+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Syncing Unlocked & Jailbroken iPhone in iTunes

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. I have question regarding syncing my iPhone 3Gs in the latest version of iTunes. I purchased this iPhone from my friend and I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Syncing Unlocked & Jailbroken iPhone in iTunes
    Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum. I have question regarding syncing my iPhone 3Gs in the latest version of iTunes.

I purchased this iPhone from my friend and I unlocked and jailbroke myself. It's on firmware 3.1.2 and baseband 05.11.07. My problem is when I go into iTunes I can't add any music to my iPhone because iTunes gives me a message indicating that this iPhone is synced to different iTunes Library on a different computer. It then asks me if I want to erase and sync with the iTunes Library on my Mac.

My question is if I go ahead and confirm to erase and sync with my iTunes Library, will the sync somehow force a 'software update' as well? I would hate for my phone to get locked again by doing sync if the sync somehow forces the software update to 3.1.3 05.12.01, which I understand has no solution at the moment to unlock.

Thanks in advance.

Livin the iPhone Life CaptainChaos's Avatar
    Thanks

It should tell you that a new software version is available and ask if you want to download it, download and install, or cancel. Check the box that says Do Not Ask Again and select cancel. It won't bother you again until a new firmware comes out at which time you repeat the above process. It is safe to sync it to your iTunes.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainChaos For This Useful Post:

3GsMod (02-24-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    You can go ahead and sync with the iTunes Library, it won't update you iPhone to 3.1.3 unless it prompts you to download and install the new firmware and you confirm it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gtimus For This Useful Post:

3GsMod (02-24-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Ok thank you for putting my mind at ease a bit. Just an additional question...when the prompt asks if I want to "erase" and sync, what does "erase" actually mean? Will it erase anything as far as the software I've added to Unlock and Jailbrrake the phone? Thanks again.

Can anyone confirm my last question before I go ahead with the 'erase and sync' in iTunes? Thank you.
    Last edited by 3GsMod; 02-24-2010 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

iPhone? More like MyPhone MikeT674's Avatar
    Thanks

erase and sync will only erase music, photos, calender and applications that you got through itunes it does not touch any jailbreak apps. because you can only sync you iphone with one itunes library at once without any mods.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MikeT674 For This Useful Post:

3GsMod (02-25-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Great! Thanks for the help everyone. Did the 'erase and sync' today and all is good.