+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Tethering 3GS 3.1.2

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
...
  1. #1
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    20
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts

    Default Tethering 3GS 3.1.2
    I keep reading about that is not possible anymore, but my 3GS 3.1.2 is tethering with a little hack from one of the Cydia repositories. Open Cydia, go to sections/repositories/iPhone-Notes.de and install it, then go to .mobilconfig Generator by iPhone-notes.de and complete the little form and a new mobile config will be sent to your email address and use iPhone Configuration Utility to install it, reboot iPhone and voilą! As always, use at your own risk, ATT might send you a big bill later .
    Sorry if this was posted already, but I was thrilled to have my iPhone tethering again.

    Forgot to mention that on the iPhone-Notes.de repository there is two options for this, one for the 3G and one for the 3GS, pick whichever applies to you.
    Last edited by genuino; 10-21-2009 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genuino For This Useful Post:

    Ackms421 (11-04-2009), gd420mj (12-07-2009)

  3. #2
    Livin the iPhone Life Simtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    2,387
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 304 Times in 276 Posts

    wow....

  4. #3
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    where is the .iphone-notes.de/mobileconfig/ found in the iphone? i have downloaded from cydia, do not understand next step.
    thanks

  5. #4
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Default where is mobileconfig found?
    once you have added the source...

    go to sources
    select iphone-notes
    its no longer called mobileconfig, select 3g/3gs tethering
    install
    reboot
    go to http://www.iphone-notes.de/mobileconfig/on iphone
    (and a computer so you can read the dropdown menu)
    download new config with iphone
    apply
    reboot

    i typed this as i did it and as of 10-24-09 it works...

    previous hacks have broken some other parts but so far mms, tethering, and visual voicemail all seem to be working

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to nickynick For This Useful Post:

    santana85 (02-20-2010)

  7. #5
    Retired Moderator StealthBravo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    TX  Follow me @StealthBravo
    Posts
    32,478
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

    Make sure you backup your phone before doing this. Messing with your commcenter could have bad consequences

  8. #6
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    53
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I have tried it on my 3g phone with version 3.1.2 and can not get it to show are the tethering to work. Any ideas?


    thanks for the help.

    Quote Originally Posted by genuino View Post
    I keep reading about that is not possible anymore, but my 3GS 3.1.2 is tethering with a little hack from one of the Cydia repositories. Open Cydia, go to sections/repositories/iPhone-Notes.de and install it, then go to .mobilconfig Generator by iPhone-notes.de and complete the little form and a new mobile config will be sent to your email address and use iPhone Configuration Utility to install it, reboot iPhone and voilą! As always, use at your own risk, ATT might send you a big bill later .
    Sorry if this was posted already, but I was thrilled to have my iPhone tethering again.

    Forgot to mention that on the iPhone-Notes.de repository there is two options for this, one for the 3G and one for the 3GS, pick whichever applies to you.
    I have tried this and it does not work on my phone? any help on another program or help with this one.

    thanks
    Last edited by CJHmedic; 10-25-2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  9. #7
    Green Apple appleguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by CJHmedic View Post
    I have tried it on my 3g phone with version 3.1.2 and can not get it to show are the tethering to work. Any ideas?


    thanks for the help.



    I have tried this and it does not work on my phone? any help on another program or help with this one.

    thanks
    You did install the proper commcenter hack in cydia, right? Double check.. You want the iPhone 3G one under 3.1.2 Tweaks.

    Once you install that, reboot your phone. Then try this mobileconfig: http://appleguru.org/ATT_Tether.mobileconfig

    (Only use that if you have at&t with a legit iPhone data plan.. if you have another carrier/plan let me know and I'll make sure you get the correct file).

  10. #8
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    downloaded iphone notes de, then 3.12 tweaks, does it automatically work by just installing these or do you have to so something else.
    settings in general under profile shows :us att tethering: the more details shows: advanced settings.
    do i have to start anything or is it on all the time?
    do you just plug in usb, activate wifi, or bluetooth on the phone to computer? i am sorry but i am not understanding.

