+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Tethering 3GS 3.1.2

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Tethering 3GS 3.1.2
    I keep reading about that is not possible anymore, but my 3GS 3.1.2 is tethering with a little hack from one of the Cydia repositories. Open Cydia, go to sections/repositories/iPhone-Notes.de and install it, then go to .mobilconfig Generator by iPhone-notes.de and complete the little form and a new mobile config will be sent to your email address and use iPhone Configuration Utility to install it, reboot iPhone and voilą! As always, use at your own risk, ATT might send you a big bill later .
    Sorry if this was posted already, but I was thrilled to have my iPhone tethering again.

Forgot to mention that on the iPhone-Notes.de repository there is two options for this, one for the 3G and one for the 3GS, pick whichever applies to you.
    Last edited by genuino; 10-21-2009 at 08:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to genuino For This Useful Post:

Ackms421 (11-04-2009), gd420mj (12-07-2009)

Thanks

wow....

Green Apple
    Thanks

where is the .iphone-notes.de/mobileconfig/ found in the iphone? i have downloaded from cydia, do not understand next step.
    thanks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default where is mobileconfig found?
    once you have added the source...

go to sources
    select iphone-notes
    its no longer called mobileconfig, select 3g/3gs tethering
    install
    reboot
    go to http://www.iphone-notes.de/mobileconfig/on iphone
    (and a computer so you can read the dropdown menu)
    download new config with iphone
    apply
    reboot

i typed this as i did it and as of 10-24-09 it works...

previous hacks have broken some other parts but so far mms, tethering, and visual voicemail all seem to be working

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nickynick For This Useful Post:

santana85 (02-20-2010)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,328 Times in 3,113 Posts

Make sure you backup your phone before doing this. Messing with your commcenter could have bad consequences

Green Apple
    Thanks

I have tried it on my 3g phone with version 3.1.2 and can not get it to show are the tethering to work. Any ideas?

thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by genuino View Post
    I keep reading about that is not possible anymore, but my 3GS 3.1.2 is tethering with a little hack from one of the Cydia repositories. Open Cydia, go to sections/repositories/iPhone-Notes.de and install it, then go to .mobilconfig Generator by iPhone-notes.de and complete the little form and a new mobile config will be sent to your email address and use iPhone Configuration Utility to install it, reboot iPhone and voilą! As always, use at your own risk, ATT might send you a big bill later .
    Sorry if this was posted already, but I was thrilled to have my iPhone tethering again.

Forgot to mention that on the iPhone-Notes.de repository there is two options for this, one for the 3G and one for the 3GS, pick whichever applies to you.
    I have tried this and it does not work on my phone? any help on another program or help with this one.

thanks
    Last edited by CJHmedic; 10-25-2009 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CJHmedic View Post
    I have tried it on my 3g phone with version 3.1.2 and can not get it to show are the tethering to work. Any ideas?

thanks for the help.

I have tried this and it does not work on my phone? any help on another program or help with this one.

thanks
    You did install the proper commcenter hack in cydia, right? Double check.. You want the iPhone 3G one under 3.1.2 Tweaks.

Once you install that, reboot your phone. Then try this mobileconfig: http://appleguru.org/ATT_Tether.mobileconfig

(Only use that if you have at&t with a legit iPhone data plan.. if you have another carrier/plan let me know and I'll make sure you get the correct file).

Green Apple
    Thanks

downloaded iphone notes de, then 3.12 tweaks, does it automatically work by just installing these or do you have to so something else.
    settings in general under profile shows :us att tethering: the more details shows: advanced settings.
    do i have to start anything or is it on all the time?
    do you just plug in usb, activate wifi, or bluetooth on the phone to computer? i am sorry but i am not understanding.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by theboogers View Post
    downloaded iphone notes de, then 3.12 tweaks, does it automatically work by just installing these or do you have to so something else.
    settings in general under profile shows :us att tethering: the more details shows: advanced settings.
    do i have to start anything or is it on all the time?
    do you just plug in usb, activate wifi, or bluetooth on the phone to computer? i am sorry but i am not understanding.
    After you install the tweak you still need to install a mobileconfig or ipcc file that has tethering enabled. The patch just bypasses signature checks on commmcenter.

