Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 3GS stuck on critical charging screen

Default 3GS stuck on critical charging screen
    Info:

3GS 16Gb
    3.1.2 FW
    Jailbroken with blackra1n
    Vista PC

Problem: phone has been losing charge quickly for a couple of days. The last time it lost all charge and will not charge past the battery screen with the lightning bolt. Battery will not go over the red 10% mark.

Phone turned on once for a short period of time but cut off again and went back to the same black screen with the battery.

Phone responds to wall chargers and computer chargers.
    Phone is only recognized by computer in DFU mode.
    Phone immediately cuts off when removed from a power source.

Is this a hardware or software issue?

I would prefer not to restore through DFU mode because my wife has quite a bit of stuff that is only backed up through Chronus... which is not backed up on the computer. So a restore would cause her to lose everything.

All I need to do is get it to work for 5 min so I can SSH her backup files outa' there and then restore or take it to Apple

plz help ASAP!! EMERGENCY!!

tim
    Last edited by klouud; 01-16-2010 at 11:25 PM.

When the battery gets to low USB does not provide enough power. Have you left it plugged in with the original wall charger and cable?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

Quote Originally Posted by confucious View Post
    When the battery gets to low USB does not provide enough power. Have you left it plugged in with the original wall charger and cable?
    yes I have left it on various chargers for prolonged periods of tim.

when the phone magically worked for about 2 minutes it had a full charge showing on the status bar battery.

It doesn't sound good...

Have you tried SSHing in while it is showing no charge?
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

It doesn't sound good...

Have you tried SSHing in while it is showing no charge?
    yep - I get nothing

Have you tried a hard reset?

Have you tried a hard reset?
    dude really? Of course I did.

I need to know if this is a hardware or software issue - that will determine my next course of action.

You'd be surprised at the number of people that don't do the basics, such as backing up the phone....

I would think it's probably software but the only way you will find out for sure one way or the other is by restoring.

You'd be surprised at the number of people that don't do the basics, such as backing up the phone....

I would think it's probably software but the only way you will find out for sure one way or the other is by restoring.
    I guess I need to wait until monday. My buddy owns an unofficial apple store. He can take a look at the hardware to see if its the battery or the charger terminal.

If not... then I guess my wife will have to just lose her info...

thanx

tim

Good luck, hope it is something he can fix.

Had the same exact problem this morning. After about 7 times of going into DFU mode and switching between the wall charger and computer. Keep the phone off for as long as possible (holding home and power for 6 seconds). But if your phone is like mine, the charger will kick it back to the low battery icon.

After a while of cycling back and forth between computer and wall charger, I eventually got it to catch and stay on.

I had this problem once while I was out. I eventually got it back after some resets and hooked to the car charger. It happened again and I only got it come on after some time with the USB charger, and then it quickly died again. I never did get it back, after several attempts and googling information. I found multiple things to try, including, plugging it in to the usb and then rebooting the computer with it plugged in. There's plenty of stuff to try, but in the end, for me, I had to take it in to a Genius bar and the replaced it. Luckily, I got a refurb that did not have the new boot, so I was able to re-JB the phone and not have to tether it every time I reboot.

Here's the thread on the 3GS, maybe something could apply.

Help Please!
    Last edited by Crafty42; 01-04-2011 at 10:24 PM.

I had this problem after replacing a screen and digitiser. After opening it for another inspection, I realised there was a metal piece that connects the main board to the frame of the phone. Without that piece, it would only power up with either a USB lead or charger plugged in as there was no earth otherwise. Once it was reconnected it powered up fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_190 View Post
    I had this problem after replacing a screen and digitiser. After opening it for another inspection, I realised there was a metal piece that connects the main board to the frame of the phone. Without that piece, it would only power up with either a USB lead or charger plugged in as there was no earth otherwise. Once it was reconnected it powered up fine.
    Thanks for the help, useful to know but if he hasn't fixed it after 3 years....

Maybe for future reference then?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_190 View Post
    Maybe for future reference then?
    Like I said, it's certainly useful information, thank you.