  11. #9
    Green Apple appleguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by theboogers View Post
    downloaded iphone notes de, then 3.12 tweaks, does it automatically work by just installing these or do you have to so something else.
    settings in general under profile shows :us att tethering: the more details shows: advanced settings.
    do i have to start anything or is it on all the time?
    do you just plug in usb, activate wifi, or bluetooth on the phone to computer? i am sorry but i am not understanding.
    After you install the tweak you still need to install a mobileconfig or ipcc file that has tethering enabled. The patch just bypasses signature checks on commmcenter.

    There are a few "all in one" cydia/rock packages out there now that patch commcenter and install the proper files, but I haven't tested them yet.

  12. #10
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Bricked at pineapple
    Ok, so I thought I would give this a try but now, after trying a reboot, my phone is stuck on the pineapple logo! I did mess with the commcenter file as posted in this form here: THE BEATMIX: Enable Tethering on iPhone 3.1.2 - ONLY 3G & 3GS Supported

    So if you have tried this commcenter hack beware

    I guess my only option now is to restore. Ugh! I have done this so many times its not funny.

  13. #11
    Green Apple
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    72
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    this tutorial helped me finish the tethering.
    3.1.2 iPhone Tethering Tutorial

  14. #12
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by pcandmac View Post
    Ok, so I thought I would give this a try but now, after trying a reboot, my phone is stuck on the pineapple logo! I did mess with the commcenter file as posted in this form here: THE BEATMIX: Enable Tethering on iPhone 3.1.2 - ONLY 3G & 3GS Supported

    So if you have tried this commcenter hack beware

    I guess my only option now is to restore. Ugh! I have done this so many times its not funny.

    Ok restored and reloaded and it works great!! Thanks!

  15. #13
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Can anyone help with an idiots guide to enabling tethering on my 3gs which is currently running 3.1.2 and modem 4.26.08. I am currently using an orange UK pay monthly tariff. It is currently jailbraked/unlocked using redsnow/ultasnow. Everything else is working fine so at present I dont want to change to rain!!! Thanks.

  16. #14
    Green Apple appleguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rgch999 View Post
    Can anyone help with an idiots guide to enabling tethering on my 3gs which is currently running 3.1.2 and modem 4.26.08. I am currently using an orange UK pay monthly tariff. It is currently jailbraked/unlocked using redsnow/ultasnow. Everything else is working fine so at present I dont want to change to rain!!! Thanks.
    The old version of my tutorial should help you out: 3.1.2 iPhone Tethering Tutorial
    An apple a day...

  17. #15
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by appleguru View Post
    The old version of my tutorial should help you out: 3.1.2 iPhone Tethering Tutorial
    Thanks for that. 2 things perhaps you can help with. Does Orange UK support tethering and will they know I am using that facility. Also where do I get the proper mobilconfig file from for Orange Uk. Sorry but I am a bit ignorant on these things!!!!!

  18. #16
    Green Apple appleguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by rgch999 View Post
    Thanks for that. 2 things perhaps you can help with. Does Orange UK support tethering and will they know I am using that facility. Also where do I get the proper mobilconfig file from for Orange Uk. Sorry but I am a bit ignorant on these things!!!!!
    No idea RE Orange's support for tethering, I'd say head over to help.benm.at, but it seems they only have files for O2, T-mobile, and vodaphone. If you can get me your carrier's apn settings for data I can likely make a working mobileconfig for you.

    BTW, looks like they plan on supporting tethering, but at an extra cost to you: http://interest.orange.co.uk/

    (The iPhone isn't out officially with orange in the UK yet)
    Last edited by appleguru; 11-04-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    An apple a day...

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to appleguru For This Useful Post:

    rgch999 (11-04-2009)

  20. #17
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    23
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Appleguru..... many thanks all now installed.I used the APN settings from the cellular data for a custom mobileconfig from the site youlinked me to and I now have the tethering option available. Just need to connect up to check it works. Thanks for your help
    Last edited by rgch999; 11-04-2009 at 11:35 AM.

  21. #18
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I'm still not clear on how this operates as well. does this enable the apple tethering option I came to love on the v3.0? (you know the blue "tethering" msg on the home screen). I can't stand the spotty pdanet connection process, I really loved the plug n play convenience and I've yet to figure out how to re-enable for v3.1.2

  22. #19
    Green Apple appleguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts

    Yes, yes it does.

  23. #20
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    10
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    ^sent you a pm

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts