+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Missed incoming Phone calls when EDGE is running.

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I just noticed that incoming calls are being diverted to voice mail when I am using youTube. I tried this several times with my land line, calling the iphone while
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Missed incoming Phone calls when EDGE is running.
    I just noticed that incoming calls are being diverted to voice mail when I am using youTube. I tried this several times with my land line, calling the iphone while the edge is running. Has anyone else experienced this?

I found this is a EDGE/AT&T problem.

http://www.thetechlounge.com/article.../Apple+iPhone/

I am calling AT&T to complain.
    Last edited by johndcurry; 07-10-2007 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life JedixJarf's Avatar
    Thanks

Okay well calling to complain will be useless. Every gprs/edge phone is the same way. The only phone you can talk on and use the data connection on at the same time is a 3G phone due to the WCDMA band.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just spoke with Apple. Both a level 1 and 2 tech support. They are unaware of the problem and are researching it and then level two called me back and told me that is an expected limitation of the EDGE/AT&T network.

Thanks for the comment, JedixJarf. I dont want to use data and voice at the same time. But I would think its not too much for the system to interrupt data to announce an incoming call. Is that too much to ask for. For business, phone calls are priority one.
    Last edited by johndcurry; 07-11-2007 at 09:24 AM.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,797 Times in 1,222 Posts

Right... normally it should do that, and just cut out your data.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am reading online that other 2G systems can serve up an incoming call while the data is flowing. I can only hope that AT&T will see fit to fix it. I am going to call them everyday till they do. :-)

This person "Euclidw" wrote this fine piece on the problem, originally posted on Howard's forum.

Euclidw 07-11-2007 12:21
    Call Apple

Everyone having this issue should call 1-800-MY iPhon. Ask to speak to Tier II support, the person you get may try to help, and may need to give you a case number. You'll probably have to wait a while on hold.

I just spent an hour on the phone with Tier I & II. The tier I guy started by saying that when you use EDGE it will always go to voicemail. I told him, I was on a user forum & some people said they don't have the issue. He then tested it on his phone & experienced the direct to v-mail issue. We talked about how this was a real problem & how both of our nokia phones didn't have this issue (he actually had the E-61 also). He gave me a case number & transferred my to tier II. The tier II guy told me that this was a software issue. That a pop-up needs to be designed into the software to allow the user the option to disconnect the data connection & accept the voice call, or not. I told him that I'd read on a user forum that some users get voice calls while using EDGE. He said that if they are using you tube the call will automatically interrupt & switch out of you tube. We then tested this on my iPhone & it worked (i.e. the call interupted you tube). He said the software currently decides to disconnect data or send calls to voice mail during EDGE transmissions based on what the user is doing. Phone calls take priority over you tube & widgets (stock & weather)but safari and e-mail take priority over phone calls. He said the thought was, it would be more annoying to users to be in the middle of sending an e-mail and having mail disconnected for a phone call, than having the call go to voicemail. The ideal solution is to have a choice (like other phones allow) but right now the iPhone software does not have a pop-up designed allowing the user to accept the call or keep the data connection. (He seemed to be familiar with this on other phones while being tethered to a macbook to use their data connections & getting voice calls during downloads).

He said he was submitting this to the engineering group & said the more people that call tier II about this & submit it as an issue via online feedback, the higher priority it will get to be addressed in the first software update. So if you want to see this fixed start calling and submitting the issue http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html in as much detail as possible (specifically say that other existing phones Nokia S60s etc. have this function).
    Last edited by johndcurry; 07-11-2007 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by poetic_folly View Post
    Right... normally it should do that, and just cut out your data.
    On any phone i've used on ATT's gprs/edge network the data has never cut out for the call.

dfx
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johndcurry View Post
    I am reading online that other 2G systems can serve up an incoming call while the data is flowing. I can only hope that AT&T will see fit to fix it. I am going to call them everyday till they do. :-)

This person "Euclidw" wrote this fine piece on the problem, originally posted on Howard's forum.

Euclidw 07-11-2007 12:21
    Call Apple

Everyone having this issue should call 1-800-MY iPhon. Ask to speak to Tier II support, the person you get may try to help, and may need to give you a case number. You'll probably have to wait a while on hold.

I just spent an hour on the phone with Tier I & II. The tier I guy started by saying that when you use EDGE it will always go to voicemail. I told him, I was on a user forum & some people said they don't have the issue. He then tested it on his phone & experienced the direct to v-mail issue. We talked about how this was a real problem & how both of our nokia phones didn't have this issue (he actually had the E-61 also). He gave me a case number & transferred my to tier II. The tier II guy told me that this was a software issue. That a pop-up needs to be designed into the software to allow the user the option to disconnect the data connection & accept the voice call, or not. I told him that I'd read on a user forum that some users get voice calls while using EDGE. He said that if they are using you tube the call will automatically interrupt & switch out of you tube. We then tested this on my iPhone & it worked (i.e. the call interupted you tube). He said the software currently decides to disconnect data or send calls to voice mail during EDGE transmissions based on what the user is doing. Phone calls take priority over you tube & widgets (stock & weather)but safari and e-mail take priority over phone calls. He said the thought was, it would be more annoying to users to be in the middle of sending an e-mail and having mail disconnected for a phone call, than having the call go to voicemail. The ideal solution is to have a choice (like other phones allow) but right now the iPhone software does not have a pop-up designed allowing the user to accept the call or keep the data connection. (He seemed to be familiar with this on other phones while being tethered to a macbook to use their data connections & getting voice calls during downloads).

He said he was submitting this to the engineering group & said the more people that call tier II about this & submit it as an issue via online feedback, the higher priority it will get to be addressed in the first software update. So if you want to see this fixed start calling and submitting the issue http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html in as much detail as possible (specifically say that other existing phones Nokia S60s etc. have this function).
    Is this your first cell phone?
    EDGE and Phone calls CANT EXIST AT THE SAME TIME!
    Its been like this for years, you an call them all day long, its not going to do any good.

Thanks

Exactly. Thank you.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks
    Thanked 15,269 Times in 652 Posts

yep even with the good old motorola v3xx

Thanks

Not on 3G. at least not for me.

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

cough no 3g in denver cough. edge warrior!

Thanks

Heh, then why do you have a v3xx?

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka cash7c3
    Thanks

er i own modmymoto.com

Thanks

haha good excuse, got rid of my 2 v3xx's , still need to get rid of a RAZR MAXX and ROKR E6