Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: What would you do?

Default What would you do?
    Hi all. I just wanted your opinion on something.
    I have a 3gs old iboot and I have recently noticed a piece of dirt/dust under my screen. My warranty runs out in July.
    Would you wait till June/July and take it back for a replacement or would you return it now.
    It doesn't realy bug me but every now and again I can see it. I know it's not a bad pixel cause as I tilt my phone it moves.
    I know I I take it back for replacement I will be given a phone with the new iboot and don't like the thought of re-jailbreaking after every restart. I also think there/hope there will be an untethered jailbreak by June/July.
    So my question to you is what would you do?

Would you take it back now or wait till june/July?
    Last edited by Maxswaby; 02-27-2010 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 10,199 Times in 6,210 Posts

If an un-lock is not needed you should be fine if you get a phone with the new baseband, still can be jailbroken.

No I'm on a
    legit carrier (02-Uk) so I don't need the unlock it's just I don't think I could live with a tethered jailbreak cause I download apps all the time and a restart is needed and I'm not always near my pc. I wish someone could make a portable plug in adapter that allows reboot. . Can't wait for 3.2/4.0 so the suposed untethered jailbreak can be released and I can get my new not dirty phone as this dust when playing some games does get annoying.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

You might as well wait, at least you know what you have now. Unteathered ! You have the same warranty till then.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

If you get a new phone, you wouldn't be able to jailbreak it. So I wouldn't do it if I were you.

Also, they might not release untethered when 3.2 is out, but will likely wait until the next gen phone is released.

I am in the same kinda boat. I plan on taking mine back the day the a new jaibreak is released. I plan this because that way I still get a refurb that can be jailbroken before they can do anything. I have dust under my screen. I just noticed another too . I feel like one of the teams will have something come 4.0 release.

I say take it back, cause soon 4.0 is coming out, and expect a rather quick jailbreak for that (hopefully untethered) and to correct the guy above me, you can still jailbreak, just no unlock (which you don't need)

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raptors View Post
    I say take it back, cause soon 4.0 is coming out, and expect a rather quick jailbreak for that (hopefully untethered) and to correct the guy above me, you can still jailbreak, just no unlock (which you don't need)
    How would you jailbreak? It's a 3GS. If he gets back a refurb, no SHSHs are stored and the phone would likely be on 3.1.3

I'm really curious since now two people who know what they're talking about have disagreed with me.

Thanks

I am in the same boat. I am just living with it until about the end of May, when im going to be selling the phone to raise funds for the new iPhone in June/July.

It's not worth the hassle of a tethered jailbreak for the last few months i've got the phone when im going to be selling it anyway. Selling it in May/June means it is still under warranty - the new buyer could take it back to Apple themselves for a replacement if they felt fit.
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

OP- Why don't you just disassemble the phone and clean the dust out?
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    OP- Why don't you just disassemble the phone and clean the dust out?
    Touché

Thanks

I would definitely just pop the top and blow the dust out. It's not like you have to break the warranty sticker to do it.

So I just remove the screws and the screen pops off? I am an engineer so I am good with my hands. If anyone could post a link or give me step by step instructions it would be greatly appreciated.

^where is the warranty sticker?

Thanks

No, the screen won't just open right up when you take the screws out. There are a bunch of guides here and on YouTube. Just make sure you use the suction cup method to open it. Do not pry the poor thing open. The warranty sticker is on the bottom right corner of ghe logic board. It covers a screw. You won't have to get anywhere near it to remove the screen.

I have a guide posted in the guides section. Click on Guides on the top of this page and then click hardware on the right.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Thank you all for your input. I will have a read through and see if I feel comfortable doing it. I'll let you know what I decide to do.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Unless it's a big piece of dirt (one that covers several pixels) I wouldn't worry about it. Mine has dust under the glass, but I would much rather put up with having a little imperfection and total freedom than to have a clean screen and have to deal with a tethered jailbreak

I hear ya, but my OCD sometimes gets the best of me .

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

I would deal with a crack in the screen before a tethered jailbreak

Take it apart lol!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast