bought a used iphone 2g back in november for $50. i managed to jailbreak and unlock it using blackra1n and was enjoying free calls using the vonage mobile app after buying a $15 goPhone sim card at the ATT store. however, i noticed that the device kept dropping wifi and i suspected that after 2 years, the battery wasn't as "virile" as it had once been. so i talked to a kid at the apple store to find out how to replace the battery. he told me that they don't replace batteries for the iphone 2g but that for 80 bucks they would just give me a new phone. after some reluctance (i didn't want to restore my iphone) i activated (apple won't even look at them if they aren't activated) the phone and took it into the genius who confirmed (does that make ME a genius-lol) my suspicion about the battery. he then checked the serial code and found out that there were 63 days of apple care left on the device. so guess what? i got a "new" (or rather reconditioned) iphone for free! woohoo.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

nice

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.

Green Apple
    Thanks
    thanks. i have a sprint phone, so i don't plan to keep the att service. if you drop within 3 days, they will even waive the activation fee and since i have my own phone--NO CONTRACT!

on another note, the new phone will have 3.1.3 most likely. any suggestions (advice, etc.) on downgrading to 3.1.2 for the jb/ul process?
    Last edited by quicknight; 03-14-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    are 3,1.3 jailbreaks reliable now?

Ok, i just looked at your link...looks legit. i will give it a try!
    Last edited by quicknight; 03-17-2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks
    it worked great. I've got a tmobile prepaid sim and free (limited) edge--cnn.com and espn.com, basically--but the vonage mobile is the best deal. i'm set with pda phones for a while...

Thanks

Looks like lucks on ur side

Thanks

Is the phone they are giving you a 2g?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    yes, they just replaced it with the same phone. should I have gotten an upgrade??

Quote Originally Posted by battlecrushr View Post
    Looks like lucks on ur side
    so it would seem!
    Last edited by quicknight; 03-26-2010 at 08:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

T-Mobile has pre-paid? I'mma have to look into that once I get my 2G's screen fixed. I definitely wouldn't use it enough to warrant a contact, so pre-paid T-Mobile would be perfect for it.

Thanks

oh if it was a 2g then u can always jailbreak and unlock

Please know we are praying Kyle (poetic_folly) and Robyn Matthews for your little one.
    You too blkcadi
    Thank You.