Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Boot Rom question

Default Boot Rom question
    I recently bought an iPhone 3GS. It has model # MC***** and serial number 32949******

I took this to mean I had the new bootrom, which requires a tethered JB with B.Rain.

So tonight, I had to restart the phone. And it restarted without being tethered. I thought I had done something weird, so I did it again.

Hold down the button up top until the slide appears. Slide right. Watch spinning wheel. Screen goes black.

Start it back up by holding the top button again, and sure enough, back to running and I never hooked it up to the computer.

I'm baffled.

Did I not shut it down properly? Is there another way to do it?

Is there a chance I have the old boot rom even with a week 49er? Or what am I missing?

Yes, I am sure I am still jailbroke, I can see the X theme I have installed and I just got off Cydia.

Ideas? Thoughts?

I am going to sleep now, I will ponder this more in the morning!

iPhone? More like MyPhone MikeT674's Avatar
    Thanks

weird....you have an elite 3gs.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT674 View Post
    weird....you have an elite 3gs.
    Someone suggested (off-line) that I have a 3g and not a 3gs, but I can take video, so I'm pretty sure it's a 3gs (and that's what the box says it is). While it would be cool to have an odd 3gs, I rather suspect there is something I am missing, and I am just not smart enough with this device/process to know what it is , which is why I am hoping someone here can help me figure it out.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Maybe it's a refurb.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

BumbleBeez (02-19-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    Maybe it's a refurb.
    Actually, yes it is.

But wouldn't the boot rom have been upgraded when it was refurbished and got the week 49 serial number and MC model number?

Or are boot rom's not upgradeable??

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBeez View Post
    Actually, yes it is.

But wouldn't the boot rom have been upgraded when it was refurbished and got the week 49 serial number and MC model number?

Or are boot rom's not upgradeable??
    The bootrom isn't upgradable. It's a physical chip inside the phone.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

BumbleBeez (02-19-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by dhamien View Post
    The bootrom isn't upgradable. It's a physical chip inside the phone.
    I didn't know that! Thanks for the info

So, what does this mean for me now, in terms of restoring if I should ever need to? I don't have 3.1.2 ecid/shsh on file @ cydia (they had stopped signing 3.1.2 before I got the phone). But with the old bootrom, can I restore to a custom 3.1.2 following any one of the many tutorials available if I should ever need to (knock on wood it will never be an issue)?

I am reading as many guides/tutorials/posts as fast as I can here!! I am not quite as efficient using the search function here yet

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BumbleBeez View Post
    I didn't know that! Thanks for the info

So, what does this mean for me now, in terms of restoring if I should ever need to? I don't have 3.1.2 ecid/shsh on file @ cydia (they had stopped signing 3.1.2 before I got the phone). But with the old bootrom, can I restore to a custom 3.1.2 following any one of the many tutorials available if I should ever need to (knock on wood it will never be an issue)?

I am reading as many guides/tutorials/posts as fast as I can here!! I am not quite as efficient using the search function here yet
    =)

I'm assuming you're jailbroken on 3.1.2 now. The old bootrom does give you a little protection because if you ever get stuck and need to restore to get your phone working again, you can use a custom firmware made with either pwnagetool or sn0wbreeze (I personally recommend pwnagetool). This is something people with the new bootrom can't do because custom firmwares don't work for them.

You'll never be able to go to 3.1.2 again since you don't have the SHSH file for that version but you don't really need to either. You can simply restore to a custom firmware of the current version, which would be 3.1.3 if you were to do it now.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to dhamien For This Useful Post:

BumbleBeez (02-20-2010)

What are the last 3 digits of your serial?
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    What are the last 3 digits of your serial?
    3NP

Is there a system for the last 3 digits too?

Yes, it tells me that you have a 16gb 3GS. I wanted to verify that you had the 3GS and not a 3G

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

BumbleBeez (02-20-2010)

I have a 3GS, MC model and week 44, jailbroken with blackra1n untethered. This serial number guide can't be all that accurate.

Thanks

If it was a refurb the second digit should be a letter not a number.
    It's not 100% accurate but it's a quick way to tell.
    I don't think it's possible for apple to change their entire assembly line in one week.
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

We know that apple starte shipping the 3GS with the new bootrom in the 40th week. There are mixed bootroms in weeks 40-44. After week 44 almost every iPhone has the new bootrom with the exception of some refurbished devices

I am just going to count myself among the few and lucky! Week 49 refurb with old bootloader! Sometimes I just get lucky. Not often mind you, so I will take it when I can get it!

A serial number beginning with "5K" on a 3GS doesn't necessarily mean the device has been refurbished, just that it is an official replacement from Apple.

Thanks

^No. It means it has been refurbished.
    Ever wonder where the replacement phones come from?
    I always feel sorry for the guy in the iPhone commercials. He always gets a call right in the middle of trying to do something

My girlfriend took her white 3GS to a Genius bar because the case had started to crack near the silent switch. The guy replaced it with one from a plain white box insisting that it was brand new, unused. This was 6 weeks after the launch of the 3GS. I doubt they would have had many refurbs so early on. And believe me, it was in pristine condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Anfloyd View Post
    A serial number beginning with "5K" on a 3GS doesn't necessarily mean the device has been refurbished, just that it is an official replacement from Apple.
    Yes it does. A refurbished phone carriers a letter as the second digit always.

Quote Originally Posted by Anfloyd View Post
    My girlfriend took her white 3GS to a Genius bar because the case had started to crack near the silent switch. The guy replaced it with one from a plain white box insisting that it was brand new, unused. This was 6 weeks after the launch of the 3GS. I doubt they would have had many refurbs so early on. And believe me, it was in pristine condition.
    If you bring any iPhone to the genius bar or Apple care within 30 days of purchase, it is required that your phone is replaced with a new phone. At this point, you are not dispensing a warranty replacement but an exchange within the 30 day purchase period. However, any phone in a plain white box is an official replacement from Apple Care. I would check the serial number on the phone. When a customer gets an iPhone exchanged within the 30 day period it comes in a brand new box with all accessories, just like the day you purchased the phone.
    Last edited by Melech518; 02-21-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Yes it does. A refurbished phone carriers a letter as the second digit always.
    Then where does mine fit it? I'm sure it's a 3GS. My second digit is a 2, 4th and 5th are 4 and 9, model number MC. It's a refurb, at least according to the box it came in (and why would anyone put a new phone in a refurb box?). It has the old iBoot, as I can restart untethered.

I'm not complaining, just trying to understand!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast