+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How Can I Enable Lanscape SMS on My iPhone 1G on 2.2.1?

is a discussion within the

General iPhone Chat

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hi, guys! I got an iphone on fw 2.2.1 on my iphone 1G. How can I enable SMS text in landscape mode? I used a code to do this, and
    Banned
    Thanks
    Default How Can I Enable Lanscape SMS on My iPhone 1G on 2.2.1?
    Hi, guys! I got an iphone on fw 2.2.1 on my iphone 1G. How can I enable SMS text in landscape mode? I used a code to do this, and the keyboard and message become horizontal... but they're the length size of portrait mode. Any way to get enable this in landscape without any problems? Also, I'm not upgrading to 3.0 for good reasons.

Quote:<key>UIInterfaceOrientation</key>
    <string>UIInterfaceOrientationLandscapeRight</string>

Thanks

You could always install the "iRealSMS Old" package from Cydia.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianCheese View Post
    You could always install the "iRealSMS Old" package from Cydia.
    indiancheese, i don't want to install any app. I want to use a code. If you or someone else knows how to do this, I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by big black; 09-27-2009 at 01:21 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life seann33uk's Avatar
    Thanks

whats your reason for not updating to 3.0?
    i mean your missing out on official, fully working portrait keyboards.
    push notifications on your apps.
    offical MMS
    stabler apps
    and much much more..
    Being an i can be a lot of pressure. you have to live right up to the small point.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 586 Posts

I am also curious of these good reasons as I cannot think of any?
    If I helped you, hit the button or be Banned!

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings
    Need Hardware Repair Support?: PM ME

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by seann33uk View Post
    whats your reason for not updating to 3.0?
    i mean your missing out on official, fully working portrait keyboards.
    push notifications on your apps.
    offical MMS
    stabler apps
    and much much more..
    Hi, seann33uk. To answer your and melech's question, I don't want to update to 3.0 because of horror stories about it draining the battery. Also, some apps I use on 2.2.1 are not supported on 3.0. And, it eats up alot more memory, possibly making it more sluggish. If you guys convince me otherwise, I'd consider upgrading. Otherwise, I'd like a code to enable SMS landscape.

Thanks

There is no "code" upgrade to 3.0, don't believe everything you read about battery drainage.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Simtech View Post
    There is no "code" upgrade to 3.0, don't believe everything you read about battery drainage.
    simtech, thanks for the reassurance. I really want to believe you, but so many users on this forum have complained about battery drainage. That leads me to believe that 3.0 is not a good choice. But again, it's tempting to upgrade to 3.0. It's just that the battery issue is an important factor for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by big black View Post
    simtech, thanks for the reassurance. I really want to believe you, but so many users on this forum have complained about battery drainage. That leads me to believe that 3.0 is not a good choice. But again, it's tempting to upgrade to 3.0. It's just that the battery issue is an important factor for me.

Ok, 3.0 does not cause battery drainage. Battery drainage is almost every time caused by setting a newly restored phone up from a backup rather than setting it up as a new phone. Simply put your phone in DFU mode and option+click restore and select 3.0 or 3.0.1. After it fully restores, set the phone up as a NEW phone. Then sync all of your information back onto the phone. DO NOT however sync a backup or load a backup onto the newly upgraded phone. You will not have any battery drainage issues. If you wish to JB, then run redsn0w afterwards. Again, battery drainage complaints only come from those who restore or setup a phone from a previous backup.

Download Macbook 3.1 for Winterboard-Now LIVE on Cydia-Macbook Final, Macbook Final Widget,Macbook SBSettings

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Melech518 View Post
    Ok, 3.0 does not cause battery drainage. Battery drainage is almost every time caused by setting a newly restored phone up from a backup rather than setting it up as a new phone. Simply put your phone in DFU mode and option+click restore and select 3.0 or 3.0.1. After it fully restores, set the phone up as a NEW phone. Then sync all of your information back onto the phone. DO NOT however sync a backup or load a backup onto the newly upgraded phone. You will not have any battery drainage issues. If you wish to JB, then run redsn0w afterwards. Again, battery drainage complaints only come from those who restore or setup a phone from a previous backup.
    Melech, I got to admit that you're very convincing and reassuring. Considering that I got an iphone 1G, I got questions for you:

1) Which is better for an iphone 1G? 3.0 or 3.0.1?

2) I got tmobile. Will this procedure work to unlock tmobile?

3) Is is possible to mod the phone to enable MMS on my iphone 1G with 3.0 or 3.0.1?

4) Will I need to upgrade to itunes version 9.0.1? I currently have itunes 8.1.1.10.

5) Will upgrading to itunes 9.0.1 cause problems to unlocking and jailbreaking?

6) Does 3.0/3.0.1 boot faster than 2.2.1?

Last edited by big black; 09-28-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks

Melech, I got to admit that you're very convincing and reassuring. Considering that I got an iphone 1G, I got questions for you:

1) Which is better for an iphone 1G? 3.0 or 3.0.1?3.0.1 is more current but either will work fine

2) I got tmobile. Will this procedure work to unlock tmobile?Yes, it will. The first generation phone can always be unlocked. You will need to follow the proper procedures for jailbreaking and unlocking your phone. I can provide you with a few guides if you need it

3) Is is possible to mod the phone to enable MMS on my iphone 1G with 3.0 or 3.0.1?No, not possible on the 1st gen iPhone. You will need to use a third party app

4) Will I need to upgrade to itunes version 9.0.1? I currently have itunes 8.1.1.10. Yes, you will need a current iTunes

5) Will upgrading to itunes 9.0.1 cause problems to unlocking and jailbreaking?No, just follow the proper steps

6) Does 3.0/3.0.1 boot faster than 2.2.1?It will be the same. There are threads on this forum on how to delete certain Launch Daemons to make the boot time faster

Hope that helps
    Last edited by Melech518; 09-28-2009 at 02:30 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

big black (09-28-2009)

Green Apple
    Thanks

1) Which is better for an iphone 1G? 3.0 or 3.0.1?

