+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help Please!

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
My phone was working just fine up until a few hours ago, it was off, but I know I had sufficient power left. I figured it just died, and plugged
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Unhappy Help Please!
    My phone was working just fine up until a few hours ago, it was off, but I know I had sufficient power left. I figured it just died, and plugged it into the USB. After awhile, it charged up and turned on. I got to 30-40% battery and unplugged it for a brief moment to take with me. It died in the next few minutes. So I plugged it back in. Now it says it is charging, but it won't turn on after some 30+ minutes. I've tried the USB and wall charging, but both just set there with the red battery and lightning bolt. I've tried doing a reset several times, but nothing is working. It will shut down after holding the two buttons in, but then just comes back up to the charging screen. If I try it unplugged, it doesn't do anything. If I can't get it to boot up or iTunes to recognize it, I can't do a restore and fear taking it in to apple will just mean they'll find it JBed and warranty voided... Any ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

You will need to force it into DFU mode and restore the phone. If it is indeed a 3GS like your info says, just unplug it from the computer, make sure it is powered down, wait 5 seconds, hold down the home button and plug it into the computer. Continue to hold the home button until you see the plug into itunes screen or iTunes recognizes your device in recovery mode. If that doesnt work you can also try the other process for DFU mode. How to Put your iPhone 3G[S] into DFU/Recovery Mode
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Crafty42 (12-02-2009)

Thanks

Thanks, but I tried as you said, but not working. Holding home button and plugging it back in just brings up the same red battery charging screen...

I'm really getting worried. I don't think the Home button is broke because I can still hold home and power while it's plugged in and it will flash and reboot, but comes right back to same screen. I've tried everything I can google. Some say they got it working by rebooting with it still plugged into the computer, but that didn't work. I'm at a loss, nothing seems to bring it back to life.

Thanks

With it plugged into the computer, hold the home and power button until it shuts off and release quickly without letting it start back up. With the phone off now follow the steps to put the phone into DFU mode. iTunes should recognize the iphone in recovery mode.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Crafty42 (12-02-2009)

Thanks

Tried that several times and several different ways. It always just goes back to the same screen. As soon as it shuts down, I have to unplug it, or it goes to the charging screen automatically. Holding the Home button and plugging it back in...back to same screen. Kept holding...Nothing. I think it's bricked. I'm still googling, but nothing has worked yet.

Thanks

You will have to keep trying unfortunately. There is really no other solution. You can also call Apple or visit the genius bar for a replacement if all else fails. Only other thing I can suggest is leaving it on the charge overnight and coming back to it in the morning.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Crafty42 (12-02-2009)

Thanks

Thanks for the help. I already have an appt for Apple to call me tomorrow at work. I'm just worried that when I get to the genius bar, they are going to find it was JBed and say I voided the warranty and therefore won't cover the repair/replacement. I keep trying everything in different orders, but nothing has worked. This happened once before, but somehow it came back to life through a hard reset. This time, it won't come back. Oh well, guess I'm screwed for now. I'm torn between leaving it plugged in all night, and leaving it off hoping the battery drains completely and trying it after that, but i'm not sure the battery will drain much with if powered off....

Thanks

Don't worry about voiding your warranty because you will not. If they are able to get the phone working while you are there and see it is jailbroken, they will ask you to go home and restore the phone before returning.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Crafty42 (12-01-2009)

Thanks

Ok, well new phone. Bad thing is I'm now at 3.1.2. A friend helped me JB the old one, should I sync now before JBing this one? Do I need a new ipcc for this one? Time to go looking up instructions and getting everything back the way it was....

Thanks

Have you tried holding home + power and then plugging it into the wall charger all at the same time? As soon as you plug it in, let go of home and power. I had this happen and googled it and this is what got me off the charging screen.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by soulthoughts View Post
    Have you tried holding home + power and then plugging it into the wall charger all at the same time? As soon as you plug it in, let go of home and power. I had this happen and googled it and this is what got me off the charging screen.
    I don't think I tried that one, but a 100 other googled things. TOo late now though, got it replaced, now I fear I can't JB it, but not sure how to check the bootloader.

Ok, little more help now... I've got the new phone, and I'm restoring from back up now. I believe it's a refurb SN: 5K946, and week 46, so guessing it has the new bootloader or iboot, or whatever it is. I don't have a mac, so I'm not sure how to check the version of that. Can I jailbreak it, and if so, do I need a new ipcc? I'm searching and reading, but so much posting in the threads, I'm having trouble making out what I can do now.
    Last edited by Crafty42; 12-01-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

You can jailbreak with Blackra1n, but you do indeed have the new iBoot and will need to re run blackra1n everytime you reboot your iphone. You do not need a new ipcc. If you have At&t or an official carrier, the latest ipcc will auto update when you restore or plug into iTunes.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Crafty42 (12-01-2009)

Thanks

Thanks, that's kinda what I'm afraid of. Being away from home and the phone dying or needing reboot and no access to a PC to re-JB it. dammit!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    You can jailbreak with Blackra1n, but you do indeed have the new iBoot
    Are you sure about that? Being a refurb we have no way of knowing when it was originally made. Do they update the iBoot when they refurb or is it like the BL where they don't update it.
    I must say I am not sure so would like some clarification.

Thanks
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

Crafty42 (12-02-2009)

Thanks

In all honesty, it is completely at random. There is no telling anymore with the refurb units. I was told a few weeks ago however that they are trying to replace all refurbs with the new iBoot. However, I cannot confirm this to be fact. I guess time will tell.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Crafty42 (12-02-2009)

Thanks

With the BL they could not change it (not without major surgery), not sure about the iBoot though.

@Crafty42 - If you try BlackRa1n it will work. If you then reboot and need to run BR again you have the new iBoot and tethered JB, if this is the case a restore will remove the JB and get you back to where you are now. If you don't have to run BR again you have the old iBoot and are fine.

Can you try this and let us know how it goes, worst case you have to restore and set your phone up again, best case you have your phone JB.
    He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to confucious For This Useful Post:

Crafty42 (12-02-2009)

Thanks

Unfortunately, I'm at work now, but I can't wait to try this when I get home. I just got to have my categories, backgrounder, and winterboard (to name a few) back.

WOOT WOOT WOOT! WOOT WOOT! Looks like I may be in business, and the BL or iBoot, or whatever it is, wasn't updated. I JBed using blackra1n and shut it off and on, and it seems to boot up just fine! I'm so happy I could cry! Ok, now to work on it for a few hours getting it back the way I liked it... :-) Does anyone know if tethering works?
    Last edited by Crafty42; 12-02-2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Congrats! Yes tethering works.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

Crafty42 (12-02-2009)

Thanks

Sweet! I've been spending the last few hours getting everything back that I had. Winterboard, backgrounder, categories. I want to find a way to get winterboard off the springboard and into settings though.

I'm Thanking you both for every post in this thread! I'm just so happy the JB worked and I don't have to tether it every time! I've already gotten most of my apps and settings back to normal. :-)
    Last edited by Crafty42; 12-02-2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

You are very lucky, enjoy!