Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Is Running Too Slow!! How Do I Make It Faster?

Default Cydia Is Running Too Slow!! How Do I Make It Faster?
    Hi, guys! I got 2 questions about cydia for you to help me:

1) When I start up cydia, it takes too long to load when it's doing the 'Loading Data' thing. I have few sources. So, how do I make it run faster without it loading data for a long time?

2) My internet connection is fast. But, cydia takes a long time to download even small files. How d I fix this?

Thanks

Talking I know its long but i think it will help you Please read :)
    Hi, well first i would need to know what type of phone you have. I assume its a 3g and not a 3gs. I only assume that because I have a 3gs and it runs quick on cydia. So that being said, what sucks is the 3g has a slower processor which runs cydia sloewr...but what you can do to speed things up a little is to remove the backround demons you do not need, Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons ....note this works for all iphones out right now.

I always like to turn my phone on and off a couple times a day...to refresh the memory...when you use your phone the memory goes form 40mb (assuming 3g not 3gs) when you run lots of apps that goes down to 20 mb or lower. Sooo that will result in making cydia a lot slower. Also a lot of sources makes it slow as well.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong on anything .

Edit:
    If small files are downloading slow, it might just be the website that you are downloading off of. Some sites limit your dl speed to 30kb/s so you may be able to download at 50mb/s....but that will be of no use when the website only lets you go at 30kb/s.
    Last edited by gthugballin; 11-06-2009 at 02:56 AM. Reason: forgot

cydia is just pretty slow, you can't really do anything about it.
    on a 3GS it runs a lot faster than on a 2G/3G, which leads me to believe that cydia isn't so slow because of it loading data from the internet, but rather because of the processor of the iphone.

as for downloading files ... what means "slow" and from which source are you loading?

Use rock rather then cydia.. it definitely loads much faster..

Im not sure of the link to disable background services (tho i will check that out) but what i do.. Get sbsettings (a must have).. from there you can kill any process that didnt close "mail, ipod etc" and there is also a option to free up memory.. similar to pc apps.. I usually end up with 50mb free after doing that on a 3G..

Quote Originally Posted by pbateman420 View Post
    Use rock rather then cydia.. it definitely loads much faster..

Im not sure of the link to disable background services (tho i will check that out) but what i do.. Get sbsettings (a must have).. from there you can kill any process that didnt close "mail, ipod etc" and there is also a option to free up memory.. similar to pc apps.. I usually end up with 50mb free after doing that on a 3G..
    rock overwrites mobileSubstrate and has numerous strange bugs, I would stick with cydia even though it's less comfortable and slower - it's more reliable.

and, like I said in other threads, killing mail/ipod does not give you any advantages, and it certainly does not make cydia load faster :-)

I havent found any bugs in it... tho it was just recently updated no? I didnt try it before a week or 2 ago.. love it..

and how do you figure that? killing ipod and mail processes can free up to 30mb of ram.. and thats a hell of alot on a 128mb device... you will also notice apps like rock and cydia use a ton of resources, any ram you can free up will help you.. It wont help you on a 3Gs, but it will certainly on a 3G..

Quote Originally Posted by gthugballin View Post
    Hi, well first i would need to know what type of phone you have. I assume its a 3g and not a 3gs. I only assume that because I have a 3gs and it runs quick on cydia. So that being said, what sucks is the 3g has a slower processor which runs cydia sloewr...but what you can do to speed things up a little is to remove the backround demons you do not need, Speed Up Your iPhone/iPod by Removing Launch Daemons ....note this works for all iphones out right now.

I always like to turn my phone on and off a couple times a day...to refresh the memory...when you use your phone the memory goes form 40mb (assuming 3g not 3gs) when you run lots of apps that goes down to 20 mb or lower. Sooo that will result in making cydia a lot slower. Also a lot of sources makes it slow as well.

feel free to correct me if i'm wrong on anything .

