+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Disable EDGE/ 3g

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I have a 3G v3.1.3 iphone. I want to disable the edge/3G radio so my wife can use my iPhone without a data plan and pay for data charges. Whats
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Disable EDGE/ 3g
    I have a 3G v3.1.3 iphone. I want to disable the edge/3G radio so my wife can use my iPhone without a data plan and pay for data charges.

Whats the safest , easiest way to accomplish this?

I want to just plugin her sim card from her Motorola flip phone and let her make calls.

Is an APN profile reliable or do I need something like SBSettings to accomplish this.

Thanks

There's a sbsettings toggle called 'Data Toggle' in Cydia. It's on the bigboss repo. I believe it's exactly what you're asking for.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

but would atnt send you a text message saying that you are using a iphone and make you sign up for the data plan? is there anyway to bypass this???

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

HOw do they know im using an iPhone? Do they do this?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

im not sure how they know, but if you go into your account online, they show you a picture of the phone your using. i bought a iphone from a private person which didnt require me to get a 2 year or data plan, but i think i have to get the data plan if i use the phone.. anyone know how to bypass this?!?!?!

Green Apple
    Thanks

Isn't that what hactivating is for?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

so if i hactivate, atnt wont know im using an iphone?

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by leekor12 View Post
    so if i hactivate, atnt wont know im using an iphone?
    Of course they will know and they will send you an SMS saying that you have no data plan.

The second you put an AT&T sim in a phone, AT&T knows what kind of phone you are using.

If you don't believe me, sign on to your online account after you make a call on an iPhone. The phone listed will show an iPhone. Now take the sim out and out it in a Blackberry or some other phone and then make a call. Login to the online account again and now it will show this other phone.

Hactivating only activates the phone, it won't stop AT&T from knowing what phone you are using.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

well, so far.. i switched from a lg shine to a iphone for about a week now and is still showing the shine... i guess im lucky... for now lol

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

So there is no way to block at&t from knowing you have an iPhone? Even with a 3rd party app?

Thanks

being from the UK im not lumbered with such issues, but,,
    its to do with yout celluler network settings pre built into your iPhone

back when i was an early iPhone Enthusiast and i bought a 2G i took my Tmobile SIM out of my MDA Pro (HTC Universal) and dropped it into the iPhone, Tmobile UK uses the same technology to monitor the IMEI code of the phone your using and your SIM cards Code as well, using this they can track what SIM is in what phone and show you a lovely picture on their online account info

AFAIK there should not be any problems with with dropping another AT&T sim card into the iPhone long as its unlocked,, but then again being from the UK and only slightly more intelligent then a wooden spoon I wouldent be too sure