2) I got tmobile. Will this procedure work to unlock tmobile?

3) Is is possible to mod the phone to enable MMS on my iphone 1G with 3.0 or 3.0.1?

4) Will I need to upgrade to itunes version 9.0.1? I currently have itunes 8.1.1.10.

5) Will upgrading to itunes 9.0.1 cause problems to unlocking and jailbreaking?

6) Does 3.0/3.0.1 boot faster than 2.2.1?

1) 3.0.1; it contains crucial security fixes.

2) You can use ultrasn0w to unlock; just make sure you don't install 3.1, as that will update the baseband to a version that ultrasn0w doesn't work with.

3) I've heard from people that you can, but I haven't looked into it myself.

4) Not sure on this one.

5) I don't believe so.

6) Seems about the same to me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to EricJD For This Useful Post:

big black (09-28-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EricJD View Post
    1) 3.0.1; it contains crucial security fixes.

2) You can use ultrasn0w to unlock; just make sure you don't install 3.1, as that will update the baseband to a version that ultrasn0w doesn't work with.

3) I've heard from people that you can, but I haven't looked into it myself.

4) Not sure on this one.

5) I don't believe so.

6) Seems about the same to me.
    Not really in the position to offer help when giving the wrong info, sorry...

1)3.0.1 did not do anything. The vulnerabilities still exist...
    2)He has a 1st gen iPhone, he will not use ultrasn0w.
    3)Correction to my previous post as well...You can not enable MMS on a 1st gen iPhone. There are 3rd party apps that will allow you to.
    4)You will need at least itunes 8.2, so Yes, he needs to update iTunes.
    Last edited by Melech518; 09-28-2009 at 02:32 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Not really in the position to offer help when giving the wrong info, sorry...

1)3.0.1 did not do anything. The vulnerabilities still exist...
    2)He has a 1st gen iPhone, he will not use ultrasn0w.
    3)Correction to my previous post as well...You can not enable MMS on a 1st gen iPhone. There are 3rd party apps that will allow you to.
    4)You will need at least itunes 8.2, so Yes, he needs to update iTunes.
    Hi, Melech. Can you provide me with guides on upgrading to 3.0.1 for my iphone 1G? You mentioned redsn0w. Can you provide me with links and guides for iphone 1G? Thanks,

Thanks

Hi, Melech. Can you provide me with guides on upgrading to 3.0.1 for my iphone 1G? You mentioned redsn0w. Can you provide me with links and guides for iphone 1G? Thanks,

That's what the "Guides" are for on the top of the page....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Its very simple. google redsnow, download it AND the 3.0.1 ispw. After that all you have to do is simply follow the steps it provides for you...

This really is the only way to help meet your wants. You cant expect to have the same features as updated versions, with an older version forever. At some point your going to need an upgrade... Go for it.

Thanks

Pwnage tool Mac:How to Jailbreak/Unlock/Activate iPhone 2G on 3.0 Firmware - PwnageTool

Redns0w windows:[Windows] How to Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 2G Firmware 3.0 with RedSn0w

Banned
    Thanks
    Hi, Melech. I got a few questions for you before I upgrade to 3.0.1:

1) Will the following guide on upgrading to 3.0 also work for upgrading to 3.0.1 with Windows XP? I ask this because there's 2 redsn0w versions: 0.7.2 and 0.8 and I don't know which is for 3.0.1.

[Windows] How to Jailbreak and Unlock iPhone 2G Firmware 3.0 with RedSn0w

2) I'm confused about what you said. You said:

"battery drainage is caused by setting a newly restored phone from a backup rather than setting it as a new phone. Put your phone in DFU mode and option+click restore and select 3.0 or 3.0.1. After it restores, set the phone up as a NEW phone"..... "If you wish to JB, run redsn0w afterwards."

I assume you meant that to set up my phone as a new phone that I should put my iphone in DFU mode then click on 'restore' in itunes and not 'update'. Is this right? Then after that, run redsn0w to jailbreak and unlock it? I'm really confused about your instructions. Please clarify. Thanks.

Thanks

Well yes you need to put the phone in DFU and restore rather than upgrade. You will need to press the Shift button and press restore and select the 3.0.1 ipsw.

after you restore iTunes will open..It will ask if you want to set the phone up as a new phone or set the phone up from a previous backup. You want to select set up as new.

To JB you are going to need the most current version of redsn0w which is 0.8. You will have to select the 3.0 ipsw in redsn0w to jailbreak 3.0.1.

And YES, that guide is the exact guide you need to follow
    Last edited by Melech518; 09-30-2009 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Melech518 For This Useful Post:

big black (09-30-2009)

Banned
    Thanks
    Well yes you need to put the phone in DFU and restore rather than upgrade. You will need to press the Shift button and press restore and select the 3.0.1 ipsw.

after you restore iTunes will open..It will ask if you want to set the phone up as a new phone or set the phone up from a previous backup. You want to select set up as new.

To JB you are going to need the most current version of redsn0w which is 0.8. You will have to select the 3.0 ipsw in redsn0w to jailbreak 3.0.1.

And YES, that guide is the exact guide you need to follow
    Melech, I thanked you by clicking the 'thanks' button. But, you deserve a more direct thanks than that. Thank you so much for clearing everything up and for lending me your valuable time. I appreciate that alot. Thank you once again.