Edit:
    If small files are downloading slow, it might just be the website that you are downloading off of. Some sites limit your dl speed to 30kb/s so you may be able to download at 50mb/s....but that will be of no use when the website only lets you go at 30kb/s.
    I got an iphone 1G running 3.0.1. And I had to restore my phone like 2 weeks ago which had nothing to do with cydia. And I already deleted daemons 2 weeks ago. Before restoring my phone, I had never experienced this slowness before. And I don't have alot of sources. I have relatively few sources. What else could be the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by pbateman420 View Post
    I havent found any bugs in it... tho it was just recently updated no? I didnt try it before a week or 2 ago.. love it..

and how do you figure that? killing ipod and mail processes can free up to 30mb of ram.. and thats a hell of alot on a 128mb device... you will also notice apps like rock and cydia use a ton of resources, any ram you can free up will help you.. It wont help you on a 3Gs, but it will certainly on a 3G..
    well, yeah, admittingly it will free some RAM. if you REALLY need some memory than it might be a good idea, but I think even on a 3G in most cases it's not necessary

not out of the box.. apple was smart in that sense.. but once you start running multiple apps with backgrounder, it absolutely crushes that 128mb..

I can usually get 2 apps open and im in single digit free ram.. and i have noticed cydia/rock usually put a big strain on it as well.. The 3GS is really better equipped to handle what im doing, but i cant afford it.. LOL

The only thing i've really noticed with rock was today.. trying to add "questionable" apps from a repo, wouldnt DL or install, it seems to have mixed up 2 different repo's.. trying to find files from one at the location of the other.. But worked fine with Cydia.. so yeah that kinda sucks.. lol.. only thing so far..
    Last edited by pbateman420; 11-06-2009 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,034 Times in 956 Posts

Do this
    Create a backup copy of /Applications/Cydia.app/package.js and copy it to your PC/Mac using a file transfer method (SCP for example).

Open it up, find the line that reads (it's on line number 208 of the file):
    var depiction = package.depiction;

Change it to:
    var depiction = null;

Save package.js and upload it to your iPhone in /Applications/Cydia.app/, over-writing the old one.

Respring and ur done

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to battlecrushr For This Useful Post:

pbateman420 (11-07-2009), trac3 (10-20-2010)

what will that accomplish? stop the updating? would be nice.. lol

Thanks

No ur cydia will remove most ads and stuff u don't need and it'll go faster

nice, i'll give it a try..

having issues opening the js extension... notepad is very jumbled.. what should i be using here?

got it... go go wordpad! lol
    Last edited by pbateman420; 11-07-2009 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

And to find var depiction fast press ctrl F on it'll say find and then search bar depiction

Hey I just registered to the website to answer to you guys. I have an iPhone 3gs, jailbroken since its arrival with the first 3gs OS that apple made. My cydia works REALLY slow, by meaning around 1 minute for each "Reloading data". And when I search something, again very slow, as is the startup of the app. I actually stopped using cydia and only downloaded ipa files since my first troubles with it... I want to format my iphone sometime but does anyone know if I lose my apps etc? Some are from cydia, some from app store, some downloaded as .ipa's.
    Thank you in advance.

Firstly, I think you mean .deb, not .ipa. .ipa is for appstore apps, not Cydia apps.

Secondly, yes, you will lose your apps, but it's not such a big problem. Appstore apps will be synced back by iTunes after you restore your phone. Cydia apps will have to be redownloaded, although you say you didn't use it much, so that's not a big deal. One thing you need to make sure of is that you have a backup of the .deb files for all the apps you installed manually, otherwise you'll have to track down and download a new copy of them, which might take a while.

Thanks for the fast reply. I did mean .ipa because I only download .ipa from my pc. Cydia apps are coming from cydia -considering they're free-.
    I took screenshots of all my iPhone "desktops" so I won't lose any apps (or at least their names). But my other problem now are photos.
    More specifically, I only have on my laptop my Camera Roll pictures (copy paste from my computer-iphone), but those are 80, while the Photo Library has 285. Isn't there any way to transfer the rest of them to my laptop? If I'm gonna send them with e-mail, how many photos can i send each time?
    Thank you.

Using: iPhone 3gs with the first 3gs firmware (3.0.0 i guess) and windows 7 64-bit with latest itunes.

edit: For others with pic-sync problems:
    Pod Photo Transfer - Free iPod & iPhone Picture Recovery Software . Easy windows app which transfer all your pictures exept Camera roll into your pc. (camera roll pictures can be found in my computer -> iphone -> dcim...).
    Thanks for everything.
    Last edited by orfeas; 08-21-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typo: last->fast