There are a few "all in one" cydia/rock packages out there now that patch commcenter and install the proper files, but I haven't tested them yet.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Bricked at pineapple
    Ok, so I thought I would give this a try but now, after trying a reboot, my phone is stuck on the pineapple logo! I did mess with the commcenter file as posted in this form here: THE BEATMIX: Enable Tethering on iPhone 3.1.2 - ONLY 3G & 3GS Supported

So if you have tried this commcenter hack beware

I guess my only option now is to restore. Ugh! I have done this so many times its not funny.

Green Apple
    Thanks

this tutorial helped me finish the tethering.
    3.1.2 iPhone Tethering Tutorial

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pcandmac View Post
    Ok, so I thought I would give this a try but now, after trying a reboot, my phone is stuck on the pineapple logo! I did mess with the commcenter file as posted in this form here: THE BEATMIX: Enable Tethering on iPhone 3.1.2 - ONLY 3G & 3GS Supported

So if you have tried this commcenter hack beware

I guess my only option now is to restore. Ugh! I have done this so many times its not funny.

Ok restored and reloaded and it works great!! Thanks!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can anyone help with an idiots guide to enabling tethering on my 3gs which is currently running 3.1.2 and modem 4.26.08. I am currently using an orange UK pay monthly tariff. It is currently jailbraked/unlocked using redsnow/ultasnow. Everything else is working fine so at present I dont want to change to rain!!! Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rgch999 View Post
    Can anyone help with an idiots guide to enabling tethering on my 3gs which is currently running 3.1.2 and modem 4.26.08. I am currently using an orange UK pay monthly tariff. It is currently jailbraked/unlocked using redsnow/ultasnow. Everything else is working fine so at present I dont want to change to rain!!! Thanks.
    The old version of my tutorial should help you out: 3.1.2 iPhone Tethering Tutorial
    An apple a day...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by appleguru View Post
    The old version of my tutorial should help you out: 3.1.2 iPhone Tethering Tutorial
    Thanks for that. 2 things perhaps you can help with. Does Orange UK support tethering and will they know I am using that facility. Also where do I get the proper mobilconfig file from for Orange Uk. Sorry but I am a bit ignorant on these things!!!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rgch999 View Post
    Thanks for that. 2 things perhaps you can help with. Does Orange UK support tethering and will they know I am using that facility. Also where do I get the proper mobilconfig file from for Orange Uk. Sorry but I am a bit ignorant on these things!!!!!
    No idea RE Orange's support for tethering, I'd say head over to help.benm.at, but it seems they only have files for O2, T-mobile, and vodaphone. If you can get me your carrier's apn settings for data I can likely make a working mobileconfig for you.

BTW, looks like they plan on supporting tethering, but at an extra cost to you: http://interest.orange.co.uk/

(The iPhone isn't out officially with orange in the UK yet)
    Last edited by appleguru; 11-04-2009 at 10:37 AM.
    An apple a day...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to appleguru For This Useful Post:

rgch999 (11-04-2009)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Appleguru..... many thanks all now installed.I used the APN settings from the cellular data for a custom mobileconfig from the site youlinked me to and I now have the tethering option available. Just need to connect up to check it works. Thanks for your help
    Last edited by rgch999; 11-04-2009 at 11:35 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I'm still not clear on how this operates as well. does this enable the apple tethering option I came to love on the v3.0? (you know the blue "tethering" msg on the home screen). I can't stand the spotty pdanet connection process, I really loved the plug n play convenience and I've yet to figure out how to re-enable for v3.1.2

Thanks

Yes, yes it does.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

^sent you a pm