+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Learn to patch/jailbreak iPhone OS

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi Well I have no idea if this is the right section to ask, but I'm really interested to learn 'the art of jailbreaking' iDevices. I know it's really complicated
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Learn to patch/jailbreak iPhone OS
    Hi
    Well I have no idea if this is the right section to ask, but I'm really interested to learn 'the art of jailbreaking' iDevices. I know it's really complicated and I wont be able to learn it in weeks, but hell, even if it takes a few years, I'm willing to learn! I really want to get into this Reverse Engineering stuff. A couple of years ago, I did used to do some basic Reverse Engineering stuff, but that was mainly windows programs using stuff like Ollydbg and that.. (I had to quit because of lack of time due to collage, so I forgot more or less everything I knew back then.)

This is the iPhone OS we are talking about, I really would love to learn more about it. I really would love to learn how to find and patch those 'bugs' out of Apple's firmware. I know what to expect, how complicated it is and all that, but I am willing to try again, but this time, with something 'more serious'.

I just need a few nice starter tutorials/resources/links/forums and I will be able to walk the long way all by myself. I just need someone to help me get started. If anyone knows that best way to start, please do let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Anyone please? :/
    Last edited by jdys_1991; 03-03-2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

ummm, well it depends, i would suggest learning the process of jailbreaking...but anywayz, theres a wiki page here with info, then theres iclarified (which has what we have) thats should start u off....but buy an iDevice first lol
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Do you know anything about linux and programming? How far advanced are you at the moment or are you starting from scratch?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by z3r01 View Post
    ummm, well it depends, i would suggest learning the process of jailbreaking...but anywayz, theres a wiki page here with info, then theres iclarified (which has what we have) thats should start u off....but buy an iDevice first lol
    I dont think you really understand what I mean. I dont want to use programs such as pwnage tool, blacksn0w, redsn0w etc to jailbreak, I want to learn to jailbreak MYSELF. I want to create such applications. I dont want to rely on other people.
    Give a person a fish a day, and he'll be happy for that day.
    Teach him to catch fishes himself, and he'll be happy for the rest of his life.

Hope you understand me now.
    Oh and I do have an iPhone 3GS.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Do you know anything about linux and programming? How far advanced are you at the moment or are you starting from scratch?
    I dont really know much about linux. Never really looked into it in great depth. I'm at uni, first year, and studying a degree in Computer Games Programming, so I just got started with that (about 6 months ago now).
    I do have some experience on windows based reverse engineering, but basically, for the sake of it, you could say I'm starting from scratch..

Do you know any good place where I should start from?
    I'd really appreciate if you could help me out.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Main Page - The iPhone Wiki

That's your one stop shop. contact the devs that post info there for in depth feed back.
    Last edited by Poseidon79; 03-03-2010 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Main Page - The iPhone Wiki

That's your one stop shop. contact the devs that post info there for in depth feed back.
    Right. I did have a look at that before posting this topic. I did have a look at those sections. However they only provide you with information, they dont really explain to a newb, in-depth to actually learn and find such exploits/security holes yourself. Or even how to dump stuff like baseband/firmware and all that stuff.. I would love to start off with something like a tutorial for newbs, which goes through the very basics of RE on the iPhone..

Thanks

Any more suggestions? :/

Thanks

i would start on learning linux and the tools needed to familiarize urself first...then learn the art...learn to crawl b4 walking
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

You should tear apart a jailbreak software and see how the guts work. We understand that you want to do it yourself, but that would be a great place to start to see how things work.