+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: weird wifi issues

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Here's the deal- The other guy that works the Apple dept. with me got an iphone as well. When we are at home of course we want to use the
    Thanks

Default weird wifi issues
    Here's the deal-

The other guy that works the Apple dept. with me got an iphone as well. When we are at home of course we want to use the wifi. I set my wireless network up on the phone and it displays a check next to it and the airport bar is all full. I can definitely tell that it is using the wifi for safari due to the obvious speed improvement.

Here is the catch. The edge logo still displays in the menu bar instead of the airport status icon. I know it is using the wifi because the youtube videos are not the crappy scaled down ones you get with the edge.

We are both using prepaid and the texts cost 15 cents a piece over EDGE. He uses it on his wifi and it is free. Except it charges me to send/recieve. The only time I ever see the airport status icon is when I am on a phone call.

Help? I don't consider myself tech retarded but maybe I am overlooking something here. I hope it is something stupid and simple. Any one got any ideas before I call those super geniuses at ATT?

Thanks

ATT has super geniuses? NOT!

Thanks

ya I really dont want to call them and waste my time. Here is another interesting tidbit, if i power it off and then back on; the airport icon briefly displays before going back to the edge logo. WTF

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

this seems to be a common problem, try changing the security settings of the router to wpa-psk [aes].

Thanks

I fooled with the router and got connected. I still don't get free text though. Can someone confirm the free texting while in a wifi hotspot?
    Last edited by spoofmymac; 07-12-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

No free text.

Official MMI Troll with an Attitude Digitol's Avatar
    Thanks

Pretty awesome! Although I must say, iphone is really the first phone I don't feel I need to mod. Ringtones being the minor exception.