+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone after black ra1n/sn0w jailbreak/unlock

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hey guys, I just recently updated my 3g iPhone to 3.1.2, jailbroke it with blackra1n, and unlocked it with blacksn0w. However, when I connect it to my iTunes (9.0.2), it
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone after black ra1n/sn0w jailbreak/unlock
    Hey guys, I just recently updated my 3g iPhone to 3.1.2, jailbroke it with blackra1n, and unlocked it with blacksn0w. However, when I connect it to my iTunes (9.0.2), it says "iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone..." What can I do? I already installed all my applications and set everything up already. I would hate to do it all over again. All I want to do is sync my windows contacts, music and videos.

Thanks in advance.

Bump. Is there a fix for this?
    Last edited by deadcow; 11-04-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks
    Thanked 1,141 Times in 891 Posts

I have a feeling the only answer you may get is to do a restore. I know how much that sucks but sometimes it helps the problems.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cerote View Post
    I have a feeling the only answer you may get is to do a restore. I know how much that sucks but sometimes it helps the problems.

I just tried to restore. I rejailbroke my iphone and unlocked it again. It failed to be recognized :/

Thanks

Does it recognize it before you unlock it? And on windows or mac? Try a different USB port.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Does it recognize it before you unlock it? And on windows or mac? Try a different USB port.

It does recognize it but I don't have an at&t sim card to activate it so I can't sync regardless. I'm on windows 7, tried all my usb ports, tried it on 3 different computers and 2 different itunes versions.

Thanks

When you ran blackra1n did you use "hacktivation"? Also are all the iTunes account the same account?

Sorry but I am out of ideas for now other than the ones I gave.
    Last edited by Cer0; 11-04-2009 at 08:48 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

deadcow (11-04-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

When you ran blackra1n did you use "hacktivation"? Also are all the iTunes account the same account?

Sorry but I am out of ideas for now other than the ones I gave.
    No I did not use hackivation, I wasn't even aware of it.

Yes, the iTunes accounts were all the same.

and thank you for all your replies.

Thanks

Use the hacktivation process in blackra1n. I have not ran blackra1n yet, but there should be an option to hacktivate it or activate.

Some of what I found was in the iPhone do a reset of settings. Go to settings>general>reset>reset all settings.

Update: We worked the issue out in PMs and here is the solution for future users.

iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone

If you connect your iPhone to iTunes and get the message "iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone," you can easily fix this by removing or renaming the /var/mobile/Media directory:
    $ ssh root@iphone
    Password:
    $ mv /var/mobile/Media /var/mobile/Media.aside
    OR
    $ rm -r /var/mobile/Media
    After this you should be able to sync from iTunes again. Note that it will create the /var/mobile/Media hierarchy from scratch, and you will lose any music, videos, and photos currently on the phone.
    Source: http://gtkpod.wikispaces.com/FAQ
    Last edited by Cer0; 11-04-2009 at 10:08 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cer0 For This Useful Post:

deadcow (11-04-2009), gthugballin (11-06-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

Ah I just about to post this, you beat me to it. Thank you so much for your help. I have also credited you in the hackint0sh forums.

Just a minor add on, if your iTunes crashes when you try to sync or if it says you're missing a file, simply reboot your computer and run iTunes again.

Thanks

Wow I havn't signed into my account there since 2007 lol. Just went and logged in there, I thought I have been there more because I go there but guess I never logged in.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I have the same problem but need more help. Are u running these commands directly thru terminal on the iPhone or using a program such as cyberduck. Is there anything that can be downloaded thru cydia or rock to fix this problem of iTunes not recognizing the device.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I ran into this today. Is there a easier way to fix this other then removing the media folder? I'd think there is?

Thanks

That is the only way that I found and it seems to work. All you will have to do is sync everything back up. You could always SSH in and grab the stuff you really need before doing that though.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

removing the media folder just required me to restore the phone with a backup....

I don't get how this phone just works fine one day and then itunes cannot see the contents of the phone the next day....

Thanks

That is the fun of electronics. They can do funny things.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default "iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone"
    DON”T RESTORE !!!!Found an easier way! just download and install i-funbox i-FunBox | File Manager, Browser, Explorer, Transfer Tool for iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch via USB Connect your iPhone, Go and find “iTunesDB” using i-funbox and delete it, Open iTunes on your PC\Mac and Walla!!! You’re back to Syncing and no more Messages! Enjoy

DON”T RESTORE !!!!Found an easier way! just download and install i-funbox i-FunBox | File Manager, Browser, Explorer, Transfer Tool for iPhone, iPad & iPod Touch via USB Connect your iPhone, Go and find “iTunesDB” using i-funbox and delete it, Open iTunes on your PC\Mac and Walla!!! You’re back to Syncing and no more Messages! Enjoy
    Last edited by hartefbrown1; 04-25-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost