+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPHONE DOWN, iPHONE DOWN!!

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys, I have a MASSIVE problem. First off I will give you a detail or two about my phone. It's jailbroken on 3.1.2 I use app sync and have
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Exclamation iPHONE DOWN, iPHONE DOWN!!
    Hey guys, I have a MASSIVE problem. First off I will give you a detail or two about my phone. It's jailbroken on 3.1.2 I use app sync and have a the ModMyi theme installed. Now on to my story. Yesterday my phone was going low on battery at about 20% and I was using it with SimplifyMedia to listen to music and NBA league pass checking a game score. Well I got done and put it back in my pocket. I pulled it out about an hour later to find out it had died "so I thought". I waited a couple more hours then plugged it in to my car and waited for the apple logo...and waited, and waited some more. NOTHING So I got home and plugged it in to the wall charger, held all the buttons and what not and NOTHING, plugged it in to my laptop to see if iTunes would boot it, NOTHING! I have no idea what happened but I can't get it to power up! I am scared to take it to Apple since it's jailbroken but is that just what I should do? Now I'm using my Razr...I MISS MY iPHONE!! haha

Thanks

did you try holding down both the power and home button at the same time? I had a friend's ipod freeze up on me while I was jailbreaking it and i had to hold down the power and home button for about ten seconds to get it to boot. It would be your best bet. lmk what happens
    If you cant get it to boot, chances are apple can't either, so I would try to get it to boot on my own but if I couldn't I would take it to apple because if they can't they will give you a new one.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 03-08-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Twitter: @tshoults

Drinks the Kool Aid Captinsmooth's Avatar
    Thanks

What model iphone is it? Is this the first time the phone has turned off or been restarted since the jailbreak? Because you may have a tethered jailbreak. If so you need to plug the phone into your pc and run the blackrain jailbreak program to help it boot back up.

Thanks

^or Redsn0w. I would use redsn0w over blackra1n because it doesn't tend to had problems. But I think he can't even get it to charge.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Hey Ya, holding the home and power don't work and all that. It's a 3Gs and I can't get it to charge. Not a single LED light on inside my screen at all. I am going to try and plug it in and run Blackra1n and see how that goes but it's just dead. Super weird. It has been on and off plenty since the jailbreak it's been jailbroken since I got it and has died a couple times and I just plug it in and the apple logo comes back up but this time, nothing

Thanks

If you have restarted it since the jailbreak and it booted without any help its not tethered. Your phone could have bricked. You can try putting it in DFU mode while Itunes is opened on your pc and see if it ask for a restore.

Also your battery may have just died, lithium Ion batteries are known to just die completely when they go bad.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I can't put it in DFU mode because iTunes won't recognize it because it is not getting any power to it? I was thinking it may have bricked but I don't want to say that's it quite yet

Thanks

How long did you hold down the home and power buttons for? try doing that while plugged into a good usb port.
    Last edited by moon#pie; 03-08-2010 at 12:49 PM. Reason: I kan speellsz!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Casetay View Post
    I can't put it in DFU mode because iTunes won't recognize it because it is not getting any power to it? I was thinking it may have bricked but I don't want to say that's it quite yet

Just to be clear here itunes doesnt need to see it to put it in dfu mode, you just have it plugged into itunes so when / if it does enter dfu mode you will know it.

So did you try to put it in DFU while plugged into your computer with itunes opened? It is worth a try. If it is bricked or just locked up it may not respond to being charged. But as soon as it enters dfu itunes will recognize it.

At this point it is your only option to try, before getting it serviced. Good luck.
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 03-08-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

ya, no luck holding the power and home button even with it plugged in to iTunes. I can't get it in DFU mode either. Even when I run Blackra1n it just says "waiting for device" and that usually works when an iphone is messed up. Looks like I'll be heading to apple soon hope I don't get in trouble for having it jailbroken

Thanks

Before you do any restoring...have you plugged it in to the charger and let it charge for a while? iPhones, when completely dead, take a while before it will power on unless you do a hard reset.

Thanks

^ but an image appears on the screen in that case. Try it anyway thought. If you can't get it going, chances are apple can't either. You will probably end up with a new one.

Thanks

Well hopefully if it is bricked they won't know you jailbroke it. They will just replace it. If your battery is just dead and they replace the battery and turn it on and see that it is jailbroken, then they will void your warranty if you have one and charge you for the repair.

If its not under warranty there is nothing they can do or say about the jailbreak. So you don't need to worry about getting in trouble. You just need to worry about it costing you money.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger92 View Post
    ^ but an image appears on the screen in that case. Try it anyway thought. If you can't get it going, chances are apple can't either. You will probably end up with a new one.

Not if it is completely dead, it takes 5 to 10 minutes sometimes before it turns back on. Or shows a battery icon.
    Last edited by Captinsmooth; 03-08-2010 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

^ Ya I let it sit on the charger all night and still nothing.

Thanks

Have you tried a different cable? Keep trying. Even if you take it to apple and they get it to boot and see that is JB, they can't take it from you. They will void your warranty, and if they replace the battery, it's like $80 or something like that.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Green Apple
    Thanks

ANSWER! : Took it to a iPhone repair store and they couldn't get it to power on even with a test back. The only solution is to take it to Apple because it is a hardware failure in which case they will replace it for free and never know it was jailbroken. Thanks for all the solutions and hope this helps someone else in case their iPhone just craps out. TAKE CARE EVERYBODY!

Thanks

Good! Now you have a brand spanking new phone!