Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Sim card recognised but no carrier signal

Default Sim card recognised but no carrier signal
    Hi all,

Hoping someone may've had the same experience as I'm now having. I have an iPhone 3G unlocked and Jailbroken with Black ra1n, running 3.1.2 firmware 05.11.07. I have just sold the phone on eBay and unfortunately the buyer has dropped the phone. Now for some reason the phone recognises the sim card is in the phone (ie. it will tell you in the Settings/About who the carrier is) but there is no signal whatsoever.

I have re-opened the phone and all seems to be in order except for the small brass pin (located next to the 'Do Not Remove screw) which tucks under/against the silver part that runs around the phone has cracked across where the screw does up and when I have removed the Logic Board this small piece has come away from the rest of the board.

Is this small brass pin thing touching the silver rim to form part of the aerial? Or is it not overly a necessary part as I have another iPhone where this pin has actually broken off yet the phone still works.

This pin is the only thing I can think of that is halting the phone from picking up a signal. Does anyone actually know what it is or have any other ideas of what I may try.

FYI I have checked the sim pins and they all appear to be intact although the ones under the silver tray are a little harder to see. Maybe I need to remove this and check closer (can this silver tray be removed?

Thanks heaps in advance
    Cheers
    David

iPhone? More like MyPhone andydlux's Avatar
    Thanks

hey there...

my grlfriend had the same issue phone is running perfect and shows carrier but had no signal bars whatsoever.. she didn`t really drop it though. it was wierd so we brought it to an apple repair shop it was a hardware issue and didn`t read the sim proper. i think the problem was the slot where u put the sim in but i didn`t really ask for details. the fixed the problem for a couple of bucks. so all u can do is go to a shop explain the issue and they will fix it cause i don`t think that it is a software issue u can solve by downloading software. hope that helped
    Last edited by andydlux; 02-06-2010 at 02:23 PM.

That brass pin should not affect the signal, it is a ground.
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

just2 (02-07-2010)

Thanks Melech,any idea why I might be receiving no signal (whatsoever)?

Sim card is recognised and tells you the service provider in Settings/General/About/Carrier. But under Settings/General/About/Network it tells me there is nothing, no service?

I have run another wire from the small pin on the antenna unit thingy (at the bottom of the phone in case this "grounding" was making a real good connection with no luck. Have even opened another iPhone (new and full working order) and tried using the whole black antenna and mic/speaker console etc (located at the bottom of the phone) and put that into the offending phone and still I get the message in the status indicator menu (top LHS) of "No Service". Honestly, this is driving me NUTS. I have pulled this phone apart so many times to try different ideas... all to no avail. SURELY someone else has experienced similar?

Cheers

iPhone? More like MyPhone andydlux's Avatar
    Thanks

i am no expert, but it really sounds identical to my girlfriends phone issue i mentioned earlier, my friend who is a mac and iphone freak tried everything over 2 days to fix it only to come to the conclusion that it is a hardware issue which only can be fixed by apple. so i brought it there and they fixed it no problem. so u should just go to the shop they help u won`t cost much. again i am not an expert and there might be a way to fix it without going to the shop but i don`t think so
    Last edited by andydlux; 02-07-2010 at 09:12 AM.

Have you attempted a restore yet to see if that corrects the issue? Make sure you restore to 3.1.2 and not 3.1.3. Also, verify the baseband is at 5.11.07. Try and see if the phone can receive a signal prior to JB with an official sim. If all else fails then it is a hardware issue and most likely something is damaged on the logic board.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Have you attempted a restore yet to see if that corrects the issue? Make sure you restore to 3.1.2 and not 3.1.3. Also, verify the baseband is at 5.11.07. Try and see if the phone can receive a signal prior to JB with an official sim. If all else fails then it is a hardware issue and most likely something is damaged on the logic board.
    Yes, I have tried a full restore (had done so prior to the release of 3.1.3), baseband is verified as 5.11.07, have restored all settings and network settings through the phone. Unfortunately as the phone wasn't mine prior to this I am unable to try an official sim. I'm guessing this is just a issue with something damaged on the logic board.

Might just end up relisting it on eBay with issues clearly stated, someone else may be able to rectify its problem.

Cheers and thanks for the help

I have a customer bringing in a phone with the same issues this week. After I see his, I will post back to what the solution is.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

just2 (02-08-2010)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dloc2 For This Useful Post:

just2 (02-08-2010)

^I stand corrected.